Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated above, they quit working today, and I was hoping someone here could help me out. My car has the rain sensing wipers ( sensor is located in the mount of the rearview mirror) and I was wondering if maybe its just the sensor went bad? the wipers cycle once when I move the stalk to the "intermittent" position, but then thats it, they don't cycle everyonce in awhile, even in heavy rain. They'll also cycle once if I move the switch on top of the steering column stalk ( the one that changes how often the wipers move), so thats why I'm thinking maybe its the sensor, since all the switches still work. anyone have any ideas? how hard is the sensor to change if that is it?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
More then likely it is the sensor/relay! Sadly it is a spendy part to replace. This is the one thing that I hate about the sensors is if the sensor goes bad then you have either the regular wipe mode or the fast mode! Wonderful when they work.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah tell me about it. if its the sensor, I plan on doing it myself to save money, thats why I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it. I had a hard time following my Bentley manual, but I think theres adhesive removal involved, but I'm not sure cause it jumped around between different procedures. How expensive is the sensor itself? I'm just glad that its not ( hopefully ) the switch in the steering column, I'm sure that wouldn't be much fun either.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn this car! it seems like if it isn't a bulb blown out every month, its something else going wrong with the thing! sorry, just needed to vent a bit. I love my car, but sometimes I wonder why. Then I take it for a drive down a back road and I remember :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone sell an aftermarket rain sensor, or am I stuck buying from the dealer? how hard are they to intall and am I gonna have to screw around glueing the damn thing on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.