Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mybe it's just personal preference. Maybe it's that they seem to be slowing down. Or maybe it's that the seatbelts in my brothers A4 just work so well.

But whatever it is, my seatbelts retract too slowly. And I think it's getting worse. It's almost to the point where if I'm not careful, I'm going to close them in the door after I get out. Is there any way to adjust how much tension is in the seatbelts so that they will retract (ie. get out of my way) faster?

All help and comments are, as always, appreciated.

-BRad

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I would like to know too... I have found that mine can be tempermental too. Sometimes I find myself feeding it back in to assist the retraction.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty for this reason a couple of years ago. It seems to be slowing down again, though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had my passenger's side belt replaced after complaining about it - service manager agreed it was too slow and did it under warranty. I didn't really notice any improvement with the new one, though maybe it was marginally better. My driver's side belt is very slow, too, but I guess I'm in the habit of feeding it back in when I get out of the car.

Just another sub-par part, I guess. I don't think getting it replaced is going to help anyone out very much unfortunately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My previous Passat (B4, VR6) used to have really good recoilers, so much so that I used to find it cut into my shoulder (not literally! :wink: ) on a long trip...

My B5 has the same problem you guys are discussing, it's almost like our friendly germans have over-reacted to complaints by B4 drivers!

Just my 0.02...

~David~

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, okay. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks these things are too slow. I going in for my 30k service on wednesday and will ask VW about it. See what they think. I was kinda hoping that it'd be a spring they could tighten, but we'll see I guess. I don't really feel like paying anything for it right now. Especially since the it seems like replacing might not fix the problem.

-BRad

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
mine has slowed way down too, almost to the point of annoyance. Right now I can't drive it cause the tails are in jonboy's hands to be tinted. I'm driving the wifes A4, and those belts zip in like it's cool. Maybe I should try some simple green on them and pull them all the way out, and let them retract a few times. I imagine it'd be a good idea to let them dry pulled all the way out. If I'm not too tired after getting home from work in the morning, I'll try this and let everyone know how it goes tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, the stealer wants to charge me $120 for the part and $80 for the labor. Naturally, I'm reluctant. Does anyone have directions/photos of taking apart the B pillar so I can take a look at this? Even better, has anyone done some grease/repair work on their belts and can lend advice?

[edit] $120 (of course) not $1200.

Gracias.

-Brad

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I've replaced several seat belts in B5.5's for this issue. The new one always works better.

I screwed around with a couple of them with the belief that I could find whatever wasn't working, but I do believe the problem truly is in the reel.

·
Registered
418 Posts
methane said:
So, the stealer wants to charge me $1200 for the part and $80 for the labor. Naturally, I'm reluctant. Does anyone have directions/photos of taking apart the B pillar so I can take a look at this? Even better, has anyone done some grease/repair work on their belts and can lend advice?

Gracias.

-Brad
Surely you meant $120!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
rtenke
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing