Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you haven't seen my previous posts, I have a home theater, complete with 92" diagonal screen and DLP digital projector.

I upgraded my speakers, and although I was going to wait until Friday to post (when I get them and set them up), I just couldn't resist starting the thread early!

They are Martin Logan electrostatic panel speakers. Instead of a tradiational driver and tweeter, there is a special plastic diaphragm between two pieces of metal that is ionized. When the power is applied, the plastic vibrates and thus generates an amazingly open and precise sound. It is fantastic.

I got their low end speakers: Clarity for the mains (with real mahogany base), Cinema for the center, and Script (wall-mounted) for the rears. Here are pics from their website for now.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
how much for the ML's?

I have a set of low-end maggies. same basic idea but only $550 shipped.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Oh my, Martin Logan's. Last time I listened to ML's in a well-equipped hi-fi store, they just brought tears in my eyes. The sound is just unbelievable.

A big :thumbup: and :bow: for your choice!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
btw, how much was that hover option on the speaker in that last pic?

;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will only list retail prices, but note that I have bought enough from Tweeter where I paid less:

Clairty: $2695/pr
Cinema: $1795
Script: $1990/pr

They really are worth most of that price, they sound fantastic. And these are the "low end" ones! In the long term I want to make a 7.1 surround setup, including these 5 plus two new, bigger mains.

Oh, and linux-works: the hover option is too pricey so I will go with the included wall mount. :lol:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
didn't know you could get ML's for that low.

the ones I had in mind were like $50k and more!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I envy you :mad: :lol: those ML is one of my favorites (after B&W, that have now) and those prices that you stated are bargain, comppared to ones in Moscow, typicaly 150-200% more for ML. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Nenad said:
I envy you :mad: :lol: those ML is one of my favorites (after B&W, that have now) and those prices that you stated are bargain, comppared to ones in Moscow, typicaly 150-200% more for ML. :thumbup:
[obvious]
"in soviet russia, speakers listen to YOU!"
[/obvious]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are fairly new speakers in their lines (last few years) and are not as powerful as the bigger ones. If you notice, the base isn't as large, and the panel can only do down to 450Hz instead of 250Hz like on the bigger ones.

But yet, they still sound like the other MLs!

Edit: Their highest end ones, the Statement E2, are $80,000/pr and include 82" tower, and 8x8" subwoofers per channel!!! SICK!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The BIG question is..... how much did you spend on speaker cables?? :lol: and what's driving em? :lol:

Those are very nice.... One of my overpaid engineer friends has a set. Too bad they look like art standing in his cluttered house... :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
upshot said:
The BIG question is..... how much did you spend on speaker cables?? :lol: and what's driving em? :lol:

Those are very nice.... One of my overpaid engineer friends has a set. Too bad they look like art standing in his cluttered house... :weirdo:
I'm doing things piecemeal - right now they are being run by my current setup: 16 gauge Monster wire and a 90W/channel Denon receiver.

The plan is to buy a Sunfire Grand Cinema amp (200W/ch) and the fronts will get 12gauge Monster wire. But that will set me back at least another few thousand.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
hey, I have a hafler DH500 that I'm not using. 250w/ch of actual power. that might do the ML's some real justice (and will cost you 1/10 of what you'd pay for a more boutique amp).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
linux-works, PM sent :)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Postman said:
linux-works said:
[obvious]
"in soviet russia, speakers listen to YOU!"
[/obvious]
Dude LMAO! :lol:

Whatever happened to Yakoff Smirnoff anyway....deported?
some guy in bangalore is doing what a country! jokes now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts