Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had four different dealers look at my car about a lack of power and and funny noises. They all said that my car has engine sludge and that I will need a replacement engine. They could flush it, but then I would have to change the oil every 1000 miles. i am at my ropes end with this car, it is always something new that breaks with the car. Please do not get me wrong, I love my car, it rides great, excellent features.....but the money I have been having to spend is killing me. I think I will be getting rid of the car soon and be looking for something new. If I stay with VW is still up in the air. I may be looking at a diff car make. I will be getting estimates on a new engin starting tommorow, I will let you all know. If anyone knows how the hell I got engine sludge, please tell me. I change the oil every 3000-3500 miles, new air filter every six months, and keep up mantaince on the car religiously.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Wow, this is hard, sorry mate. Do you have the 1.8T?. I do not know what to tell ya, exept that i have a 1.8T with 60.000 miles on it and have yet to have a major problem, outside of the recall on the coil packs (crossing my fingers). i understand why you want to get rid of it, it makes sense. Good luck with the estimate tomorrow and i hope you get to keep it...........Rah.......... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
424 Posts
That has been one of my many problems with my car, :( " the things going wrong and not the slug". For the last 4 monhs i've been spending about 600bucks a month on repairs. i've got 137,000 on it and it is my everything car, so I feel you. One thing though is I love my car and would get it again if I knew what probs i was going to have. good luck on the choice you make.

·
Registered
773 Posts
that sounds bad, sorry to hear it man! can you (OP) provide us with your specs? engine, mileage, etc.? dyno oil is cheap for v6 and if you do it yourself every 1000 miles, it shouldn't be more than an annoyance. but I know I wouldn't want to be in that situation. never understood "sludge," but it sounds very nasty/fatal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know about your individual situation but my engine was saved simply by cleaning it out.

In Dec03 I took my US 1.8t in (~60k miles) because of noise at the top of the engine. It was cleaned out and operates fine now. The final impact on reliability is anybody's guess.

Toyota owners with sludge problems were faced with dealers very agressively talking them into engine rebuilds or replacements ($2-8k). I would generalize and say this seems to occur when dealers realize its a common problem and they can profit from it.

Good luck - Scott

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd really get a second opinion from an independent shop, I've seen some engines with a massive amount of sludge in em over the years, and we always just flushed em out clean, and started over again, and to this day we've never had an issue. try the cheap way first and start putting some good oil in. I bet you're problems will disappear, and if they don't nothing is really lost. it seems the dealer fix for almost everything on these cars is replace the motor.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Do a search on Auto Rx. It sounds like a good product/process. I have just completed doing two engine cleanings. I used Amsoil's engine cleaner, but the potential benefit I understand about Auto Rx is it does it more slowly, reducing the chance of a big bunch of junk clogging your oil pump.

I agree with the second opinion idea, but it can't hurt to run the Auto Rx while you are going thru this.

(Mine is a '99 1.8t with 67,000 miles. The original owner used dino every 5,000, I used dino every 3,000 from 36,000 on. I changed the oil 3 times in quick succession right after I bought it.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to use Synthetic, no? Haven't heard of synthetic sludging up in any VW or Lexus forum (we also have an '01 RX300, aka The Kiddie Transport).

Valvoline SynPower 5w-40! :thumbup:

Did you drive your car hard?
Do you have a chip?
Any other mods?
Any previous engine issues?

Seems strange that it would happen all of a sudden. Plus if you have receipts of oil changes at the recommended intervals, and your car is under 100k, wouldn't this fall under the powertrain warranty?

-Craig

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
who can remove oil sludge? can this be done by the dealership?

I dont use synth oil in my car but I follow the recommended oil change intervals. I am also chipped. Do I risk having oil sludge?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
tngdesi said:
I just had four different dealers look at my car about a lack of power and and funny noises. They all said that my car has engine sludge and that I will need a replacement engine. They could flush it, but then I would have to change the oil every 1000 miles.
Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear the news. Well, even after the four dealers, I'd still follow the suggest for an indie to look at it. We need to learn from your experience. We already know about the 3,000 to 3,500 mile OCI. If it's not too painful, could you tell us:

1) What engine do you have (year and model, too)?
2) How many miles on the car now?
3) What oil did you use (dino, synth, brand)?
4) Driving environment (lots of short trips, stop n' go commute, long distance driving).

I think we would all appreciate hearing more details, so we can avoid the same outcome. Keep us posted on what happens next.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LSudge only occurs from mineral based oils. And synths dont encounter them. Now is the time I question car manufaturers around the world saying that service intervals on modern engines can be @ 15, 20 or 25K kms even in the case of BMW in Australia! I however, in your scenario, defnitely get a second opinion because I have encountered this before in 3 different cars belonging to friends and we fixed it by flushing (one Beemer was done 3 times) and then running sythetic only from that day forward.... :suspicio:

·
Registered
172 Posts
What dealership?

Just wondering because we live in the same area. I stopped taking my two Passat's (mine and my wife's) to Oursman. Service really went downhill there after Tischer sold their VW dealership to them IMO.

Anyway, they told my wife she needed her v-belt replaced and quoted a rather steep price. We took her car to another dealer, they told my wife the v-belt was fine and did not need replacing but they said they could go ahead and do the work if she really wanted. Price to replace? Over $100 less than the quote from Oursman. We didn't get the belt replaced and she has been in for service many times after and still does not have to have the v-belt replaced.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your problems but check out another dealer or independant shop. Something doesn't sound quite right. Your engine is in alot of different cars (New Beetle, Audi A4, Audi TT, Jetta, etc.). Unless there is something wrong with your engine, you would think that this problem would pop-up more often.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
iconnx - synthetics can absolutely sludge. I'm an oil chemist and study friction for a living. However, the thermal breakdown points for synthetics are much higher than those for mineral based oils, so they sludge considerably less. But 10K in out little sumps and even the best of the synthetics will be screaming for help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to let some of you know, the car has no mods expect for exterior stuff. I have been using regular oil in the car. I drive faster than the average person, but I am not nuts. I have an appt at two duff independent shops, one the specializes in German car and has a good rep in this area in the next 3 hours. I will let you all know tonight.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Since you're in Columbia, I hope one of the 2 indies is NGP Racing in Aberdeen? I haven't been there, but they are highly recommended in the area for VW enthusiasts. About 45 min from you up I-95. I think Swami has a spot in Silver Spring that he recommends. Can't think of the name. Send him a PM, he'll hook you up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: What dealership?

IMNewtMan said:
Just wondering because we live in the same area. I stopped taking my two Passat's (mine and my wife's) to Oursman. Service really went downhill there after Tischer sold their VW dealership to them IMO.

Anyway, they told my wife she needed her v-belt replaced and quoted a rather steep price. We took her car to another dealer, they told my wife the v-belt was fine and did not need replacing but they said they could go ahead and do the work if she really wanted. Price to replace? Over $100 less than the quote from Oursman. We didn't get the belt replaced and she has been in for service many times after and still does not have to have the v-belt replaced.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your problems but check out another dealer or independant shop. Something doesn't sound quite right. Your engine is in alot of different cars (New Beetle, Audi A4, Audi TT, Jetta, etc.). Unless there is something wrong with your engine, you would think that this problem would pop-up more often.
IMNewtMan,

Just curious - where do you take your car now? I have a feeling you're going to say Russell. If you don't mind a drive north (35 min), Valley Motors in Cockeysville (York Rd) has been good to me regarding service and parts. Plus they are an Audi/Porsche dealer, so plenty of experience on hand regarding the VW engines and cars. The Audi connection is why I specifically picked this dealer once hearing the VW service horror stories.

Tngdesi, if possible you should consider Valley Motors also.

Mike

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
atomicalex said:
iconnx - synthetics can absolutely sludge. I'm an oil chemist and study friction for a living. However, the thermal breakdown points for synthetics are much higher than those for mineral based oils, so they sludge considerably less. But 10K in out little sumps and even the best of the synthetics will be screaming for help.

SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGES EVERY 3000 MILES WITH A 1.8T !!!

The Crotchety Old Bastard has spoken.... :crazy:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
tngdesi, I think you should get a 2nd opinion. Which stealership did you visit?

You might want to visit a local service center and have your car hooked up to a BG PowerFlush machine and replace the oil-pump. This system does a full Engine Purge and removes sludge and other deposits from the engine.

How many miles are on your VW? Are you past the 100K warranty period??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts