Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am coming up on my second oil change for my b5.5 and I was wondering if i should do it myself or is it more difficult that your average american car? Do I need any special tools? What oil should i use? What oil filter should I use? :???:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
No different than most other vehicles, just beware of the PITA belly pan. For DIY oil change tip go here.

For oil filter go here & here.

Synthetic oil is highly recommended on this board, other than that you are good to go.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
is yours brand new? or did you buy it used? I personally would just bring it to the dealer and let them do it so that they don't hassle you for any engine you might have in the future.
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
you could do it yourself as long as you keep records of the date and mileage it was done, and have receipts to show when and what oil/filter you used. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
you could do it yourself as long as you keep records of the date and mileage it was done, and have receipts to show when and what oil/filter you used. :)
I always change my own oil (I just don't trust anyone else....plus some of the horror stories you read on the Forum....overfill/underfilled/filter not on tight/belly pan hanging/car damaged etc....) like 'D' said above, keep your oil & filter receipts (use an OEM/Mann or quality filter & VW recommended oil --- I recommend Synthetic) No special tools needed...just a flathead screwdriver for the belly pan screws & a socket for the drain plug (BTW...if you do it yourself pick up a copper crush washer to replace on the drain plug) The oil change is a gravy job too! Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jtpassat said:
is yours brand new? or did you buy it used? I personally would just bring it to the dealer and let them do it so that they don't hassle you for any engine you might have in the future.
I bought it used. I still have awarranty though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2000PASSAT20V said:
D.Passat00 said:
you could do it yourself as long as you keep records of the date and mileage it was done, and have receipts to show when and what oil/filter you used. :)
I always change my own oil (I just don't trust anyone else....plus some of the horror stories you read on the Forum....overfill/underfilled/filter not on tight/belly pan hanging/car damaged etc....) like 'D' said above, keep your oil & filter receipts (use an OEM/Mann or quality filter & VW recommended oil --- I recommend Synthetic) No special tools needed...just a flathead screwdriver for the belly pan screws & a socket for the drain plug (BTW...if you do it yourself pick up a copper crush washer to replace on the drain plug) The oil change is a gravy job too! Good Luck!
If they do the oil change and something like that was to happen to me...does my warranty cover it and they have to pay for damages?
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
if the place that changed your oil messed up, then they are responsible for any damage they did. but honestly, i'd rather do it myself. costs about $30 for the Mann OE filter and OE 5w-40 synthetic, which is about the cost of the oil change. a synthetic oil change would cost you a lot more than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
i found that once i bought the tools ( oil pan and cheap funnle and a filter rench )

its about 50% the price of a regular oil change ( for synthtic anyway) from the shop

your assured everything is good becuase you did it
you can take your time
your cataltic converters will thank you in the long run ( from over fill)


the only down sides i can think of

1) some times messy ( hard for me at least to get the oil back into the containers to give to the autozone for disposal)
2) not quick


but like they say

quick
cheap
works

pick any 2

also what ive done is i keep a ziping notebook in my car and anything i buy or do for the car goes in there

reciptes for oil filters and drain plugs
repair parts
so on and so forth

i write the millage on the recipet so i can keep track
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top