Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
### Update ###

Many people have requested a side shot of my car so I have included what I found to be the closest to what people wanted. I turned the brightness in the photo way up so the wheel gap can be seen.

Here you go:

### End Update ###

So I made a financial boo boo three months back and bought 17" wheels instead of what I wanted, which was 18" wheels. I thought that the 18" would ride too hard, but to my amazment I cannot tell a differnece in ride quality AT ALL between the two setups. And man oh man am I happy with the results! It is EXACTLY what I wanted and what I should have had in the first place!

Let me know if you agree!

- 18" x 8" ASA AR1 wheels (Liscensed by BBS) 35mm Offset
- 235/40-WR18 Sumitomo HTR+ tires
- Eibach Pro-System (Springs & Dampers)

No rubbing whatsover and a much softer ride than I though 18" wheels could ever provide. I'm simply thrilled! :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliments, I think that even though it was only 1" in diameter, it made a big difference in looks!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That looks great!! You were able to fit 235's?? I'm jelous :sad: I ccan oly fit 225's, and i rub :sad: . But i'm also about 2 inches lower 8) .

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice looking ride!!! :thumbup:

Sean :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
questions:

1. Can you provide a full on profile shot from a even position (like even with the driver's door handle?). Like to get a better perspective on how low your car is with the Eibachs.

2. Regarding above question........ what was the drop, and how is the ride?

3. You really like the Sumitomos! Same tires... huh!

NICE RIDE! :bow:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks great. I also hesitated on going with 18s and ended up getting 17s instead. :oops: If I didn't like my BBS RKs so much, maybe I'd switch.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
PIMP PIMP! Hooraaaaaay! My goodness that looks awesome! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
looking good. these wheels are going on my car in the summer. whered you buy them from? how much was the complete package? much props

¤Daniel

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
randy said:
questions:

1. Can you provide a full on profile shot from a even position (like even with the driver's door handle?). Like to get a better perspective on how low your car is with the Eibachs.
I will try to find a picture with that angle tonight and post it here. I have had a couple of requests for that angle (I am gussing just a flat profile side-shot).

2. Regarding above question........ what was the drop, and how is the ride?
I never actually measured the drop, but after a month of settling and removing the spare tire, the ride is about as close to even (front to back) as it is going to get. I am going to guess it was ~1.4" front and ~1.6-1.7" back. The ride is fabulous, not harsh at all, but firm and responsive to the road and corners. It is JUST what I wanted!

3. You really like the Sumitomos! Same tires... huh!

NICE RIDE! :bow:
I actually didn't have the Sumitomos HTR+ for too long to be able to love/hate them, but they performed well in the rain and dry, and the price was right, so I got them again.

Cheers. 8)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ksdesq said:
Looks great. I also hesitated on going with 18s and ended up getting 17s instead. :oops: If I didn't like my BBS RKs so much, maybe I'd switch.
It just depends on the design of the wheel. Some 17's look like 18's if the spokes of the wheel go all the way to the radius of the wheel, but others (like mine) don't "look" as big since the spokes stop about an inch short of the actual wheel radius. I think 17's still look great, but for this wheel, I had to have 18's. :p

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CRD99 said:
Ditto on the above post. I just love the light weight of the RKs.

How much to those wheels weigh? I really like the look, that polished lip goes well with the B5.5!
The TireRack says they weigh 22.0 lbs. a piece, which to me isn't too bad for an 18x8" wheel.

To answer another post, go to www.tirerack.com and throw them on the Passat with some rubber, and you can get an idea of what the package will run you, including shipping. Not too bad of a price for an 18" setup.

·
Registered
174 Posts
They look terrible. I hate 18" wheels. :thumbdow:

Sincerely,

Guy who just bought 17" wheels and also wishes he had opted for the 18's :cry:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LunarDDS said:
They look terrible. I hate 18" wheels. :thumbdow:

Sincerely,

Guy who just bought 17" wheels and also wishes he had opted for the 18's :cry:
Wow, I actually thought you were serious at first, and didn't know what to think! I don't think that all 17" wheels look too small, it just depends on the design, and in my case it was one of them. 8)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts