Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Here they are. I can't wait until my tires come through. What size tires are other club members running with their 19's? I was thinking 225/35/19's. Tire Rack has some of the best shipping rates for all of you Alaska residents. Shipping only took three days.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If you can put the widest tires on the back as possible! But then you would also need wider rims, :roll: :sigh: ignore me.

I like your rims and I hope that you get the tires of your choice! Please post pics of them when they are on!

Rich :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
ignore everyone.

225/35 is closer to the stock diameter then 235/35. 235/35 is a half inch too tall. 225/35 will give you a more accurate speedo reading and will most likely rubb less, depending on your drop. But hey, go with whatever you want. :thumbup:

you guys are too obsessed with this wider is better attitude, Pontiac commercial must have got to you? :p :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes ignore him. most people run a 235/35/19. on rim widths ranging from 8-8.5. I don't think what you have is a staggared set up so 235/35/19 all around would suffice.
Yeah the 235/35/19's were recommended on Tire Rack. Since the My B5.5 is a 4motion I wanted to keep all four wheels and tires the same size so I didn't risk messing anything in the drive train up.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You guys know what I mean by the widest tires on the back, to give the car a wide stance look.

That is what I mean, something how the Porsche's look, wide tires int he back and skinnier in the front.

It looks reallt sweet! :eek:

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
slimebucket said:
You guys know what I mean by the widest tires on the back, to give the car a wide stance look.

That is what I mean, something how the Porsche's look, wide tires int he back and skinnier in the front.

It looks reallt sweet! :eek:

Like this? You need wider rims to do this right. 9.5" wide in back, with 265/30/19's.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
schmove said:
it's not that wider is better but it gives a little more sidewall than 225.
yes thats true. I guess I'm just saying that I've had a bad experience with 235s when I had 19s because of all the rubbing, and you can vouch for that. :wink:

edit: oh and it wasnt just the rubbing against the fender. it was also the wheel well liner, now I have a free custom intercooler vent mod. :oops:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
D ZIGNER - you have one of the sickest variant's I've seen!! I want a similar staggered wheel setup on my variant. I'm currently running 18x8 with 225/40/18 all the way around and the rears definitely don't fill the fender well (width-wise) as much as they should. 265 sounds HUGE!!! It looks perfect on your car though. That's definitely the sweet staggered Porsche look that Slimebucket is talking about!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
b5-turbonium said:
yes thats true. I guess I'm just saying that I've had a bad experience with 235s when I had 19s because of all the rubbing, and you can vouch for that. :wink:
that's because you're straight gangsta and run such a big drop that nobody can touch :wink:

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but mounting tires onto 19's is hard enough with out damaging the wheel's finish.

putting a wider tire on 19's makes wheel lip damage even more likely, no?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
mdtoney said:
D ZIGNER - you have one of the sickest variant's I've seen!! I want a similar staggered wheel setup on my variant. I'm currently running 18x8 with 225/40/18 all the way around and the rears definitely don't fill the fender well (width-wise) as much as they should. 265 sounds HUGE!!! It looks perfect on your car though. That's definitely the sweet staggered Porsche look that Slimebucket is talking about!
Thank you sir, you are smart, and you know exactly what I am talking about!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
b5-turbonium said:
ignore everyone.

225/35 is closer to the stock diameter then 235/35. 235/35 is a half inch too tall. 225/35 will give you a more accurate speedo reading and will most likely rubb less, depending on your drop.

holdasec...

i thought the 225 or 235 was in reference to the WIDTH of the tire, and the 25 or 35 was in reference to the profile?

using that logic, 225/35 and 235/35 should be the same rolling circumference (and diameter), and thus not affecting speedo readout from one size in question to the next. what's changing is the width of the tire, not how tall it is.

and the only difference in rubbing will be on the shoulders or sidewall of the tire between the inner and outer edges of the fender, as opposed to the middle of the tire against the top of the wheel well.

at least.... that's what i thought.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
no, the 35 is the aspect ratio. maning that the sidewall is 35% the size of the tread width. so if you have a 215 tire that has a 35 sidewall is gonna be much thiner then say a 255 tire with a 35 sidewall.

thats why when you go staggard the tire combo usually looks like this:

mine for instance: 215/45/17 for the front and 235/40/17 got rear. this doesnt mean that my rear tire is lower profile. They are pretty much same diameter. If I were to go with 235/45/17 in rear it would be 0.7" taller then the front, and it would look awkward.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
TwoLitreVW said:
b5-turbonium said:
ignore everyone.

225/35 is closer to the stock diameter then 235/35. 235/35 is a half inch too tall. 225/35 will give you a more accurate speedo reading and will most likely rubb less, depending on your drop.

holdasec...

i thought the 225 or 235 was in reference to the WIDTH of the tire, and the 25 or 35 was in reference to the profile?

using that logic, 225/35 and 235/35 should be the same rolling circumference (and diameter), and thus not affecting speedo readout from one size in question to the next. what's changing is the width of the tire, not how tall it is.

and the only difference in rubbing will be on the shoulders or sidewall of the tire between the inner and outer edges of the fender, as opposed to the middle of the tire against the top of the wheel well.

at least.... that's what i thought.
The aspect ratio is just that, the percentage of the side to the width. It's not an absolute dimension.

235/35: 35% of 235mm width = 82.25mm sidewall height
225/35: 35% of 225mm width = 78.75mm sidewall height

275/30: 30% of 265mm width = 82.5mm sidewall height

These are all estimates. Based on the width of the rim it is stretched over, the sidewall can get shorter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.