Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a heads up...a family just bought the house next to mine, and they have a silver 2003 W8. He is looking to get rid of it. It looks really good, he said he is looking to move it for $19,999. I will get some pics on here ASAP, probably tomorrow. It has 70,000 on the clock. Pretty clean looking. (Not as good as mine, but, you cant win em all, right?) If there is any interest at all, PM me and I will get you in touch with him. Peace.

CCC

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so too...he seems like a motivated buyer...I got my 2002 1.8T with only 31000k on it, for 16,500...I probably got robbed, but after I test drove it, I did not care lol, I fell in love. I did not know what most W8s went for, so I will definitely give him that feedback.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
He sounds like a real salesman, pricing something at precisely 19,999 dollars. hmmm??
Get it checked out, mechanically.
Tell him you'll give him a $14k Cashier's Check and see what he says. Like the others say, move up to $17k then cut it off.
You never know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PassatCCC...get some pix up when you get a chance and see if he'll drop the price...I'm looking for a W8...by chance is it a manual???
Not a manual...pics should be coming very soon (lol, he just moved in, not sure how he will feel about me just taking pics of his car...but if it helps him sell it, he should not have a problem. If he does, I will take em anyway) :whistle:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He sounds like a real salesman, pricing something at precisely 19,999 dollars. hmmm??
Get it checked out, mechanically.
Tell him you'll give him a $14k Cashier's Check and see what he says. Like the others say, move up to $17k then cut it off.
You never know.
I dont want it for myself; I love mine too much to give it up. But it is sharp looking...it has different headlight housing. I pulled up the other day, and it looked sick. I may have tried to trade him housings were I not thisclose to getting Angel Eyes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You don't have to be a salesman to know the basics about buyer psychology. $0.99 is less than $1.00, but not that much less. Even though most people round up in their heads, it still appears to be less psychologically. There has been tons of research to prove that people are more likely to buy at the slightly lower price point that is just below the next "threshold" level.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
He's got to be out of his mind if he thinks he'll get 20k for it. From what I've seen W8s are actually going for less then V6 and 1.8Ts at times, due to their lower gas mileage and higher maintenance costs.

Pictures would still be nice :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I paid 19.5 for an 03 W8 w/ 49k in April. It was a 6 spd. variant, silverstone grey w/ black interior. I had no problem w/ this price, as it was a 1 owner that had all service done by the dealer and he had done everything by the book, including the pricey 40k maintenance. He even gave me the original window sticker. The car is fantastic, and I didn't mind paying a small premium for peace of mind with this car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That price is way too high:crazy: I bought a 2003 W8 variant"sport"with 55k on it for $14900 in June, one owner with 12month 12k warranty.. The only bad on my car were the rims all have curb rash but besides that car is perfect...:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
yeah, but the seller could prove the work was done by the book and it was an extremely rare 6-speed variant. less than 100 imported into the US the two years they were made. i've never heard of a silverstone W8 variant w/black leather...
got any pix mf?
i could see that it was worth the premium

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That price is way too high:crazy: I bought a 2003 W8 variant"sport"with 55k on it for $14900 in June, one owner with 12month 12k warranty.. The only bad on my car were the rims all have curb rash but besides that car is perfect...:thumbup:
That sounds like a deal I would have jumped on as well...and it's no big deal about the curbed wheels, it just sounds like an excuse to buy new ones. :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would personally have been a little worried about a W8 variant "sport" for only 15K. That's certainly priced under anything I've seen if it was in that good of condition, but of course the prices will continue falling as the cars get older. I also got a 10 year/100K transferrable warranty. By the way squishy, I posted some pics on the pics forum back in April. Just look for "my W8" and mf7365.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.