Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history - '98 1.8T AEB w/ 103,xxx miles APR 91 and 100 octane programs.

I recently picked up a N75H valve from a member that was parting things out as he was just in a wreck. This part was never installed, and he wanted to sell it. I bought it, and got it from UPS today. Installed, and to be honest, the installation was a bizatch. Those little 3 one time hose clamps were horrible to get to.

So, once all installed I went for a test drive. Initial impressions was that there wasnt a huge difference. But, once I got on the gas, there was a small difference. Before, the C valve that was stock on my AEB, it made the car surge once the chip started to kick in at about 3k rpms. Now, there is no super surger at all. Its just a straight, smooth boost curve. I am going to see about unplugging the battery and let sit for a few minutes tomorrow after work. Reset the TB, and let the car adapt to the new valve. Im sure I can get a little more psi out of it, but only time will tell.

Until tomorrow, thats it for now.

Steve

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
So whats the recomended part letter for a 2002 Passat 1.8T? Im chipped and boosting 15psi and spiking at 19. I have a stock N75 valve, also is it a good idea to upgrade the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
446 Posts
i run the J and regularly spike 21-22 and hold one -2 psi more at redline, but thank god i havent hit limp(hard) yet, i dont have a vag...ah well more power = :D

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a bump... I was asked for an update on this.

No issues to report at all. Im still boosting 20-21 psi in a 4th and 5th gear pull. If, and when I get my Samco Sport hoses, that may clear up some of the little leaks under high boost. Might I add, that my intercooler hoses are 6+ years old and need replacing soon.

Steve

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sweet steve. Just be carful. Are you holding 20+ psi,or just spiking?? Either way thats not good for the stock turbo. for your K03, 16 is about max, and still be safe. Your pushing your stock turbo preety hard bro! :eek:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
5150 Pa55at said:
Sweet steve. Just be carful. Are you holding 20+ psi,or just spiking?? Either way thats not good for the stock turbo. for your K03, 16 is about max, and still be safe. Your pushing your stock turbo preety hard bro! :eek:
Vortex people are pushing alot more then 16psi.....they handle alot more...its just how long.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
passaturbonium said:
5150 Pa55at said:
Vortex people are pushing alot more then 16psi.....they handle alot more...its just how long.
Exactly. Steve, you still running your original turbo? Or did they replace it along with your motor? Just remeber that if thats your original, then that turbo is about on its last leg preety soon.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I understand that u guys rise the boost or hold it longer with different valves:H,J,and if u don't go into safe mode due to the raised boost,u are happy u get more power.I just wonder if anybody checks the A/F ratio while having the increased boost!Should'nt these two parametres go hand in hand for a safe behaviour of the motor?Can anybody elaborate?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not running any type of other boost controller at all. I am running things safely with an APR chip and as we all know, at WOT, which is the only time I get 20psi, is that the programming already runs rich at that RPM being at WOT. I have a air/fuel gauge in the car. Im not saying that my life depends on it, but if I see that its getting lean at WOT like that then I will back off.

Please tell me Im not the only one that gets 20psi (even without the H valve) in the car. Its the stock turbo, very well maintained car. Regular oil changes, synthetic oil, etc. This car is babied and I dont give it WOT all that often to even get 20psi.

My car doesnt have safe mode or anything as its an AEB motor. Granted, I could depending on Air/fuel maps but it hasnt happened.

·
Registered
879 Posts
IMHO,each software is made for a certain setup,engine load maps are established,requested boost is set and fuel is trimmed to match the quantity of air blown.Some correction values are also set to allow adaptation of the sofware (switching maps),and everything goes OK.Then we come and use different things that alter the innitial setup (icrease the boost manually for example),and things are still OK becouse the correcrion factors addapt the software.But if we overdo ,we may dammage our cars!ECU will prevent that by throwing us inti safe mode.But if we trick the ECU.....................???????????
IMHO,new software is needed (custom) in order to have peace of mind!

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me be blunt... Ive read up on other boards and gotten other people's views on this. The whole issue is software... ok. There is enough play in the software that will allow a 2-3 spike in boost. BEFORE I even installed the N75 H in my car, I was already boosting at 20-21. Installing the H valve did NOTHING but smooth the boost curve out. Thats what Ive been saying all along. On cooler mornings and nights, I can boost 22 on a spike, and a SPIKE... its not holding 22 long enough to fry anything.

Here is some more material for you to read. You can read that my measly 20-21 is nothing compared to people spiking at 23 psi with a J valve. Read their stuff and tell them they need custom stuff.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79007

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts