Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
That's one hell of a commute. My son has put 50K on his Passat in the 2.5 years since we got it. With any luck, he will get a job with less travel in the near future.

Registered
Mine has 324.000 currently and running just fine. Changing oil every 3000k miles 0W-40 Castro Edge. Mostly highway. I do hope to see the digit 4 in the odometer!

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
Changing oil every 3000k miles 0W-40 Castro Edge. Mostly highway.
The engine runs hotter on highway. It would be better to use full synth oil and change at 5K miles interval thank using regular oil. At those higher temps the turbo literally cooks the oil and regular oil is not withstanding well.

Registered
Agreed. My turbo glows red on the highway. Castrol Edge is full synthetic. I have never used anything but full synthetic. It is difficult to find 5W-40 over the counter so I am using 0W-40. I read that in hot climates (Like Charleston, SC) , 0 weight is acceptable.
And I know it is an overkill but yes I change oil every 3000 miles so I can see 400k. :)

Attachments

Registered
WOW!!! just... WOW!!!

My ALH powered daily driver TDI Jetta wagon that I'm the 3rd owner of has 320xxx miles on it now and I though it was doing well...

In the spring of 2016 I became the second owner of a super clean Tiptronic 1.8T Passat GLS wagon from its' fairly clueless (admittedly) female original owner with a very leaky water pump at just 88,983 total miles on this 1-owner wagon in 2016 that still had the original factory timing belt and water pump on it, eek!
Her local german auto shop originally misdiagnosed the coolant loss as a bad hose, replaced a hose, handed it back to her the next day with a hefty bill, and as she got home it left another big coolant puddle on the garage floor so she immediately drove it back to them very unhappily and several days later they blamed the water pump and insisted on doing a timing belt replacement and quoted her several thousand dollars for the job. Upon hearing that news she decided that the 13 year old vehicle that was getting close to 100k miles wasn't worth that big of a financial investment, especially after she had just spent a bunch of money a few weeks earlier having a transmission service done (which I'm thinking might not have been done correctly) and new tires put on it and the AC was also getting less cold too.
Sadly, it's such a bare bones base model that my TDI Jetta wagon actually has more bells and whistles which is extremely disappointing because I love creature comfort options but the idea of starting with well under 100k miles and doing a bit of performance upgrades and having a peppy 1.8T in a big blue station wagon seemed too good to pass up for the price.
It doesn't even have ESP (it did get ASR) or Climatronic or power seats or seat heaters or the leather MFSW, much less auto anything... Even the windows don't auto up/down, what's up with that??? At least it did get the sunroof and fog lights and an automatic transmission so it's not completely terrible.

But then after I bought it and started my leaky water pump fix research I started seeing threads about oil sludge lawsuits and bad transmission mounts and erratic automatic transmissions and so many "do NOT buy these cars!!!" threads that I'm really wondering what I've gotten myself into...

So once I got it home and ordered a timing belt/water pump kit and got on here to start my research I was able to diagonose the AC's odd cold/warm/cold/warm pattern and cycling compressor as a dead condensor fan but the price of a new one was nuts and life got busy and my Mk4 TDI still runs fine so this Passat wagon ended up sitting for about 16 months until last week when a new AC condensor fan arrived and I finally tackled the B5.5 AWM timing belt, water pump, tensioner, that stupid tensioner pulley (yes, it's now set to the 10mm spacing), AC condensor fan, radiator fan blades (plastic blades' ring was cracked), and now I finally get to start finding out what other Passat gremlins I'm in store for with this big blue (gas) turbo wagon compared to my little blue (diesel) turbo wagon that just goes and goes...

So imagine my astonishment and sheer joy as the new 2nd owner of an 89k mile Passat GLS 1.8T wagon to see your odometer photo which gives me some hope that my used B5.5 Passat wagon might not be a total disaster after all!

THANK YOU!!! :)

Registered

What could have possibly gone wrong? Haha!
Welcome to the 400K club!!
Hey y'all,

As I mentioned earlier, I just got my "new to me" 2003 B5.5 1.8T wagon with just 89,000 miles on it put back together to solve the leaky water pump problem that I bought it with and I would reeeeeally like to know what brand, type (full synthetic I presume?), weight oil you two >400k mile 1.8T guys have been using and preferrably what filter as well PLEASE?!?!

Yeah, I know, there are already tons of "what oil is best for my car..." threads and I've seen that there's an offical VW/Audi approved oils list to refer to BUT I would be extremely appreciative to hear from actual high mileage owners with an odometer in miles and a 4 as the first of their 6-digit as opposed to assorted thoughts and opinions and personal choices from 100k-200k mile owners in all those "what oil..." threads considering these two guys' odometers have obviously proven that their choices of oil and filter were good.

Thanks in advance!!!

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
As I mentioned earlier, I just got my "new to me" 2003 B5.5 1.8T wagon with just 89,000 miles on it
If the odometer hasn't been tampered with (something that is increasingly been done with digital ones), having only 89K miles is really great and if you do a good maintenance that car may go a long way for many years to come.

like to know what brand, type (full synthetic I presume?), weight oil you two >400k mile 1.8T guys have been using and preferrably what filter as well PLEASE?!?!
Basically, all known brands like Mobil-1, Valvoline, etc are good. You should use 0W40 if you live and drive in cold climate and 5W40 if in warm places. For the filters the same as oil. Go with good brands like Mann, Bosch. I personally have used Mobil-1 0W40 with Mann filter for the past 12 years and am quite satisfied with them.

Registered
Mine has 324.000 currently and running just fine. Changing oil every 3000k miles 0W-40 Castro Edge. Mostly highway. I do hope to see the digit 4 in the odometer!
love that Castrol 0-40 with the Purolator #40316 "big kahuna" filter, did a forensic on previously installed "new" oil pick up screen and clean as a whistle after 39 k on it.....

Registered
If the odometer hasn't been tampered with (something that is increasingly been done with digital ones), having only 89K miles is really great and if you do a good maintenance that car may go a long way for many years to come.
Exactly... and I'd really like to use good oil and filter to help keep it going for many years.
If I can actually manage to get even 200K-250K miles out of this car, much less 300k or 400K I would be happy but if I can keep it going to 400K without breaking the bank, hell yeah! :) The Passat wagon not only looks a tad nicer, fancier, and more upscale than my TDI Jetta wagon on the outside, it's also bigger, it's the same color, and it's an automatic which is so much more convenient in freeway stop and go traffic. If only it had climatronic and a few other nice bits inside but for what I have spent for this Passat wagon and the replacement parts to get it back on the road I'm satisfied with my purchase so far and I would like to try to make it last...

If the nearly senior citizen lady original owner who bought this 1.8T wagon brand new and basically lived really close to her church and the grocery store and the post office and only went between those places and home a few times a week either rolled the odometer back herself or was both willing and able to seek out and trust a dishonest technician to do it for her I'd be really surprised.
She didn't even know she was overdue for a timing belt service interval with her automatic 1.8T and certainly doesn't own VCDS and although I paid considerably more than I wanted to spend, especially considering it's extremely low trim level and disappointing lack of interior options, she still wasn't even asking trade-in pricing for "her baby".
Plus as I was taking things apart, the way everything felt as I undid nuts and bolts and such felt both consistent and like it had never been touched, all the parts I removed and replaced had VW/Audi logos and such on them, and the leaky water pump's plastic impeller was not cracked or broken like a high mileage water pump's impeller typically does from what I've seen on youtube for these engines.

I'm almost tempted to do intercooler and exhaust upgrades and a mild ECM performance "tune" to this Passat but so far I'm trying to reserve that desire for the 2002 1.8T Jetta sedan's engine replacement project after it got severely oil starved at just 116K miles... 2015 New Orleans pot-hole ( 1 ), previous owner's teenage son and VW Jetta oil pan ( 0 )...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts