Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the car in 2006. 99 Passat 1.8t AEB. I knew nothing about the VW or Euros for that matter. I originally bought it to be my family car. This changed quickly. i put a custom exhaust and a system in the car until 2008. I deployed overseas to Japan for 3 years. The car sat in my moms driveway the whole time never being touched. I came back in 2010 and did a bunch of work to get it to run. It ran reeeally rough. went back to Japan and the car continued to sit for another until now. I went to AWE Tuning and bought a Vag-Com. Good thing is, they are located about 15 mins from my house in PA.(AWESOME)
Got the car running as some of you may have seen in my previous thread...

Now that im waiting for all of my paperwork to get processed in PA (my car was registered in NC) i decided it was time to do some body work. i originally shaved the vw logo but now i decided to shave the whole trunk. the top of the trunk had all of the clear coat peeling...

the back of the trunk just looked like trash..

Being that i my little brother and a few of my friends do body work professionally, we started getting crazy

And due to on oncoming storm i think... i threw a light coat of primer so nothing will rust. I will fiberglassing the area that had the "hump" over the license plate. I ordered new LED lights to be wired in and took the whole key lock part of the trunk out. (the trunk can still be opened from in the car.)

Since i was waiting for the weather... i decided to take the back light out of the rear window and sand, prime and paint to match the rest of the car...

i will keep updating and resurrecting this thread as i continue on.... i intend on doing a lot of engine work as well as body work in the coming months.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
everyone hates on those kind of tail lights on passats.
IMO they look better tinted.

what are you using to paint the car and the parts?

·
Registered
910 Posts
The rear light clusters - we call then 'Lexarse' lights in the UK for obvious reasons. Change 'em as they do look a bit Barry (chavvy or trashy).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figured youd like tails. lol. i ordered the paint online. ill take a pic and post it later.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*** update***

I got my ECS Ultimate Timing Belt kit yesterday and today i am complete. My car is running smoother and a whole lot quieter...

After i got the bumper off..

A pic at about the 1/2 way process...

A pic of the new trunk lights wired up (i took the handle and the old lights off so i needed to order new lights)

After i stuck the light in the trunk lid so i could test drive the car at night with a trunk light.

tomorrow im going to start the actual fiberglassing on the trunk creating a nice new smooth trunk lid with a handle. pics will follow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration. I will be undertaking some body work (small dents here and there) when the weather gets cooler. It's something I haven't done much of and haven't done in 20 years, so it should be fun!

AJ

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well here we are so far.. it has been raining off and on and on top of spending time with my kids im only getting little bits done at a time.... i actually sanded this and put a good coat of bondo on it and it actually doesnt look bad... here you go...

You can see a look on the left side of where the license plate goes.. its a little higher... so i have to adjust and make it smooth.. (btw this is the first time i really got into bondo and fiberglass.

and a side pic so you can try to see what i want it to look like.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Got any pics of progress? I just debadged and filled in the hole on my b5.5 after bondo you need to use spot putty to fill in the small little spots and gaps. I did and it looks perfect. Good luck with the build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts