Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I recently had my car's tires rotated (tires are pretty new) at Goodyear tires and after that my car started pulling severely to the right while driving. I went back there to have it checked out and they said that I should get an alignment, so I did. My car still pulls to the right while driving. So, I called them up and described the situation. They said b/c my car was out of alignment, the two front tires should be changed soon b/c they got worn out on the edges and that could be the cause of my car pulling to the right still.

I did some search on Google and here is what I found out: One of the most common reasons why your car pulls to the right is uneven air pressure in your tires. A tire with lower pressure on one side of the vehicle has a different height which causes the wheel alignment to shift. Under-inflated tires have an increased resistance to roll, which amplifies steering pull.

What's the tire pressure for front tires for Passat?

Should get new tires to stop my car pulling to the right?

I appreciate any information/insight you can provide.

Thank you so much,
Ellie

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,590 Posts
Can you get before and after readings of the alignment? These cars rarely "lose" alignment. In 170k, I have only aligned 3 times and that is because I replaced the the rod ends. Perfect wear on the tires.

Uneven wear indicates a worn component. Realigning to correct doesn't fix a worn component. If you switch the tires left and right and it pulls to the opposite direction, then I would blame the tire.

Tire pressures should be in the driver door jamb or on the fuel filler flap.

Reactions: jjpark and Ellie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you VAGguy! Please see pic of the alignment measurements. I changed my tires about a year ago and my car was doing just fine. Not sure even the rotation was necessary. There was one tire that had nail in it. They fixed it before, but kept on giving out air. They fixed it again when they did the alignment. I admit, I got sucked into buying unlimited alignment for 3 year at the cost of $149.99 (big mistake from my end). They said I should get alignment every 5000 miles and it more economical that I buy the 3 years one instead of paying $89.99 for one time alignment.
IMG_7061.jpg

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
If you switch the tires left and right and it pulls to the opposite direction, then I would blame the tire.
That's a good idea, although it may not be advisable to drive with the radial tires reversed long-term. I would certainly check the tire pressures, and suggest that you try inflating them to the maximum pressure recommended, to avoid scuffing at the outside edges.

The fact that the pulling began right after a tire rotation suggests that something was wrong with at least one tire. At the very least, have the alignment tech go for a test ride with you next time. Perhaps have the tires put back where they were and see if the steering returns to normal.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
All good points above. I personally don't like the camber. They are both leaning to the left. I can't make out the actual values towards the top of the image but it clearly shows the camber is out before and after the alignment. I'd be inclined to suspect the upper control arms for either bad ball joints at the steering knuckle (pinch bolt area) and or the rubber bushings at the attachment point on the strut mounting bracket.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,590 Posts
That's a good idea, although it may not be advisable to drive with the radial tires reversed long-term. I would certainly check the tire pressures, and suggest that you try inflating them to the maximum pressure recommended, to avoid scuffing at the outside edges.

The fact that the pulling began right after a tire rotation suggests that something was wrong with at least one tire. At the very least, have the alignment tech go for a test ride with you next time. Perhaps have the tires put back where they were and see if the steering returns to normal.

The fact that it’s a radial should make no difference. As long as the tire is not directional, it should not be detrimental as long as there is no established wear pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am reposting because I never answered your questions. And I have other input that didn't post on before.

I recently had my car's tires rotated (tires are pretty new) at Goodyear tires and after that my car started pulling severely to the right while driving. I went back there to have it checked out and they said that I should get an alignment, so I did. My car still pulls to the right while driving. So, I called them up and described the situation. They said b/c my car was out of alignment, the two front tires should be changed soon b/c they got worn out on the edges and that could be the cause of my car pulling to the right still.

This whole thing smells rotten.

So after the tire rotation the car now pulls to the right.

Did it pull to either side before this?

You take the car back and then they tell you it needs an alignment? Per the before specs in the image yeah it was obvious it needed an alignment. The pulling to one side should have sent up a signal right there.
Now they tell you because of the alignment the tires wore so bad to cause the car to pull to one side. I'm calling BS!

RIGHT HERE, this where a reputable and knowledgeable mechanic should've / would've gone down the right path of diagnoses.

Unless you have a HUGE gap in time when this all happened that your not telling us, something is clearly wrong here.
If the tires are worn that bad, this should have been a giant red flag. And actually at this point in time they should have not given you the car back because of safety concerns.

For a tire to pull the car to one side or the other, it would have to significantly feathered, the inside or outside corner of the tire has a flat spot worn all the around the edge or severe cupping. There is also ply separation where the physical components inside the tire start coming apart, but that does not sound like the case here, nor do I want complicate anything that doesn't need be or belong in this discussion.
I'm excluding the chance of tire pressure being the cause here, because if tire pressure were the issue and the garage is doing what it's doing, well then they are more stupid than I already think they are.

These asshats are stealing your money and they should be shot because of it.
This back and forth with the alignment and tire rotation / replacement is total BS!
The reason why I'm being so harsh, are the results themselves.
The camber is clearly out of spec before and after the alignment.
I bet you anything if you were to take the car back in have them fix the camber issue they would THEN tell you that you need a bunch suspension work done.
This all should have been noticed up front.
As long as you are running stock suspension, the camber setting is built into the cars suspension geometry and should always be in spec. If it's not something is wrong. Period.

What's the tire pressure for front tires for Passat?
I normally run 36PSI in my front tires.
32PSI in the rears.
And yes low pressure in a tire can cause the car to pull or wonder while driving down the road.

Should I get new tires to stop my car pulling to the right?
If your tires are so worn that it's dangerous to drive, then yes replace them. But not before a reputable mechanic can fix the alignment issue with your car.

To see if the tires are actually causing the car to pull, switch the fronts to the rears and the rears to the fronts and see what happens.

Reactions: Ellie and jjpark

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
On a side note: this is a way to common theme for Goodyear tire centers. As an example, back in WI where I lived this type of customer service was the norm for that place and yes it was a Goodyear store. Most of the mouth breathers they had walking around the place were rejects from other automotive service stations in town that couldn't cut it because they didn't know what end of a screwdriver to hold on to.
What's interesting about the place I'm referring to, a number of years back they changed their menu of automotive services and now they mostly do emissions testing for the state of WI.
And they still have trouble at doing that. I was forced to take my Passat to this very place a few years back to get my yearly registration renewed as it had expired a few days ealier. The girl told me that my car must be different from all the rest because the interface cable wouldn't plug in. I wished I could've seen my own face at that moment. I was so stunned by that statement it took me about 20 seconds before I could even muster up the ability to respond. It was at that point a zillion things were racing trough my mind to say to her, but all I said was "I'll pray for you cause you're going to need something." I then left the facility with my expired registration.
I personally have nothing but utter disdain for the Goodyear service centers.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
AndreasPassat is spot on with his replies. That tire shop sucks!!

Air pressure is the 1st thing I would check. I have a slow leak and when the tires pressure gets a little low it pulls. Cars will naturally pull/drift to the right a little due to the roads slope to the right for rain water runoff.

I would find another reputable shop and take it there. Most people will do a free alignment check and while they have it on the rack have then check all the suspension components. They already should be checking them if the shop is any good.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much everyone! Greatly appreciate your insights and all the helpful information.

History:

I took my car to Goodyear on April 2nd for oil change. I asked them to check my break and tires. Rotate tires if necessary. At that juncture my tires seemed all fine, because I had them all replaced at VW dealership about a year ago. They changed oil, said break are all fine and have ton of life. They rotated the tires.

There was one tire that had a nail in it 4 months ago, which they fixed, but I had noticed the air in that tire continues to go out as the tire would get low. I went back there and they said that the environment air (hot and cold) impacts the tire air pressure. I asked how come that doesn't apply to the rest of the tires and the manager got upset and said they'll look into it. He came back and said there was a nail in it and they fixed it.

After I left their shop on April 2nd, my car severely pulled to the right. So, I called and made an appointment to have it checked out. They said my car needs an alignment. I fully admit that I got sucked into buying unlimited alignment for 3 years at the cost of $149.99. The alignment was done on April 12.

At that juncture they said because I drove my car for 10 days (I did not drive my car every day or for miles, just around the town for groceries) w/o alignment, two of my tires are kind of worn on the edges and I should get two new tires within 5,000.00 miles.

On April 2nd, I told the manager that the tire air pressures are written on the gas tank flap and please ask your mechanic to apply that that. I even showed it to him. He said we go by what the VW manufacture says in their system. So, they set tire pressure at 30 in rare and 29 in front. I said that's not correct and he got upset. Then, on April 12 they said they reset the tires air pressure.

After the alignment and tire air pressure adjustment my car still pulled to the right. So, I went back there yesterday and asked them to reset the tire air pressure per the standard on the gas tank flap. I watched the mechanic who was adjusting the air pressure in the tires, since he was doing it in the parking lot in front of their garage. Each tire had a different air pressure. The two in the front were 37 and 36 and the two in the back were 34 and 33. I asked the manager that clearly the tires air pressures were not set up based on what says on the gas tank flap. He said we are going by the manufacturing standards. I said what on the gas tank flap is from the car manufacturer, VW. Then I asked how come the air pressure in each tire was different and of course he said the environment impacts the tire air pressure.

Apparently, my car needed an alignment and perhaps the tire that was fixed twice by them and now after the rotation in placed on the front passenger side might have caused my car pull to the right, but before the tire rotation my car was doing just fine.

Additionally, after adjusting the air pressures in the tire yesterday, my car drives much more smoothly, and it pulls minutely to the right.

Dealing with these people is a nightmare to say the least. They think they know it all, absolutely detest intelligent customers or anyone who questions their performance. Apparently, their quota is not to do a good job, re-do their poor job and still not getting it right, suggest other things to be fixed, so that they can make more money. Kind of like the VW dealerships that I dealt with.

Thank you again everyone for your continued support. You guys are the best.
Ellie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts