Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car started it's life out stock as can be.. but not for long. It has had 4 different brands of tires, 4 different brands of wheels, and 2 different suspension setups. Don't be as indecisive as I was.. I am putting this out there to prevent someone falling into the same circle I did.

October 2002, stock with Wellingtons/Conti's:

January 2003, 17X7.5 Audi OEM "Celebration package" RS4 style wheels with 235/45/17 Kumho 711s. My suspension was H&R OE sport springs with stock shocks. The Kumho 711s were the loudest tire I have ever experienced. They had bad traction in the rain as well. The suspension setup with the stock shocks was great... for now.

May 2003, same wheels but with my homemade VW centercaps. I got rid of the noisy Kumho 711s for some 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot HXMX4 tires. They were a very nice all season tire and even provided some snow traction. However, they were not performance oriented at all and would break loose during hard cornering. I was still running the H&R OE sport springs with stock shocks.. still doing great after 5,000 miles.

December 2003, 17X8 Audi A6 4.2 forged/polished wheels made by Ronal... I was told that my 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot HXMX4 tires from my RS4 wheels would fit fine... low and behold they did not and they ended up being stretched and offered no lip protection. I immediately swapped the Michelins for 235/45/17 Dunlop SP9090 tires. This tire was amazingly quiet and performed well in wet conditions. They also had great performance characteristics (plus they were on sale). I was still running the H&R OE sport springs on stock shocks, but at 15,000 miles... the ride was getting too bouncy for my taste.

May 2004, 17X8 BBS VZ's with the Dunlop 235/45/17s from my old wheels. I had to sell the Audi A6 4.2 wheels because I needed the cash. I can feel the difference in weight between the two wheels. I got rid of the H&R OE sport springs and stock shocks and went with the Eibach Pro System (Thanks Bleser) with the low-vin B5 spring perches and packing. The ride with this suspension setup is unbelievable! It is a very luxurious ride but has the ability to back up some aggressive driving. Nose dive is gone along with the "bounce." Not harsh at all unless you are driving in a construction zone.

The low-vin B5 perches and packing help eliminate some of the "butt-drag" (the rear sits lower than the front) effect the Pro System gives B5.5s. All in all I do not regret the progression.. but it did cost me alot of unecessary spending and time. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone straight for H&R sport springs with adjustable perch Bilsteins. I would also have kept my Audi A6 4.2 forged/polished wheels.

Alas, I can't turn back time and I am happy where I stand. I am going back to school in the fall so the mods will stop here for a while. Thanks for looking and I hope this post helps newbies out. Feel free to email or PM me with any questions/comments.

Take care,
Lelo

[email protected]

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I should do the same writeup. I have been thru 4 sets of springs with 3 sets of shocks. Only 2 sets of wheels for me.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Lelo,

Where did you buy the low vin B5 perches? How does it look like compared to the one that came with the Eibach ProSystem.

I think my car is suffering from that butt drag syndrome

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Pro System is a tad stiffer than the H&R OE sports and stock shocks.

The extra drop from using the low-vin B5 spring perches and seat packing is around .25 inches. The rear STILL sits lower in my car, but the result is less dramatic. Here are the part numbers, I bought them from Impex:

Spring Seat - 8D0 412 103 B
Packing - 4D0 412 107 B

Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15776

Regards,
Lelo

·
Registered
3,875 Posts

I am just trying to remember the ProSystem part I think it was 8568.140?

Just dont understand why the front looks higher than the rear as soon as I switched to 235/45/17

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Good write up!
That's why it pays to do some research! I researched alot for suspension and wheels and the results are just what I was looking for :)
For the money there is a group buy for anyone who wants to know for Neuspeed Sport springs & Neuspeed bilsteins which IMO give an excellent ride and handling & the price is great too :wink:
Countless people have gotten in on th GB.........

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do you feel that the Dulop 9090's are wearing well? I have the same set on my car and am going to need tires soon. I am contemplating Toyo Proxy 4's based on the reviews that I have read. I want a decent peforming tire that is quiet and won't break the bank.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.