Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I fell into the trap... 120G external WD HD... 210 retail -50 circut city -50 WD = 110 good deal...

I know they will try to get you on any small technicality so I TRIPLE CHECKED all the requirements... Making sure that the original UPC was in the WD and all the info was there... I get the Circut City rebate back fine... Then I get a little post card (could have easily fallen into a junk catalog and into the trash) from WD saying that I had not sent the ORIGINAL UPC, BUT A COPY.... I'm like wha? Even IF I switched the original and the copy (after checking it and checking it and checking it) it's now AT CIRCUT CITY REBATE BLACK HOLE!

So I'm :poke: :cry: ... I know NEVER AGAIN!

Your welcome western digital for all my mailing info for free! Now you can sell me like a PIMP :mad:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I know what you mean. I have about 10 mail in rebates floating around hoping that I didn't screw up or they don't decide to reject it for a false reason. :nervous:

By the way, I got a Maxtor 160GB for $89.99 - $30.00 = $59.99 from Fry's. :D

Lets hope it goes through.

That reminds me, I have 3 more to send to D-Link when I get home. This makes 13 Rebates. :shock:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have a worse story. My rebate is only for $20 but here goes:
I bought a router, made by a company called "HAWKING TECHNOLOGIES". It had a rebate that I definately fulfilled correctly. It was due in January 2003. I continued to email them and got the runaround (check this 3rd party, who told me to talk to hawking). Once they promised to send me a check and never did.

Fast forward to January 2004. I had not forgotten. I started emailing again and put "read receipts" on the emails. My emails were getting deleted unread! Those assholes! I have since then filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must be an internal .... I do alot of big file tote'n from home/work

Shhhh don't tell anyone but I use my work rig (dual xeon) to encode mpeg2 :wink: and get some awsome quality out of procoder over night...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
upshot said:
Ok so I fell into the trap... 120G external WD HD... 210 retail -50 circut city -50 WD = 110 good deal...

I know they will try to get you on any small technicality so I TRIPLE CHECKED all the requirements... Making sure that the original UPC was in the WD and all the info was there... I get the Circut City rebate back fine... Then I get a little post card (could have easily fallen into a junk catalog and into the trash) from WD saying that I had not sent the ORIGINAL UPC, BUT A COPY.... I'm like wha? Even IF I switched the original and the copy (after checking it and checking it and checking it) it's now AT CIRCUT CITY REBATE BLACK HOLE!

So I'm :poke: :cry: ... I know NEVER AGAIN!

Your welcome western digital for all my mailing info for free! Now you can sell me like a PIMP :mad:
I wish CC, CompUSA and others would follow Best Buy's lead in the rebate/receipt trap that we all fall into. I mean, for all of Best Buy's faults, (and there are plenty) I do like the fact that they would have printed three original receipts for you in this scenario - one for WDD, one for the BB rebate and one for yourself.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
gig103 said:
I bought a router, made by a company called "HAWKING TECHNOLOGIES". It had a rebate that I definately fulfilled correctly. It was due in January 2003. I continued to email them and got the runaround (check this 3rd party, who told me to talk to hawking). Once they promised to send me a check and never did.

Fast forward to January 2004. I had not forgotten. I started emailing again and put "read receipts" on the emails. My emails were getting deleted unread! Those assholes! I have since then filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
read receipts?

there is no such thing, in a standards way. (I used to write and teach courses on email)

some user agents and mail transports have 2 kinds of receipts. DELIVERY receipt and READ receipt. those are not standard across platforms and you can't count on them working for every person you mail.

example: mail my unix system and you'll get NO receipt back at all. other than maybe an SMTP id back saying the MAIL TRANSPORT has received it at some mail hub. but you don't know if the next hop (on a multihop mail system) got the mail. there's no way to tell. similarly, there's no way to tell if the USER got it, either.

other email systems (I spent a lot of time on DECs mail systems, vaxmail, allin1, message router and decmail) DO have these fancy features. outlook and exchange have it. but not every system uses closed-style protocols. the ones that use regular old SMTP mail won't ever support 'receipts' in the way you are thinking.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sullie - Just ask them to print multiple recipts... They all do it (that is if the HS student remembers their training... :wink: )

It's all MOOT... never again.... :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've never had any problems with mail-in rebates (and I've sent in quite a few). Usually easy to tell which the original UPC is in, because I've yet to be able to get to it without cutting a hole in the box, and I mail that, too! :lol:

Best Buy does print multiple receipts, plus a rebate form (which you can also print out online), but of course that won't save you from accidentally mailing in the original UPC to the wrong place (or have the company tell you it got a copy to weasel out of paying up).

Never dealt with WD, but Maxtor sends out checks for sure. :) My favorite rebates are the instant rebates from Symantec. Enter in the serial from ANY Symantec product, and you get "upgrade" pricing immediately. Saved myself $30 by "upgrading" from a Mac copy of Norton SystemWorks to NAV 2004 Pro for Windows. :lol:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I just got a Maxtor 120GB from office max about a month ago....with 2 rebates

OfficeMax rebate clearly stated that you only need a copy of the barcode.....while Maxtor needs the original.....

Got the rebate from Maxtor....nothing from Office max yet....but its coming!!!

Free daffle bag was great!!!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Um yah... It clearly states that you have to send in the original upc... WHICH I DID and made sure of it! Now they claim I sent a copy...

Some times you gotta wonder if anyone actually reads... :roll:

I'm glad it worked for you...

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
gig103 said:

It can get worse. You could have gotten a rebate and had the company file bankruptcy before the check clears. Hello bounced check!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I bet you this is something you guys didn't know>>>>>

Most rebates go to Arizona, not all, just a lot.
Majority rebates will go to an individual's PO box. This average joe goes to his po box daily and opens each rebate he gets while watching Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy. He accepts or rejects it, and gets a commission of like $0.10 for each one he does.

The reality is that the guy looking at your rebate was probably a tired guy who's eyes were getting dry. He looked at your rebate and either
a) thought it was a UPC copy or
b) put it in the wrong pile

I hope you made a copy of your rebate. The due action right now is to resend the postcard you got with the copy of the rebate and form you made (along with the copy of the upc), and send it back to the guy with a note saying there must be a mistake.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
upshot said:
Sullie - Just ask them to print multiple recipts... They all do it (that is if the HS student remembers their training... :wink: )

It's all MOOT... never again.... :suspicio:
I hear ya.

But the thing is, I NEVER remember to ask for multiple receipts since I'm usually too busy thinking about the product, etc. It's just nice and convenient that BB automatically does it for you without having to ask. I'm a very forgetful person.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have reached the point where I won't buy a product based on the "rebate price." I shop for items based on the dollars that go out of my pocket at the register. If there is a rebate, I consider it gravy, but not money in the bank. It takes more energy to fill out and keep track of the rebates than I think they are worth. Especially when there is a pretty decent chance you won't ever see the rebate anyhow. In fact, I find it pretty irritating that Best Buy, Circuit City, et. al., display that rebate price in large print in their ads and at their stores. I would prefer they display the out-of-store price in large print and, if they also want to display the rebate price, do so, but in smaller print and of course labeled "after rebate:".

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Western Digital rebate just got rejected. It says I didn't specify the HD size on the the rebate form. :mad: really pissed.

I never ever buy WD products again. Same reason I never visit CompUSA stores.

The only companies that I trust with rebates are Microsoft and Staples.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You're probably not wanting to hear this, but:

I sent in a $30 rebate to IOMagic back around January 2003 for a CD burner. Then, in December, while I was doing my rebates for Circuit City's day after Thanksgiving sale, I found my copy of the IOMagic rebate and realized I never got a check. I e-mailed IOMagic and they told me they never received my (nearly year-old) rebate submission, but if I sent them a copy of everything they would see what they could do. I did so and ~3 weeks later...BOOM!...$30 check in my mailbox! :eek:

Moral of the story...quadruple-check everything before you send it (especially on multi-vendor rebates) and make copies of everything before you send it (I even copy the stamped envelope so I - and they - know I sent it to the correct address).

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The fact that you have to mail it in in many instances is stupid...

I just got done filling out my Tax Cut State rebate and mailing it in.

How hard would it have been to give me an online page to go to, since the only thing they needed was the orderconfirmation from MY ONLINE PURCHASE of TaxCut State :roll: :roll: :roll:

They just make you jump thru the loops to get the number of rebates down... bastards.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Eiki said:
My Western Digital rebate just got rejected. It says I didn't specify the HD size on the the rebate form. :mad: really pissed.

Well if you knew about the company itself...and their practices....and of course their shitty HDs.....you would've never bought WD in the first place....:)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
pass-variant said:
The fact that you have to mail it in in many instances is stupid...
How hard would it have been to give me an online page to go to, since the only thing they needed was the orderconfirmation from MY ONLINE PURCHASE of TaxCut State :roll: :roll: :roll:

They just make you jump thru the loops to get the number of rebates down... bastards.
You hit the nail on the head! Some places (Ckt City, Best Buy, and Staples...if I recall correctly) have online rebate submission...and some even post updated info on when it's received, processed and mailed! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Eiki said:

You should be able to resubmit with that index card they sent you informing you of mistakes.

Oh, and the only companies i trust for rebates are Microsoft and Best Buy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
20 Participants
ckoobs00GLX
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing