Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
If you really want to excite your senses, throw in a set of Bilstein PSS9's. You'll swear you're driving a car bolted to rail. Insane handling performance with those gems. But then you'll need some tires that'll be able to stick to the road.

I ran 19" wheels wrapped with General Tire UHP's, (before the version they have now, which kinda suck) P235's up front and P265's in the back (on a V6 FWD 5sp manual) and PSS9's.
I could turn corners at 40 - 50 mph, make sling slot lane changes that would make your head hit the door window.

Reactions: vwipa

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the Bilstein's either after having them on my 98 Ford Explorer. I swore I would never by those "junk" shocks again. They lasted less than a year and cost me a ton.
The PSS9 is a completely different type of shock. They're built like little tanks.
The biggest advantage of the PSS9's is they have no gas charge. They have mechanical valving in place of a gas charge on the one side of the shock piston. So theoretically speaking, as long as the shock seals hold out the shock will never lose its effectiveness to damping the ride.
The PSS9's also have 9 adjustment settings from dead stiff to Cadillac float on a cloud ride. The adjustment dial is easily accessible without remove anything from the car.
The only drawback to these, the price is steep. But if you're serious about how your ride is...

Myself and veteran member keithwbloom had these installed on our cars. I don't know of anyone else off hand here this group that has them.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I'm not a fan of the wagon but I it sure looks good for its age. There's a back story to the wagon thing.
I like all Passat's as long as they are black on black, manual gearbox sedans. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts