Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to dipping all the chrome on my car this weekend with the help of my fiancee. It was a pretty cool process, and the product works just as advertised. I took some pictures for you guys to see the end results!

Here I am hard at work!

Front Grill & Whatever that chrome paneling with the cornering light is called.

Rear VW, Passat, and more chrome on the bottom.

Before and after on the grille.

I did wrap that black bar all the way around to include the chrome on the doors. I also hit the chrome around the windows which was a HUGE PITA. If anyone else is considering doing this I have some tips. Weather stripping is not your friend, the Plasti Dip will stick to that shit like glue and it is usually too close to the chrome trim to get a good edge when you peel it off. The solution for me was to open my doors and hang some paper up so I could spray without worrying about the weather stripping. However on those small triangular windows in the back this wasn't an option and I'm left with some pretty ugly edges. I think the only solution will be to find a way to remove the weather stripping, spray the chrome, then put the weather stripping back. Does anyone know of a better way or a good way for me to get the weather stripping off? Let me know!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Incredible, I plasti dipped my b5.5 grill, tags and I think thats really all I did and it was a pain in the butt. It seems like you did it all even the trims I wish you had really put up more photos because that's an amazing job you did!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts