Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There was a bone stock, 2010 GT-R there that was running the course in 0:52-0:55. I ran the course 11 times, DNF'd six, and ran 1:08, 1:07, 1:09, 1:06, and 1:03 when I completed. And I didn't hit a single cone. =D My DNF's were all because I couldn't "see" the course on two different corners during the two different heats. I walked the course twice before we began, but it didn't help my weird interpretations of the course.

So, aside from becoming more comfortable with the whole navigating cones thing, does anyone have any tips for my general driving? I basically stayed in second gear the whole time and came into the last corner way to fast/wide, nearly taking out the timer. Whew. Otherwise, I seemed to follow instructions well when one of the staffers rode shotgun. It was so much fun.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Was that you!? I wish I would have known! I was the other Passat misreading the cones and DNF-ing lololol. :thumbup::lol:

I thought I only messed up a couple of times but I was missing gates every run and no one told me till part way through the second half of the day. I had a blast anyhow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bahaha. Man, they sent their ride-along coach with me after my third DNF in the first heat. He helped, but it was the second heat where I was really screwing up, haha. Still, though, I blew my 1:05 goal for the day out of the water on that last run. I'm so glad I didn't run over their timer. >.< Haha. That would've been a disaster.

But yeah, I had loads of fun, too. =) I'm sunburned today, but I'll tend to that next time, haha. Whats the next autox event you'll be going to, Steve?

Zach and Dehrs - You guys should totally do it. =D It's highly entertaining.

And yes, I'm running APR's 93 octane chip and I've got the Koni FSD / Eibach Pro Kit suspension on my car. It's a dream to drive. =)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha. Yeah, I was impressed when I saw the footage. Even with the Konis! The car handled beautifully, but that turn always had my tires squealing or I braked too hard and should've dropped to first gear. Everyone was taking corners on three wheels though. =D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't imagine what would've happened on stock suspension, haha.

When I first got this car (way before I got the FSD's for it) I took a corner at a wide-open intersection once with my girlfriend following me. She later told me I took the corner on two wheels, haha. I think I easily pushed the Passat harder in this autox than on that corner back then.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rock on Steve. =D I'll be there too.

This time I'll just hide myself in your trunk since I know what your car looks like but still have no idea what _you_ look like!

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Check this out...

Windy City Miata Club Autocross schedule.
Autocross

I just tried to pre-register for 5/20/12, Alexian Field, Schaumburg, IL and the date didn't appear in the drop-down-menu. I'm guessing that one is full. :(

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
As obvious as it sounds, SEEING THROUGH the turns/cones is immensely helpful. Looking at one turn at a time will slow you down, and cause you to make last second reactions/turns, most likely going off course or finishing much slower. Object fixation... look where you want to go 2-3 turns away and you'll naturally find your way there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts