Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man.

My Good friends girl just bought a (relitively stock) '00 Trans-Am M6. She wanted to see what it could do compared to her boyfriends '02 Z28 LS1 A4.

I was invited to come along to be her "pinch driver" becuase shes not the best manual transmission driver.

We rolled out to AN ABANDONED AIR STRIP *read* NOT STREET, and I decided to go up against my boy's Z28 in the passat. Although his car is an automatic, hes got a FPK (intake); and Exhaust Cutout. Not to mention a LS6 top end.

We checked out our lanes for debris and whatnot, and staged back to the starting point. Although we had at least a quarter mile ahead of us, we both agreed to shut it down @ 100 mph.

On the arm drop I HAD HIM SMELLIN' BRULLEN FOR 1.2 seconds wheel hopping like a SONOFABITCH! Then of course after he hooked up he started walking, then running past me. He was a bus and a half a head when I shifted into 3rd @ 80mph and was still pulling HARD. Needless to say I didn't quite make it to 100 because I was too busy laughing the words: daaaaaaaayum, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, DAAAAAAYYYUM!

Now I've driven his car before, and although knew it was faster than mine, it sure doens't seem like that when I was driving it.... I think my butt dyno needs recalibrated. (about 150 whp off)

BUT I WAS TO HAVE MY REVENGE!

I lined up with him in 'ole girls '00 LS1 T/A. Keep in mind I have a manual AND shorter gears (stock gears on these two cars are slightly different) I also have no muffler somehow. The exhaust manifold splits off into the CATS, and then straight back to the tips. Weird huh? The only other mods are a fresh K&N.

First race:
We take off as I drop it @ 2500 rpms. A *little* boggy and we're dead even. He starts pulling after I shift to second. Then I'm pulling as I completly miss 3rd! hahaha So we both turn around, and I tell him what happened, I also realize the traction control was still on. (d'oh) So, naturaly I shut it off.

Second race:
I still drop it @ 2500 (after all this isn't my car) and HOLY CRAP I WAS SIDEWAYS FOR ABOUT 30 FEET! After correcting and slaming it into second I was a fender ahead. ohgodohgodohgod PLEASE let me nail third like I grabbed second BAM! Best shift ever! @ the middle of third I had him by 3/4s a car and was SLLLLLLLLLLOOOWly pulling. After 4th I shut her down. Giddy like a school girl.
We drove back to the rendevous point and I told his girlfriend that her car hung like a champ! Vengeance was mine!

Wheres that GT28RS turbo anyway???? :wink:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
dont make it a habit of racing LS1 powered F-bodies if you'd like to win races..it even being remotely close was a fluke

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z28Driver said:
dont make it a habit of racing LS1 powered F-bodies if you'd like to win races..it even being remotely close was a fluke
Joe, I totally forgot what it was like to drive a land missle like that. I must be honest, although the straight line acceleration was impressive, they "feel" so cumbersome and unresponsive even durring a simple lane change! Granted, suspension mods like the ones i've invested in *my* car would help a Fbod tremendously but IMO a nearly $30k (off the lot) "sports car" should have it in the first place. No?

Oh, about it being a fluke, maybe I'm just a hell of a driver! :wink:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i'll grant ya that you are probably a good driver and the auto f-body probably had 2:73 rear gearing....the idea of the F-body being a sports car is a misnomer in my eyes...granted it is very fast in the straight it can't handle worth a damn...so IMHO the miata is more of a "sports" car then an F-body. The F-body is more of a muscle car its brute strength but really nothing else. One thing to consider is that F-bodies are nearly as heavy as the passat so considering they are smaller it is cumbersome and lets face it going fast straight is only part of the experience hence why i bought my GTi

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed on all points. But I believe he's got me beat in the weight. He is tipping the scales at 3380lbs, and I'm at exactly 3180lbs (minus drivers) so, there you go. 200lbs heavier! Piggy!
You might be right that hes got 2:73s gears, since he said part of the reason he lost to the M6 TransAM is that the Bird had shorter gears...stock(3:23s)

In any case, It was a good experience, and I can only go one way from here (racing wise) :lol:

Thanks for your input Joe!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Agreed with Z28. One of the techs at work has a 00 SS 6 speed. With a racing clutch, ring gear, slicks and exhaust, he's running 12.4's all day. The car is otherwise stock, no engine work yet....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts