Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just going to past my posts; lots of photos taken. This thing was pretty wild.
I had over 240 pictures taken and just got through only processed 33% of them. Just posting them as I took them; the Friday pictures I took one of every car that was ready to roll. Enjoy the first batch:

THURSDAY: getting the car stickered, meeting up with Abel and Aimee and setting up registration:

The first arrivals were all those 'starting' at the S.F. leg

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
VanNess Ave. to 101 was a nightmare; took us like 20 minutes just to get to the onramp. The F430 behind me got ahead and made a wrong turn on 101 to I-80 East (Bay Bridge to Oak-Town!)... C-Ya! Along the way down 101, there was no sign of the convoy but did see Tom's G-machine pulled over (S.F. Police actually pulled their weapons on them from what they told at the gas station), and the light-Blue Murci Spyder was also pulling out his drivers license for a CHP officer.

It wasn't until I got near Salinas that I finally caught up with some of the groups that were gassing up. Some were just leaving, others gassed up before and after us so we were all strung out I guess. BIG thanks to Ed and his wife(?) for supplying me with much needed water! Kirby/Andy caught up with us along with Tom and his female officer ;)

Everyone met at In-N-Out in Paso Robles:

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Great shots! It looks like a great time was had by all!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. In particular, the rolling shots came out better than I would have thought; all I did was just whip out the camera and pointed in the general direction, listen for the 'ready' beep and click. Hard enough to do in an enclosed car but in SNKVNNM, wind is a huge factor - things are being buffeted, hearing the beep was kinda hard. The nice thing about the Nikon D60 is the lens I have has VR (vibration reduction) and it also has an additional "active" mode for sports events - this is on top of the mode selection on the body, which I left in "automatic" mode since I'm only using one hand here (maybe should try 'Sport' mode next time.) But the two Gallardos came out pretty good if I say so myself.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So Newman,

In one of the above pics there is a Gold MB that you labeled as the suprise car. What model was it?? I could not tell what it was? Could you please enlighten me, Sir. I like the MB DTM Black series that was there!!

Thanks for the pics sir.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
So Newman,

In one of the above pics there is a Gold MB that you labeled as the suprise car. What model was it?? I could not tell what it was? Could you please enlighten me, Sir. I like the MB DTM Black series that was there!!

Thanks for the pics sir.
It's a widebody SL65 - probably the AMG Black Series.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Thanks. In particular, the rolling shots came out better than I would have thought; all I did was just whip out the camera and pointed in the general direction, listen for the 'ready' beep and click. Hard enough to do in an enclosed car but in SNKVNNM, wind is a huge factor - things are being buffeted, hearing the beep was kinda hard. The nice thing about the Nikon D60 is the lens I have has VR (vibration reduction) and it also has an additional "active" mode for sports events - this is on top of the mode selection on the body, which I left in "automatic" mode since I'm only using one hand here (maybe should try 'Sport' mode next time.) But the two Gallardos came out pretty good if I say so myself.
Yea, this pic is just awesome:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Newman,

Thanks for the pics sir.
first, it's HERMAN. :D

The MB is a M-B SL model with a Wide Body Kit added. Then wrapped in Gold and CF on the accent parts. The car, the kit and still putting out T-shirts for the rally (he's a sponsor) all done in a 2 months time, right up to Friday night when it was finally stickered.

Misha, the guy who owns it, said the wheels were 22" but were terrible in S.F. and rubbing all over. He will go down to 20" with different off-sets.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
The minivan and the lexus look a bit out of place! :D
The minivan looks like a rental (from the barcode sticker) and the Lexus is owned by a really cool gal that's a big part of the Rally and L4P.

Herman: that Pac G is Kirb's, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts