Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just the preliminary and already the pic links didn't work for the donor but you guy's already saw it. I'll fix it tonight.

http://home.comcast.net/~289fia_cobra

Anyhow, I got down to Gilroy and finished up the paper work. I totally forgot about the fact that I still must pay CA sales tax during registration. And of course doc., smog, etc. :( So the new total is now $2556.30 but the good news is, I do NOT have to take it to a Smog Check place and the pink slip will now go directly to me under my name instead of the seller first. Basically, I paid $306.30 for the convenience of the transaction. The price is actually pretty close to what I was expecting.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
my neighbor owns one of those cobras, its a cool car. He wakes up the whole neighboorhood when he starts the engine...

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, if it's anything like my old Neuspeed exhaust, every car alarm is going off in my neigborhood within a 2 block radius!
I'm already doing the cost analysis (I used to call it a budget but I think that term no longer applies). The part I'm having problems with is the cost to rebuild the following:

Short Block: I'm est. $1200 bal./blue, non-stroker, new oil pump, new rings/pistons (pistons with the new silicone stuff infused. Don't recall the term; something like hyper-therhestic???) May be forged as well with strong con-rods.

T5: just a simple rebuild. Any guesses? I'm thinking $800

Live Axle: complete rebuild; axle bearings, new ring/pinion, maybe a limited slip if the GT didn't come with one. Also, swap out the drums for disks. I have no idea what I'm looking at dollar wise.

TIA if anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I want to undertake one of these projects in the future, that is, when I have at least two garage bays and one can be occupied for a few years constantly... :wink: It sounds like fun, and is definitely a lot less expensive than buying a REAL Cobra, plus you can say "I built it". Hell, there's no better way to know the ins and outs of your own car than to have actually handled every piece and built it from the ground up yourself. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Good for you Herman! As far back as I remember you've talked about wanting one of these. Now you're making it happen.

Best of luck with the project...and have fun!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There is a Shell Valley A.C. Cobra kit (frame & body) sitting in our warehouse as I type. One of the guys I work with is putting it together, but the process has been slooooow.

It will be interesting to keep track of the progress of both projects. I think he is leaning toward a 289 H.P., but hasn't had much luck locating one.

Good Luck,

D.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dapperdill said:
There is a Shell Valley A.C. Cobra kit (frame & body) sitting in our warehouse as I type. One of the guys I work with is putting it together, but the process has been slooooow.

It will be interesting to keep track of the progress of both projects. I think he is leaning toward a 289 H.P., but hasn't had much luck locating one.

Good Luck,

D.
You mean 289 CID motor? MIght want to think about some crate motors as an option. Not sure if you've visited www.coasthigh.com (CHP).; but $6,999.99! However, 375hp. Basically, just drop it in. Good luck with that. I'm still burried into the Summit Racing catalog and started my "wish list". It's almost at $3,000.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've always wanted to get one of those... looks like A LOT of fun to drive around.

GOOD LUCK with it!

-alex

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Good luck and make sure to keep us posted in 5 years we will have some newbies goin ohohohoh i want to hear the story of hermans shelby so its good we are here from the begginging :lol:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
HermanH said:
You mean 289 CID motor?
Yeah, I meant 289 Hi-Performance. Though, as you know, things are subject to change. :weirdo:

Have you found a source for period-correct badges and emblems?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Herman, I've been trying to convince my Dad to start one of these (he wants the Daytona Coupe however), but in looking through the Ford Racing catalog - their T5 rebuild kit lists for $225, new TKO T5 is $1495 (340 lb-ft capacity), and they have a T56 (440 lb-ft capacity) for the 5.0/5.8L for $2250. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, but at least a rebuild would be relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Congrats Herman. Great project. It took me 2 years of weekends to body-off restore my '62 Cabriolet, so 5 years sounds about right. :wink:
Love that cutaway view on your website.
Maybe your car will share some kinship with Ford's new GT....
Nice choice, keep us updated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Herman, if your Passat site is any indication of how the Cobra build is going to be documented, I look forward to a lot of visits to another bookmark connecting me to you. Congratulations on the new project!

Personally, I've got a dream to build a car like this from kit parts. I'd like to do it together with my father and (Lord willing) my own son or sons. It will have to be something big enough though... my Dad is 6'2" and I'm 6'4"! Maybe a 'Vette-based Daytona?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the encouragments! I've been going back and forth on all of this; this project has taken so many twists.... and I haven't even started yet.

The first thing I had to get straight was the CA DMV laws regarding kit cars. There are obviously hundreds if not thousands of kits in CA. But in 2001, a new bill was past, typically called SB100. The wording in it has somewhat alleviated my anxiety about smogging the car and such. An AC Cobra would look terrible with catalytic converters but SB100 was written in such terms that the BAR or referee, can look at the engine OR the overall car and determine it to be a specific year . Before this, everything depended upon the "engine only" but a lot of kits were built with the 87-93 donor engines so they DID hang cats on them long enough to pass emissions. PITA if you ask me.

I even decided to possibly go carburator. It's been about 20 years but I realized just how easy it is to tune and do things on a carb'd car. By making it a carb, the referee would definetly consider it a 65' style roadster. But having an EFI engine in there, could "sway" them to title it a 91'. But some here in Nor-Cal have passed their roadsters with the EFI and title the cars as a 65'. So now I'm back to EFI. I feel like some goddamn pedulum on a grandfather clock!

So now that I've gotten some answers from the DMV, I've got to really hunker down on the budget. For awhile, I was all over the Summit Racing online catalog looking for parts left and right! But here's the plan that I will try hard to stay with:

1) Rebuild the donor engine. This is where new parts insdie make sense. I've priced out short blocks, long blocks, crate motors, etc. But I believe the best thing to do is rebuild the motor and put in performance parts that I think will work well. The main thing to keep in mind is IF the block is solid, then the advantage of using an old block is the number of heat-cycles it's gone through. People have told me before that a seasoned block is worth it's weight.
It will definetly be where the most money will be going based on my pic of parts.

2) Rebuild the T-5. Yes, I saw the kit; but I think there might be a variant of the T-5 called "super duty"; I saw this on the Summit Catalog and will inquire with a tranny shop what can be done to beef up the original T5 during it's rebuild. Hoping it'll hold 300ft-lbs.

3) Rebuild the rear-end. Yes, IRS would be nice but the budget isn't there. However, a T-Bird rear end "might" work but would require more money and not guaranteed the disk brakes I would want as well. So for now, live axle with drum brakes. A rear disk conversion will be done as an upgrade in the future. Also, I'll be putting in new rear axle dampers and shocks (there are 4 shocks for the rear).

I'm still up in the air with the cockpit. While there are Smith gauges that make it look "period correct", I'm not sure I like the way they look. Nor do I like the original locations of the gauges. It appears the dash will sport Autometer gauges. I'm still debating on the type of bezels.

The seats are another issue. The original's would never be used in today's car. No headrest for whiplash. I may decide that while it would make the car look a lot different, having headrests in the back is probably more important. Yet being a convertible, I'd hate to see some really good cloth seats exposed during the times I'm not driving. The kit comes with the standard seats so I can bolt those in initially and make up my mind later I guess.

Anyhow, I need to also think of storage!!!! I maybe build a shack out back to store a lot of the parts since dismantling may occur next year. Ideally, a second garage would be nice; getting info from my City developers to see if that's even possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts