Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine died at 34K. Covered under warranty though. Had to take it in twice. The first time they just tried to calibrate it. When I showed up a few days later pretty pissed off because I had been there 4 times in 4 weeks (MAF and something else), they replaced it. Haven't had a problem since (3 months)!.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trekie said:
I suppose your car is DBW, they are known to go bad.
Yeah the car is "drive by wire" (talk about an oxymoron!). Really they have been known to go bad? I didn't know this untill now. What causes them to go bad? Could be because im chipped? I wouldnt see how, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What are your symptoms?

Who made the diagnosis?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car would surge a lot when I would apply small amounts of gas and once boost was up to about 5psi when I let go of the gas a little the bost would stick and the car would surge and go nuts. The shop forman at my vw dealer made the diagnosis. I trust him cause we are good friends and he is the onlyone who can touch my car!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same problem, and I cleaned up the TB.
It's better now, but it's not 100% back to normal.
It's just 80% better.
If by cleaning up the TB won't help you solve the problem, then it might be the computer?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys we replaced the TB, and the TB codes are gone. But the car is still acting funny with the original symptoms of the boost sticking. We have no clue whats going on. The tech reset the TB and told me to drive 100 miles then vag the car to see if any codes come up. If not we will take it from there. Grrrrrrr

If you dont know here is an overview of my issue:

Symptoms are: When you give the car light gas and it boosts to about 5 psi, if you slowly ease off the gas pedal you notice the boost is stuck at 5psi and the car surges with a foward and backward feeling. The only way for the boost to dump would be to fully remove your foot off the gas pedal. Also if you drive the car hard, then come to a stop or red light, the second you tap the gas the car jerks foward and then it feels as if the engine is cutting in and out. Wierd or what? My buddy thinks REVO ****ed up my car, but the tech doesnt think so. I have had the idea of buying a used ECU from another Passat just to test the theory, and see if in fact if REVO messed up my ECU.

Since all the fault codes the car was throwing were related to the throttle body, we had that replaced. Now the car is not giving codes but still is acting funny as I mentioned above.

If me and the tech cant figure this out, them im going to see if revo can reflash my ecu with hopes that this is all due to a bad flash.

·
Registered
969 Posts
quailallstar said:
Yeah the car is "drive by wire" (talk about an oxymoron!). Really they have been known to go bad? I didn't know this untill now. What causes them to go bad? Could be because im chipped? I wouldnt see how, but anything is possible.
The chip has nothing to do with it. Not sure exactly what it is inside the TB that causes this. Check the PCV system, Diverter and the N75 valve and make sure you have no vaccum leaks.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No vac leaks cause we checked and the boost guage is right. The DV I replaced with a FORGE 007 (sold thre GFB BOV) long time ago. As for the PCV system, how do I check that?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
quailallstar said:
Symptoms are: When you give the car light gas and it boosts to about 5 psi, if you slowly ease off the gas pedal you notice the boost is stuck at 5psi and the car surges with a foward and backward feeling. The only way for the boost to dump would be to fully remove your foot off the gas pedal. Also if you drive the car hard, then come to a stop or red light, the second you tap the gas the car jerks foward and then it feels as if the engine is cutting in and out. Wierd or what? My buddy thinks REVO ****ed up my car, but the tech doesnt think so. I have had the idea of buying a used ECU from another Passat just to test the theory, and see if in fact if REVO messed up my ECU.

Since all the fault codes the car was throwing were related to the throttle body, we had that replaced. Now the car is not giving codes but still is acting funny as I mentioned above.
Could it be an issue with the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor as opposed to the Throttle Position Sensor?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pete1 said:
Could it be an issue with the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor as opposed to the Throttle Position Sensor?

Throttle Pedal Position Sensor hmmmm.. I thought about this too.. The gas pedal right? I told the tech and he said nahhhh. Is that something easy that I can possible test?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What error codes were you getting? There are various DTC's for the two position sensors inside the throttle body and separate DTC's for the position sensor attached to the gas pedal. The error code "text" is almost identical for each DTC.

Examples:
16504 P0120 Throttle/Pedal Pos.Sensor A Circ Malfunction
16505 P0121 Throttle/Pedal Pos.Sensor A Circ Range/Performance
16506 P0122 Throttle/Pedal Pos.Sensor A Circ Low Input
16507 P0123 Throttle/Pedal Pos.Sensor A Circ High Input
16605 P0221 Throttle Pos. Sensor -B- Circuit Range/Performance
16606 P0222 Throttle Pos. Sensor -B- Circuit Low Input
16607 P0223 Throttle Pos. Sensor -B- Circuit High Input
16609 P0225 Throttle Pos. Sensor -C- Circuit Voltage supply
16610 P0226 Throttle Pos. Sensor -C- Circuit Range/Performance
16611 P0227 Throttle Pos. Sensor -C- Circuit Low Input
16612 P0228 Throttle Pos. Sensor -C- Circuit Hight Input
^^this is not an exhaustive list of Throttle-related DTC's -- there are several more. http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150634

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the DTC's the car gave me two weeks ago before we replaced the TB. Note: Once the TB was replaced no more faults came up (as of Monday). I will vag the car on Friday with hopes that something has shown up.

Check this out guys!

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,55,56,57,58,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine

Controller: 4B0 906 018 CM

Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0006

Coding: 0016551

Shop #: WSC 79923

3 Faults Found:

17951 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Signal too Small