Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my car, I didn't really know anything about VW, VW502, Passat's, 1.8Ts, etc, etc... I was a Passat World member without a clue. Since then, I've wised up ;) However, I need some advise about what to do.

I am not the original owner of my car. While I looked at the service records when I first bought the car back in April, I have not really looked at them until the other day. Originally, I'd seen 5k-10k-15k-25k-30k service records for oil changes and thought that I just didn't have the 20k one. I thought that was odd since the car was a CPO but not out of the realm of possibility. The other day, I started looking at the actual MILEAGE these services were performed and started getting a little worried.

Below, my current oil change record:

This history is based on two assumptions. The first one being that VW put the ZVW 352 540 S in the car on the original fill and that ZVW 352 540 S is actually Castrol 5W-40. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) The dashed lines across the history indicate changes of ownership.

The first thing you'll notice is that some idiot at the dealership put 5W30 quaker state dino crap-o-la in at 4,000k miles and then let the original owner run it for nearly 7,400 miles :banghead: The second thing you'll notice is that some idiot (me) put non-VW502 oil in the first change I did. Chalk that one up to inexperience and letting the guy at Advance AP tell me what oil was best for my car :banghead: I do all my oil changes myself, and as you can see by the next fill, I'm running good old VW502 approved oil.

I recently switched (yesterday) to "German Castrol Syntec 0W30" since I found it at my local AutoZone and since Mobil decided to downgrade their oil. Pending some unforeseen change, I'll probably stick with GC 0W30. (I just love the feeling of pouring the stuff that says "Made in Germany" on the back.)

Now, I have had ZERO consumption issues with any of the oils I've used so far. No leaks to be seen, etc. :thumbup: However, what concerns me is not that, it's sludge. The long intervals taken by the previous owner, especially with dino so young in the career of my engine, have got me wondering if I should do a round of AutoRX at my next oil change. I'm not too concerned about my use of Mobil 1 5W30 on my first change, but I take that into consideration as well.

What do you guys think, AutoRX for me?

Note: I have had no serious issues with this car :D

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I recommend Auto rxing anyhow.
Also, I believe that CPO automatically means that the records were acceptable to VW when you bought it. Worth an ask.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, a couple hiccups but not too bad. I'd just run a maintenance dose (3oz. every oil change) 'till the bottle ran out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend Auto rxing anyhow.
Also, I believe that CPO automatically means that the records were acceptable to VW when you bought it. Worth an ask.
Yeah I know, but just because it's acceptable to VW doesn't mean it's acceptable to me ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Since you just put the GC in there, I'd run it till you got to within about 2K of your next planned OC, add the ARX and a new big filter, and clean it for at least 1500 miles. Since you're on synthetic during this clean phase, you may wish to clean a little longer, but I wouldn't go more than 2k on the clean even with synthetic. Check the ARX instructions or their website just to be sure IIRC.

Alternatively, you could just run a full OCI on the GC, then ARX clean with some cheap dino. The purist in me says this is probably best, but Frank says cleaning with synthetic is OK too, just may take a little longer.

In either case, you MUST rinse for 2k with dino, else you probably won't get the results you want. Don't forget to change out the filter for the rinse phase too.

A lot of the guys clean and rinse with whatever cheap dino is on sale (Castrol, Supertech, Havoline, etc.) It really doesn't matter, cause none of it is in your crankcase more than 2k miles anyway.

When you're done, switch back to your 502.00 synthetic of choice. I personally recommend the kahuna filter (Purolator L40316), which is a rebadged Mann filter and can currently be had at Pep Boys for $.99 A/R.

It took me 5 months to clean and rinse with ARX - car is not driven that much. It will give you peace of mind, particularly on a used vehicle.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you're done, switch back to your 502.00 synthetic of choice. I personally recommend the kahuna filter (Purolator L40316), which is a rebadged Mann filter and can currently be had at Pep Boys for $.99 A/R.
Since we don't have a Pep Boys in my area I always just purchase the large OEM filter from the dealer.

Also, this last change, I "disposed" of 1qt of excess M1 5W-30 and 1qt of excess M1 0W-40 by pouring it through the open system and letting it drain out. Seemed like a good way of getting rid of oil I won't use and probably cleaned out a lot of the old oil sitting in the system as it fell through (I saw dark oil coming out mixed with fresh. No chunks though ;) )

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Since we don't have a Pep Boys in my area I always just purchase the large OEM filter from the dealer.

Understood, but the kahuna is bigger than the large OEM filter. Napa/Wix has an equivalent (51333 or 1333 IIRC), so does Mann (obvious) from my post. You may be able to find those at your local autoparts store. If not, you could order online in bulk (to save on shipping) - a lot of guys here do that.

Size matters, and if I can get several extra ounces in that Kahuna I'll take it. I currently get around 4.6 qts with the Kahuna - some folks say they get a little more. With the large OEM, you're down around 4.2 to 4.3 qts. That's a significant improvement in a tiny sump like ours. Whatever you feel comfortable with, but after using the Kahuna for the last 3 or 4 OC's, I'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha, yeah I have yet to "upgrade" to the even bigger filter. Since I put a lot of miles on my car really quick, most of the time it's a matter of "oh shit I need to do an oil change" and then there is no time to wait to order online.

Maybe I'll break down here and well before my next change go order a case and just store them.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
... I'd just run a maintenance dose (3oz. every oil change) 'till the bottle ran out.
This is what I'd do. I don't think you have enough miles on it to justify a full clean & rinse. Starting a regular maint dose now and maintaining it will insure you won't have to.

I thought a maint dose was 2 oz?...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Note that if you do run the full autorx they told me you can run the rinse with syn. Leave the rinse in for 3k.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Note that if you do run the full autorx they told me you can run the rinse with syn. Leave the rinse in for 3k.
Odd. Their website specifically says that the rinse should be done with dino oil, because it will dissolve the sludge better than synth will. Have they changed their requirements?

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is what I'd do. I don't think you have enough miles on it to justify a full clean & rinse. Starting a regular maint dose now and maintaining it will insure you won't have to.

I thought a maint dose was 2 oz?...
http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/applications2.htm said:
Auto-Rx Ongoing Maintenance Plan

For continuous and long-term protection 3 ounces of Auto-Rx® should be added with each oil change. In addition, you should continue to use non-synthetic oil for maximum benefit.
I think it's 2 oz. for normal, or 3 for sludge prone motors. And yes you can run Auto-RX with Synthetic oil no probs. They say use dino but for our cars that's a big nay-nay. (although I did for my clean/rinse due to it being in for such a short period) Also, due to your low mileage and low probabilty of there actually being a problem present, a maintenance dose should fit the bill in your case.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think you have enough miles on it to justify a full clean & rinse.
That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Since it happened so early and it has run nothing but synthetic since then I figured it'd be OK. I'm going to look into doing the doses to maintain it.

I know plenty of people do it, but the idea of putting dino in there, even with AutoRX, even for a short period of time, makes me sick :( I would much rather leave my good synthetic in there with a shot of RX.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Gotcha, yeah I have yet to "upgrade" to the even bigger filter. Since I put a lot of miles on my car really quick, most of the time it's a matter of "oh shit I need to do an oil change" and then there is no time to wait to order online.

Maybe I'll break down here and well before my next change go order a case and just store them.
A lot of the filter sites give you free shipping if you order ten or more.
This way, you're prepared!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1999 passat 1.8t with 116K miles. :nervous: Since then I have reading all this sludge issues and am really loosing sleep on it. I love the car. Its my first stick shift and its pure joy to be in it. I have read the suggestions of changing oil every 3000 miles and running the engine after the trip for a couple minutes for the turbo to cool down. I am in the process of finding all previous maintenance records for the vehicle. But what is this auto rx thing? And could you guys send me the link to buy those larger oil filters? I would love to hear back from the group with any hints and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Odd. Their website specifically says that the rinse should be done with dino oil, because it will dissolve the sludge better than synth will. Have they changed their requirements?
asked question regarding my brother's 1.8T
Hi Nick Dino & Auto-Rx better protection than most oils turbo and engine wise. Understand your concern run your synthetic oil as a rinse for 3000
miles that should be about right .
Frank
Noet that that doesn't technically change thier recommendation, buta llows for a varation.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to take my question straight to the man, and shot Frank (God of ARX) and asked what he thought. Here is what he said:

Hello Mike 55000 miles would surely call for cleaning the engine
... GC OW-30 is fine just extend rinse cycle to 3000
miles. Auto-Rx can do no harm.
Frank
There you go, synthetic AutoRX happiness all around :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts