Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2001 B5 GLX V6 5-speed for about a year now. I drive it all the time except winter, when I drive my 4X4 truck (I commute in North Dakota).

This vehicle has ruined me. Because of my Passat, I now expect great fit and finish in all vehicles. Because of my Passat, I expect very good steering and brake feel. Because of my Passat, I expect nimble handling and tons of features in the car.

Because of my Passat, my expectations for how a vehicle should drive have been raised so high that I'm often disappointed in other cars. I can no longer be comfortable with mushy brakes, dead steering, iffy fit and finish, and a lack of features.

While I still like my truck a lot, its poor steering and brake feel and average fit and finish are now glaring defects vs. "one of those things". (Ya, I know, trucks and sedans are different, but you know what I mean).
Sure, the Passat is not the perfect car, but it's better than anything else I've ever had or driven.

Sigh, it's like using margerine your whole life until finally tasting real butter...after that, you can never go back to the imitation stuff.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I kinda agree and kinda disagree. :) I think that all of the above mentioned things are wonderful. My Passat certainly wins hands down when compared to other cars I've had when it comes to those things.

I just wish that VW could somehow get rid of the pesky little problems that seem to plague our poor Passats. This group is a very, very small fraction of the Passat owners in the world. Look at the consistant problems our members have with things like controls arms going bad early...like the fluid leaks...like the mounts going bad. Then multiply those problems by all the other Passat owners that are not on these boards. Seems like a major problem that VW chooses to ignore and that bothers me.

I have never heard of other vehicles having those issues at such low mileage and I don't see why Passats should. I've also not heard of other dealerships having such issues with their customers. I'm not knocking my Passat, but it just seems like these are things that could be fixed and that are ignored or at least not corrected.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hahahaha the winter beater syndrome!!! :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I couldn't agree more on interior fit/finish. I recently testdrove the new Saab 92x and wasn't impressed at all. It was so cheaply put together. I realize it's a rebadged Subaru...but even with the leather, sunroof, upgraded console, etc....it still looked/felt cheap compared to the passat.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I agree with you as well, even if i drove better cars then the Passat before (01 M5 :lol: to name one) but this is the best car i have ever owned myself, i simply love this car :thumbup: :bow: :thumbup: :bow: :thumbup: . I do not drive it often since my wife likes it as much as i do :mad: (she loves the Passat) :lol: , she drives during the week to work, but it makes me appriciate the car even more on the week-ends :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I know exactly what you mean I own a MB C280 the car is not perfect but it is quiet the brakes are great, the steering is heavily weighted and so is the accelorator pedal. I decided I needed another car so that the benz does not get to much wear and tear. Beside I got tired of detailing the "parchment" (very light tan) every month, so I decide that I would buy a passat since I had passed one up to buy the Benz. In other cars they feel cheap and light compared to the feel of the benz, but when I get into the Passat It like I am still in the family. Many people wouldn't notice if they are not exposed to Benzes but VW pulls heavily from convenience features that MB puts into their cars. A few examples are.

1. The folding key

2. The convenience open/close of windows and sunroof

3. Material fit and finish

4. sound system options

5 general boring styling (should be read long lasting styling very conservative)

I actually prefer to drive the Passat over the benz but the Benz feel more solid like it will outlast the Passat from a durability stand point.

I hang out at my Mechanic's shop quite often, so I get to check out some of the customers cars alot.

I will say this BMW's 3 series are faster and more sporty but there overall reliability is no better than a VW and there interiors don't wear as well ( most of them suffer from looking shitty after a couple of years. The leather is not that durable. The 5 series is a much better car to get.

My mechanic on the other hand Loves BMW's , hated Mercedes and has quite honestly owned more VW's than BMW's he will tell you this He would take a VW over a benz any day.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In general car manufacturers are years behind on the sound system, hardly any offer MP3 players and built in satellite radio. Of course they offer bloody OnStar, but they get a kickback from the subscription don't they? No kickback from the MP3 players.

Who uses casettes? I haven't bought one in 20 years! TWENTY BLOODY YEARS OUT OF DATE!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Because of my Passat, I expect very good steering and brake feel. Because of my Passat, I expect nimble handling and tons of features in the car.
Of course, you cant be talking about a factory passat, right? :nervous:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Funny - a co-worker said that he didn't think my Passat had as high of quality of interior as his Hyundai (*spelling). I was like, "[email protected]!" - he just about walked back from lunch... ;)

He was wrong... don't know what he was

My Passat makes me thankful that I got an 02 with vent lights and other little stuff that they've eliminated on newer Passats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.