Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer where I bought my 2K B5 from. They had an Audi S4 for sale. The salesman was nice enough to let me drive it for a few minutes. All I had to say is WOW. That 2.7 BiTurbo engine is amazing. No turbo lag whatsoever. The HP is amazing. It just doesn't stop accelerating.
The interior however is not that good. Looks and feels cheap :thumbdow: . I guess to make it sporty. The rear leg room is tiny.
The seats are too slippery. My conclusion: Although a great car, I still like my B5.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What seat setup did it have. I'm guessing from the slippery comment, it probably did not have the alcantara inserts.
I have always been a huge fan of the B5 S4. I keep looking at them and wanting to buy, but I am never able. What parts do you feel are cheap? The interior of the A4 was smaller than the B5.
I have always prefered the exterior styling of the A4 however, it has a perfect balance between sporty and conservative.
The engine is the real gem of the car tho. The 2.7TT 30V V6 is amazing. In stock form it is restricted by software. Once chipped and a good exhaust is mounted it can really cook. The turbos are definately the worst part of the enigne. The stock K03 setup lacks durability and many hrd driven S4s burn through the turbos in about 60000miles. Many companies offer K04 upgrades from the European RS4. The S4 is quite a car. It can be quite a performance car, but few will give it a second glance.
If money were no issue, I'd be rocking an RS4 styled volcano black S4 with all the goodies... but money is an issue, so I continue to dream

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had leather seats. No inserts. The overall look was cheap. very plasticy and almost like a jap. You're right about the styling. The S4 looks better, especially at the back. I wish I can do what one of the members here. Drop the S4's engine in my B5. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
cooling in the engine bay is the big problem on the B5 S4...the oil lines for the two K03 turbos suffer a lot and a lot of failures have happened as a result...
It's a wonderful engine and car...in the A6's which have a much bigger engine bay the same engine has no problems...

How you can call the interior of the S4 cheap I have no idea...it is one of the best finished cars around and certainly not cheap...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Plenty of owners have blown turbos without even being modified, or driving them hard (so they claim). The things are not very reliable.

As for cheap interior... The B5 S4/A4 has better quality materials than the Passat. I don't really know what you're talking about. There's nothing in an A4 that is lower quality than a Passat, and they're basically the same car, so...

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
The slippery seats can be easily cured with a pair of Audi pants, available at most dealers. They were standard equipment in Europe, but didn't make it to the U.S., something to do with the conversion to left hand drive I think.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It did look cheap. but now that I think about it. It was covered with a carbon fiber like material. Is this stock? It simply felt and looked horrible. Maybe it added by someone. I've never been in S4, so it might have been a guy who has no taste in cars.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i don't get the cheap interior part, thats just me :suspicio: :???:

·
Registered
301 Posts
It was covered with a carbon fiber like material. Is this stock? It simply felt and looked horrible.
chances are you got in one owned by someone who didnt know how to appreciate what they had. north american S4's didnt have carbon trim as an option, but RS4's and euro S4's did. if that was what was in the car, you wouldnt have thought it was cheap. this guy prolly had the ugly stick on shit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I love my S4, and IMO the interior as far as quality and materials is slightly better than the Passat's. I DO like the Passat interior though, I remember sitting in my brother's Passat when he first got it, and was like DAMN, this is NICE! :) I don't have the alcantara inserts :cry: but I don't think the regular leather seats are too bad...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I wouldn't call the interior "cheap", but yeah they should have done more to differentiate it from the A4. I did not think it was any nicer than a base A4.

The alcantara seats are VERY nice and grippy! ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
The resale on these cars is so poor, though, that you can buy one, wait till the turbos blow, then upgrade them with your extra cash.

I saw a 2000 with 35,000 miles on it sell for $22K recently. I missed it by 30 minutes.

What's the word on the 4.2?

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
nycpassat said:
yeah, don't buy one. Turbos always blow on those cars. :thumbdow:

But the seats are nicer than the passats.
Dont mean to be an ass here....but dont they blow on any car? All turbos go eventually.
:wink:

I think they fixed this problem later on the model years anyways.

Personally I think S4s are awesome...I even like them better then the new ones. I just dont think I can own one without K04s or a new starter :lol:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
593 Posts
Turbo's on S4's ARE known to be a problem. You will find no statistic to provide evidence that a 2001 was any more reliable then a 2000. You WILL however find more then enough data to support chipped vs. non chipped turbo failures (85% to 15%) The S4 is a VERY reliable vehicle when stock and treated right. Most people however cannot contain themselves and chip the car right away, then flog the hell out of it, then wonder why they are writing a check for 5-7K to have the turbos replaced (yup... pull the motor)

As for the CF trim, it was never available in the US, so it was deffinetly added by a previous owner. Stock S4 interior trim is VERY nice in my opinion. Of course I have the blue alcantara sport option on mine, so I'm a little biased!

Rian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
Filness
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing