Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my switch is not the US specs one.
Is it possible to install the rear fog light on my car without buying an Euro switch?

I also have the rear fog indicator in the dash.
Does someone have a writing in how to do the rear fog?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
id say that it has something to do with you having the green dash lights. Its a very rare, coveted combination in the Passats. Only the very early B5's had them in '97, from like July to about October. Mine has a date of 10/97 and I have the blue lights, etc but I have the one turn, one pull switch.

Im thinking it has to do with you being a very early production model passat. Check your door sill and see what the production date is.

HTH,
Steve

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
The rear fog can be done... just needs a new bulb in the back and wires ran iirc. there is a how to around here somewhere. Check out what " StarGazer" has to say aboutt hat... he had a site dedicated to his mods, and there was a writeup of how to do it somwhere lurking on the site.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She might be talking about the pic on your second post. This:
I know that is a US switch on the second post i posted that cause neeeeone asked me to .

My your switch and dash is dirty.
it is dirty I know , i took the dash apart yesterday droped it on the floor and the weather is not helping up here ,

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
id say that it has something to do with you having the green dash lights. Its a very rare, coveted combination in the Passats. Only the very early B5's had them in '97, from like July to about October. Mine has a date of 10/97 and I have the blue lights, etc but I have the one turn, one pull switch.
any pics of the green lights?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Speaking of switches, I am getting ready to replace my American switch with a Euroswitch. How do you get these things out? Do they pull straight out, or to you have to twist them?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The rear for for the B5 is quite easy. Just purchase a P21W clear bulb and pop it into the extra socket on the bottom. Buy VW repair wire 000-979-133 and cut in half - insert one half into the large harness that plugs into the bulb holder (only one empty pin available and that's it) and the other half into the switch (corresponds with the pin that says NSL). Connect with 18 or 16 gage wire running below the sills and thru the backseat.

Barnacle-Billy said:
Speaking of switches, I am getting ready to replace my American switch with a Euroswitch. How do you get these things out? Do they pull straight out, or to you have to twist them?
Push in and turn 1/4" clockwise - pull.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve i think you are right.

Im think my car is a mixing of Passats all around the world to test how the B5 would be accepted here.

Eveything i get instructions to do something , is like my car has a extra screw or a different connector or another tab to pry or the instructions dont work at all.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts