Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... and I don't care!! :) I dread the Passat doors, and only a regulator or regulator clip breaking would force me back in. Properly dealing with the water seal is the biggest bitch. I use that 3M strip caulk, which works great, but is horrible to manage.

It's such weird behavior, it used to take EXACTLY three pulls on the rear passenger door, and it would open. Not one, not two, nor four, but exactly three pulls. WTF? lol. Now, it won't open at all, not from the inside or out. I don't care, for now.

Now, both the driver's door and passenger's door require two pulls to open. Again, not one, not three, but two exactly. Sometimes I wonder if the engineers designed these gremlins as entertainment. I also wonder if the heat is making this behavior worse.

I know the lock and and open mechanisms quite intimately, as most of you do, as I've done the regulators, clips, lock mechanism microswitch re-soldering, and dealt with the nightmare water seal on the metal panel. So, I'm sure I could figure out the issue if I have the energy to open it. I just think it's funny, the symptoms. It might even just be the cable/notch attachment to the exterior handle. Wouldn't that be nice? Don't even need to take apart the door! Of course, I do need to be able to open the door. I haven't tried the trick on the back door, where you lay your weight into it, push it in, and then pull the handle simultaneously. Will do that next time I drive it. You'd think they'd have some sort of emergency release, that bypasses the regular latch, from the inside when you simply can't get the door open.

Anyway, it's on my list, but I hate those doors.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
I have to do the regulator, window motor and microswitch repair on my front passenger door. Then I have to do all 4 microswitches on the Golf. They open fine from with the handle, just not with the remote or inside button.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think it depends on what your tolerance is for investing more money. I haven't done one for years, but the last time I did I just broke down and bought the whole new regulator panel for about $180. Best move ever in terms of dealing with the leaks: apparently VAG broke down late in the game and included a rubber seal worthy of the name on newer replacement parts. That meant moving the guts of the door was a lot less painful than cleaning the silicone gasket material from the last leak repair then recaulking the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I have to do the regulator, window motor and microswitch repair on my front passenger door.

Same here on my 98 GLS.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
I did the regulator and window motor, found out the motor was not the issue (used one from the donor anyway) as I found the center plastic wheel that holds the cables ends had worn down and the cable ends were grinding on the regulator. I cheated and swapped the door lock from the donor as well. I'll probably take the old one apart to see if I can fix it before digging into the Golf.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it depends on what your tolerance is for investing more money. I haven't done one for years, but the last time I did I just broke down and bought the whole new regulator panel for about $180. Best move ever in terms of dealing with the leaks: apparently VAG broke down late in the game and included a rubber seal worthy of the name on newer replacement parts. That meant moving the guts of the door was a lot less painful than cleaning the silicone gasket material from the last leak repair then recaulking the whole thing.
That corroding foam gasket on the old panels, and the effort to (properly) remove and replace it with something that will last/work, is exactly the reason I won't go into any door again unless absolutely necessary. Why they chose foam as opposed to rubber, with longevity, must simply come down to saving money. It sure cost me a ton of time.

I have zero tolerance for dumping any more money into the VW money pit. I'll always opt for my time and aggravation over shelling out $100's-$1000's for this car, unless it's out of my league.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the regulator and window motor, found out the motor was not the issue (used one from the donor anyway) as I found the center plastic wheel that holds the cables ends had worn down and the cable ends were grinding on the regulator. I cheated and swapped the door lock from the donor as well. I'll probably take the old one apart to see if I can fix it before digging into the Golf.
Can you imagine how much VW dealerships made because of that failing microswitch problem? What a waste too, when the fix is so simple! Was taligentx the first to realize this cold solder/crack issue, or was that someone else? At least he saved some of us a lot of money .... some of us ...

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
The new regulator had a nice thick rubber/foam type of material that does not stick to everything in sight. I gently scraped the old stuff off, it was pretty easy in this heat. It was not perfectly clean, but there was no need for it to be.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new regulator had a nice thick rubber/foam type of material that does not stick to everything in sight. I gently scraped the old stuff off, it was pretty easy in this heat. It was not perfectly clean, but there was no need for it to be.
I assume you mean regulator panel ...., like bvariant refers to? Yes, I've heard it was a big improvement. Too bad they don't sell the rubber seal by itself, or do they? Probably costs as much as the door panel.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
The panel and regulator are one piece. It was $56 on Ebay and it was OEM VW (probably from VW China).

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The panel and regulator are one piece. It was $56 on Ebay and it was OEM VW (probably from VW China).
I didn't realize the regulator is permanently attached to the panel (despite opening the doors umpteen times). I think I've only replaced the clips (maybe the motors?). Would need to look back at my pics. Trying to remember, it's been a while. $56 is CHEAP, and well worth not having to deal with a custom water barrier.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
Yeah, the best I could find now is around $45 plus $60 for shipping from Latvia. It's the same ebay seller I bought my Depo HID headlights from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts