Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is trying to talk me into getting motorcycles. I've always wanted a bike too, but I have multiple reservations. The first problem is I'm a mountain biker with multiple scars to show for it. Just had my clavicle reattached in January. Multiple stiches and staples over the years. Basically I take risks and sometimes crash hard. I'd have to take it really easy if I had a motorcycle, but I don't think it's in my blood. I like to go fast! :lol: Second problem and probably the most important one is: I love my girlfriend, she is my life. If anything ever happened to her because I didn't protest enough against her getting a motorcycle I'd never forgive myself. After all it is a lot easier to walk away from a car crash than a motorcycle wreck. I don't think she understands the risk associated with riding a motorcycle. What do I do :???: ? I want her to enjoy herself, I want us to do cool and exciting things together. But I would also like to avoid either one of us getting hurt.

Does anyone here have bikes and ride with their significant others?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
i've always avoided cycles. sometimes you know what will kill you, and knowing is half the battle.

So jimbob gives you a thumbs-up for trying to be a rational adult, too few even try anymore. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I have stayed away from motorcycles. I too am a Mt. Biker and those falls/crashes/biffs etc are enough to steer me away from any type of fall I would have on a bike that is going 40-50-60 mph.

No thanks.

:thumbup: to you for being rational.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I used to ride dirt bikes... and I've had the occasional desire to get a vintage road bike...

But, I think back and realize I'm lucky to be alive.... I don't want to play with the drivers that are out there nowadays... They are far more dangerious than the trees/trails I played with in my youth!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I went down on a CBR600 RR at only about 50KMH (~30 mph) and the road rash burned through my riding jacket and left my chest, arms and chin looking much like freshly cut meat.

In you were wondering, I was wearing a helmet but the slide on the asphalt burnt through the lower front of the helmet and my chin was dragging for a good 5 feet.

This was over 7 years ago and I don't think I'll ride again any time soon.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Heh, it's been kinda funny for me. When I was kid, I had saved up and was real close to having sufficient money to buy a motorcycle. That's when I first eyewitnessed a guy lose it on a bike. Although he was able to walk after the crash, he had waaayyy too much road rash for my taste :shock: . I took the whole thing as somebody's trying to tell me something - so I didn't buy a bike. A few years later, I got over the episode and was again close to buying. Damn if I don't see another guy have his bike go out from under him. Well, I may not be the brightest guy, but I can take a damn hint :) . No bike for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I support a decision to stick with bikes you can pedal. With mountain biking, it's easy to get hurt but much more difficult to get killed. Some of my friends have tried really hard (e.g. hucking 15-20 footers) but all they manage to do is break their bikes and a few assorted bones.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My cousin's husband lost control of both of his arms and has extensive scarring on his face from whiping out on his bike. Plus I've heard numerous stories about brain damage and other injuries. There is too much to risk. I don't care if I sound like a wuss but I would lose it if something ever happened to her or me that would jeopardise our future together.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
kezho said:
My girlfriend is trying to talk me into getting motorcycles. I've always wanted a bike too, but I have multiple reservations. The first problem is I'm a mountain biker with multiple scars to show for it. Just had my clavicle reattached in January. Multiple stiches and staples over the years. Basically I take risks and sometimes crash hard. I'd have to take it really easy if I had a motorcycle, but I don't think it's in my blood. I like to go fast! :lol: Second problem and probably the most important one is: I love my girlfriend, she is my life. If anything ever happened to her because I didn't protest enough against her getting a motorcycle I'd never forgive myself. After all it is a lot easier to walk away from a car crash than a motorcycle wreck. I don't think she understands the risk associated with riding a motorcycle. What do I do :???: ? I want her to enjoy herself, I want us to do cool and exciting things together. But I would also like to avoid either one of us getting hurt.

Does anyone here have bikes and ride with their significant others?
Where did you find this girl? :heart: :bow:

I've been riding for 5 years, but my wife won't even sit on it in the garage.

Take a MSF class together and see if you like it, they provide the bikes and quality instruction off-street.

If you guys are into Mt. biking look into getting dual-sports and focus on back-roads off/road riding.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
A close friend got hit as he was making a right turn (on green, the other guy was drunk). Was wearing a helmet, but his right fibula was extended through his kneecap, and his left leg was "like a beanbag" and the left foot/ankle was rotated 720 degrees (two full rotations). Years of physical training, still permanently disabled from it.

I never have or will get on a bike after that.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can point to many examples of people getting hurt or killed on motorcycles, but then again, you can also bring up the many examples of fatal car accidents that happen every year as well. Anytime you are on the road, on any vehicle, you are putting your well being at risk.

I enjoy riding motorcycles and have done so since the age of 7. I understand the risks involved, as should most people who choose operate any motor vehicle. Each vehicle has it's own inherent risks, whether it have two, four, or 18 wheels... :wink: You have the choice whether to ride or not, just don't unfairly judge others who choose differently than you :wink:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I owned a 67 Harley throughout college. Well, not throughout, up until mid Junior year. A guy made a lft turn from the right lane. I was in the left lane doing ~30MPH with no helmit. Care to guess what happened? :suspicio: I'll give you a clue...many stitches. Anyway, she was a total loss. I ekpt the engine for about 2 years and would start it on the stand weekly and just sob. I haven't ridden a bike since....

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Don't let the wussy claims get to you. I rode bicycles for years, took flying lessons (e.g., getting hit by cars), et al. I've been on a motorcycle maybe 4-5 times, each time I realize I'd probably be dead in a year if I rode it regularly. Scotty has a good idea, take a safety class together with supplied bikes. If it works out, great. But if you know it's too much - bail out and stay alive!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kezho I feel your dilemma. It was a long time before I would ride two-up because I was uneasy about being responsible for another person's life. Here's my advice- you're both adventurous so I say go for it. You would love riding together. Taking the MSF course together is excellent advice. There is gear out there that has stood up to amazing things, make sure to get the best-- you cannot be cheap about it. You will probably learn how to fall in the MSF course. If not, you have to learn how to do so correctly (yes, it's possible...though not always). But a big thing is to plan a smart riding route. One with light traffic, few intersections, and little turning traffic is the best. And I know it's not always possible. I have to go through some city traffic to get to these types of roads, just have to be cautious. Going by all of these things has been a big help for me. Don't throw out the idea until you try it. Like Scotty said, try out the MSF course.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts