Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mom just leased a brand new BMW X5 3.0...nice car and all but......at about 100 miles CEL went on.

She brought it to a dealer and they told her she needs a new valve cover gasket and Vanos Unit. :hmmm:

I told her new BMWs and MBs were POS....but she wanted that badge.

Thank god she leased it......more to come.

Update, car was fixed....week later CES light is on again.

Back to a dealer

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
752 Posts
passaturbonium said:
My mom just leased a brand new BMW X5 3.0...nice car and all but......at about 100 miles CEL went on.

She brought it to a dealer and they told her she needs a new valve cover gasket and Vanos Unit. :hmmm:

I told her new BMWs and MBs were POS....but she wanted that badge.

Thank god she leased it......more to come.

:lol:
I am looking for a single vanos unit right now. Not really looking forward to finding it either.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your mothers, but our X5 has been SPOTLESS!! and my other friends with newer BMW's have had no issues either.

Not sure where you heard BMW's were crap, but that was indeed incorrect. They my not be the most reliable on the full scale of makers ( ie the japanse) but for a german car maker they are ranked high. Especially when compared to VW, and even Audi.

Also on another note she should have 2 years 0 dollars out of pocket bumper to bumper (except tyres) and she should get a loaner car of equal value while it is in the shop (try getting that at a VAG dealer) so I am not sure why you are soo upset.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
my boss's x5 is a piece of crap too, she has had it for 2 or 3 years....back door lock is messed up, 3 tranny's, 2 trany puters and they still have not fxed the tranny problem, and a few other things.
i drove it a few times. not impressed whatsoever.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The Vanos unit is a common failure, not very expensive or difficult to fix but a pain because there are not many places you can get one from. The dealer does not sell new ones for too long, instead selling rebuilt units. Get too far over 100K and most start getting Vanos noise, the engine light and failure is not very common through. Not on new atleast.

Who buys an automatic BMW?

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called # of dealers about the price of the unit.....4/5 did not even pick up the phone. The one that did said $400 for the unit and about 2-3 hours of labor.

What really blows my mind is the valve cover gasket...I always thought of BMW Inline 6 to be one of the best if not THE best 6 cylinder engines in the world.....right next to Nissans.

Sad

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
752 Posts
The Vanos unit makes up the front of the valve cover sealing surface. That might be why it needs a new valve cover gasket too.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
scottpassat2.8 said:
i drove it a few times. not impressed whatsoever.
Compare it to all the other SUV/ SAV's in its segment, and even below, and anyone with any sense will see it is indeed superior. To get an SUV to drive like a car, and still have all the other bells and whistles of any other SUV is a feat.

Personally I take 25 mph onramps at 70+ and am in control of the X. The average driver in a stock passat can't even do that.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Made in America, what do you expect?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
mopower said:
The Vanos unit makes up the front of the valve cover sealing surface. That might be why it needs a new valve cover gasket too.
Right. If the VANOS is bad, the valve cover has to come off to replace it.

So you want them to use the old valve cover gasket? I'm sure they will oblige if you ask.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
Salty D said:
Compare it to all the other SUV/ SAV's in its segment, and even below, and anyone with any sense will see it is indeed superior. To get an SUV to drive like a car, and still have all the other bells and whistles of any other SUV is a feat.

Personally I take 25 mph onramps at 70+ and am in control of the X. The average driver in a stock passat can't even do that.
id take a newer loaded pathfinder over it anyday of the week hands down.
yes i drove bolth and yes this is just me NOT YOU.
so if you like the truck then it is good for you, just not for me.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
scottpassat2.8 said:
id take a newer loaded pathfinder over it anyday of the week hands down.
yes i drove bolth and yes this is just me NOT YOU.
so if you like the truck then it is good for you, just not for me.
I guess to each is own. And understand each person can have a different opinon. I feel after driving all the SUV/SAVs that the build quality on the X5 and how it handled were my choice. It is funny you mention the Pathfinder. My good buddy has a 45 (one of the ones I meatntioned has had NO issues) and his wife got a loaded pathfinder. After being in mine she is counting the days until her lease is up so she can switch over to an X5. ;)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I haven't heard much about the X5, but I heard quite a few problems with the X3.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts