Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted anything new, but I guess things were getting hectic on my end.
Just when I thought I was pretty much done with my car, I came across these....

I installed them today, and because of the snow that we are getting in lovely Jersey today, I can't give you guys my opinion yet.
Install is not for the novice. There are many special tools needed for the job, and it took me about 3.5 hours to complete.
Unfortunately, I took pics with my camera phone, and I can't upload them to imagestation. I will be sure to keep you guys posted on how the car really feels, and when I finally hit the dyno.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
nice. :thumbup:

-Gene

·
0 Posts
I looked into that and i was told that there is not much gain to be had in the 1.8t cam change, but i hope you prove them wrong cause that would make a sweet upgrade. Good luck its looks like it will be june before the snow stops. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have only seen the cams advertised in magazines, they advertise for around $800 for the 1.8t. I figure with 20 valves, how radical can they be, everything has to be so precise.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
20vvillian said:
I looked into that and i was told that there is not much gain to be had in the 1.8t cam change, but i hope you prove them wrong cause that would make a sweet upgrade. Good luck its looks like it will be june before the snow stops. :thumbup:
^very true....but I hope Bel can prove us all wrong...Im pretty sure BillyT has tried this and acctually lost power.

Before and after dyno would really help....

Bel have you dynoed your car yet? When are you going to the drag strip???

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
854 Posts
definitly keep me posted, i was going to order a set for myself... but heard it will only cause a rough idle.

I wanted to talk to you about your turbo setup... i have a few questions, maybe you can help me...

Can you PM me with you get a chance.

Thanks,

John

Jersey in the HOUSE!!! :bow:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
AFAIK, cams wont give you any gains on a 1.8t because by the time they come into affect, at hight rpms, the stock turbo is out of breath, BUT if I remember correctly b5bel has some sort of stage 3 kit which uses a much bigger turbo then any kkk variation so these cams should make some gains. But I think there might be a need for new programing tho.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
b5-turbonium said:
AFAIK, cams wont give you any gains on a 1.8t because by the time they come into affect, at hight rpms, the stock turbo is out of breath, BUT if I remember correctly b5bel has some sort of stage 3 kit which uses a much bigger turbo then any kkk variation so these cams should make some gains. But I think there might be a need for new programing tho.
Pes stage 3

Pete

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the specs are-
252 deg. intake, 260 deg. exhaust

When I installed the PES kit with the 440cc injectors, my car ran very rich. So far, according to my A/F gauge the car has leaned out a bit, so programming seems good. I will have to lower the boost and tune the boost on the dyno.

As for quality, they are top notch. These are not re-grinds, they are totally new. The lobes are much more aggressive. Earlier Passats and A4's (AEB/ATW), will have less difficulty installing them, but newer B5's (AUG/AWM), modification to the camshaft adjuster is necessary. Also, with the newer engines, you cannot rely on your stamped timing mark on the camshaft pulley (timing belt side).

I did try to take it out for a beating right when I finished the install, and noticed the turbo lag was there as always, but when boost hit, it screamed. I really had no traction due to the slushy roads, and spun through 3rd gear.

When the engine is cold, the idle does break a bit, and disappears once the engine is warm. Other than that, I'll be anxiously waiting for the roads to dry up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bel,
I guess you figured out how to time those bad boys after-all. Good to hear that it seems to be running good. Too bad you didn't get a before dyno so you could see what the result was. We should get a dyno GTG going in the next couple of weeks. I would be game.
Regards, Ray

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
BTW Bel, puhleeeze tell me you are running quaters at Show N Go or Waterfest this year. I really want to see that! 8)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Bel's posted another mod! SPRING IS HERE!

I don't care about the snow, or the calander, or that groundhog either!

Bel, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the results of your 'testing'!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh yes, I will be running at show n go. anyone got room for 2 wheels??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts