Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyways, went to day to look at a B6 Passat Sedan, 3.6 FWD. It turned out to be a fiasco anyways, the car had an ugly lime green pinstripe, body damage, and a hold in the parking brake button. :icon_eek: Oh yeah, here is the best part, they wanted to give me $1500 for my 02 Passat with 80k miles. :crazy:

anyways, I just replaced the battery today, with a brand new Bosch battery. When I go to turn the ignition, the car does absolutely nothing, no crank, no noise, nothing. I can't even turn on an interior light, the radio or lock the car. I have the dreaded EPC light now also. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? It is really frustraing that the car has been rock solid with no problems, and now it decides to crap out on me when I am trying to sell it. :banghead: FWIW the car was running perfect before I bought the battery, I had even just had it fully checked at the stealership, and they said that there was nothing wrong with the car. :rolleyes: Any help/advice/tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
FYI-I bought a new battery for the passat, same thing happened. The F*@#ing new battery that I just bought was dead!! It took a while to figure it out, exchanged it and all good with no worries;) Perhaps it could be that, just a thought.

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And to think I thought a Bosch battery would be of the highest quality. :crazy: It even has an August build date. So much for that, I will go back today, and report back. On a side note, my door will not close when I shut the door, any ideas?

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
the hinge is prolly stuck open, hit it with some white lithium grease and use a screw driver to get it to open and close a few times.

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try that. So new update in the never ending saga. Went to replace the battery, turns out the first was one was shot. Install the new battery, the car starts up the first turn of the key, no issues. Go home, try to start the car again nothing, but rapid machine gun fire clicking. No radio, nothing. I open the hood to investigate the loud clicking noise, and it is coming from that metal thing with the black wires coming out of it that says Bosch, The distributor I think? It is right next to the cooland reservoir/power steering. Anyways, that is what is making the clicking noise. Anyone have any ides? thanks to everyone who has helped out so far. :bowdown:

·
9,018 Posts
check your fuses, ground, etc. Give a general overlook of all electrical stuff and see if anything is loose or corroded.

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check your fuses, ground, etc. Give a general overlook of all electrical stuff and see if anything is loose or corroded.
dumb question, but what areas exactly would I be looking at? I know how to check the fuses, but not so sure as far as wires, grounds, etc.

·
9,018 Posts
check your battery connections first off, especially the ground, then go look around the engine, especially the left side by the intake, check all the wires you see. also check your MAF sensor. loss of vaccuum will not let the engine start.

Do you have 1.8 or v6?

·
9,018 Posts
hmm, it'll be harder for me to tell you exact locations. Just give it a look over. Any wire you see, make sure it's securely attached and no corrosion.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
FWIW

For as many posts and the length of your PW tenure you'd think that you
would at least in your profile or your 1st post since you own two P I [email protected] IT's: is it 1.8T or V6?

Altho, it is water under the bridge, IMHO it's also best to get the Duralast
at AutoZone since they install and MAKE SURE it works before you pay or leave the premises: vs all the inefficient and aggravating experience you had with the battery.

Do you need to do a DBW adaptation?

Since everything was running fine prior to all: review ALL your steps to check
connections.

GL

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW

For as many posts and the length of your PW tenure you'd think that you
would at least in your profile or your 1st post since you own two P I [email protected] IT's: is it 1.8T or V6?

Altho, it is water under the bridge, IMHO it's also best to get the Duralast
at AutoZone since they install and MAKE SURE it works before you pay or leave the premises: vs all the inefficient and aggravating experience you had with the battery.

Do you need to do a DBW adaptation?

Since everything was running fine prior to all: review ALL your steps to check
connections.

GL
Both of the Passats, the 02 and the 98 are both 1.8t's. The Battery, I just got the cheapest battery I could find. What is DBW? As for steps, I unpluuged the cables, cleaned the contact points and hooked it up. did I miss anything? thanks for the help.

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
have you tried to jump it? If it's clicking and it's not starting, could be a bad alternator.
I can jump it and it will start. It's just that once I turn it off, the car won't start. Isn't 80k miles a bit premature for an alternator to fail?

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So just looked, and two of the fuses are lit up/glowing, doesn't this mean that they are blown? Didn't notice anything strange in the engine compartment.

·
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read the entire thread and saw nothing about DBW adaptation, or at least not how you can fix it if you completely unplugged the old battery. Also does a glowing fuse=a dead fuse? I will check again as to which fuse is glowing.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
I read the entire thread and saw nothing about DBW adaptation, or at least not how you can fix it if you completely unplugged the old battery. Also does a glowing fuse=a dead fuse? I will check again as to which fuse is glowing.
Take a good look at the bottom of post#9 by Wootar. Then follow it up with
a search to do the following correctly:

IIRC to do a DBW adaptation (you need to recheck the following):
Put key in ignition to the position BEFORE car turns over and open driver door, hold that to 30 secs; close door and take key out of ignition.

Inexpensive to replace any questionable fuse.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts