Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have put 2000 miles on my car in slightly over the month I have owned it. I have that many miles on it because it is great to drive and as I am retired it is has been all pleasure. The car has performed without a flaw. Drives beautiful and handles beautiful. I have observed that it has very good performance primarily at highway speed and up, definitely designed for high speed running, I have noticed that it is slow to get off the line unless you keep the revs up when letting out the clutch, it is not overly fast getting to sixty, but nice and quick getting to a hundred. The car is definitely undertired with Continental tires that are on it, and considering it is a 15X7 rim it could easily handle a little more tire. The 4motion is virtually invisable in its operation and that has been running all on pavement. We have had a heat wave for the month I have owned the car and the temperature has been virtually 80 to 100 degrees every day, so I have not sampled it in the rain, but considering where I live certainly will come winter. The air cond. really works well in that temperature. The car collects bugs so I find I have to clean the front end more than anything else I have owned, but also think that maybe partly do to the low .27 drag coeffeicent, dont really mind cleaning it off anyway. I find myself seemingly adjusting my seat back every 2 or 3 days, first thought I was just sitting different each time but am now thinking that perhaps it isn't holding its position. Not a big deal, but will make mention the next time I am in the dealer. The interior has been very easy to keep clean and the leathette seats have been more than comfortable and believe it or not are cooler than my other car with leather seats, so they have been a choice I am most pleased with. The floor mats on the other hand are very flimsy and thin, in 2000 miles I have more heel wear than I did in my last cars floormats at 50000 miles and they were GM mats, will sport for some monster mats or of similiar like. The black paint takes a very nice shine, though it is not as deep as the shine on my 69 AMX it is still very nice and the 2 cars compliment each other sitting side by side with their black paint and believe it or not vitually almost the same shade of grey/black interior color, in fact I could probably put the Passat seats in my AMX and most people would think they belonged there, they are that close, a real nice scoop for me. So far for the 2000 miles I have averaged 34.5 miles to the imperial gallon thats (28.75 US) and roughly 7.6 liters per 100km for our overseas friends( oh and canada), it has not used any oil. Eventually I will put on a better tire, but at this time do not intend to do much else to the car as far a performance enhancements go, I basically would like to keep as much height on the body as it has now for snow use as I intend to be in the mountains with it a lot in winter although I think the lowered look is very nice. I already own a car that can cover the quarter mile in the low 12 second range and hit 130 on the top end so I have an alternate path for my jollies, but if I was to sell the AMX then it might be different, but for now the Passat is just a great fantastic car to cruise around, keep it buffed and enjoy immensely. So far so good.

Al
2004 Passat GLS 1.8T 4motion 5spd
1969 AMX 390

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Another brother from BC!
Welcome to Club B5.

If you haven't driven it in the rain yet... you won't have to wait long. The dry spell is ending and showers are expected tonight and tomorrow.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Welcome to CB5 and best wishes with your Passat, it's a nice combo you have.
Hang around here and you'll be getting bigger wheels and tires soon. :)
Take care of that AMX, too.
p.s., if you hit the Return key it will make a paragraph, eh? :wink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the kind words, and you are correct "Der Meister" about the paragraphs, I just got carried away with the blissful moment :oops:

·
Registered
346 Posts
cool! another bc b5'er. welcome!

The passat is great at tackling lots of conditions, even in fwd form. I've taken mine on forest service roads, ski mountain access roads, etc. I could only imagine 4-mo would even be better. enjoy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome! Nice input on both the Leatherette & 1.8 4motion stick, I've been curious on both. Oh yea, I miss both my '74 Javelin-AMX (owned 25 yrs.-60k orig. no winter miles) & my '69 390 4sp.w/go package & leather.

Enjoy!

Martz
'99 1.8t
'9910AE Miata

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nice write up, glad to hear you are enjoying the car.

I echo your sentinments about the floor mats. As soon as I saw them, my first thought was, "These are the mats that come with a $25k car? What a bunch of junk!". Since we picked our car up on December 28th (2002), one of the first things I did was put in Monster Mats. It does snow a bit here in the winter (yeah right! LOTS!). I found them to be very high quality, and because they are VW, they attach to the floor attachments. Rather than put the crappy carpet mats back in, I have just left them in. I periodically pull them out, hose them down, spray with Simple Green and scrub. They look just like new!

As far as my seat needing to be adjusted, I too have to readjust my seat just about every time I get in it. I can't say there's anything wrong though - it just that my wife likes to drive the car too!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy the new ride, I am envious of the 1.8T 4MO 5 spd!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.