Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a Neuspeed exhaust, I noticed lately that my growl has turned into a emphysemic grumble. Fearing a cat flange had busted, I jacked the car up and crawled underneath to find that the flex portion of the downpipe just rearward of the engine has crumbled apart. I sort of poked at it and it moved. Then, being sure the pipe wasn't hot, I pulled on the pipe behind the flex part and it came right off! :mad:

So, not wanting to dump big bank on a new exhaust (new brakes and other miscellaneous maintenance issues take priority), I need to band-aid fix this for the time being. Anybody know if this mesh flex portion is really necessary or can I use a slip joint in its place?

On a side note, the car isn't as loud as you would think with a big exhaust leak. The rear section of the pipe wasn't even hot despite a half-hour highway drive, so it must all be coming out right at the flex joint. I used to drive a Mazda MPV and when the flange on the downpipe broke it sounded like a Peterbilt.

I put the exhaust on back in June of 2000. Is 4 years a reasonable service life?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
was the DP from neuspeed also? if so, they should cover that kind of think in some sort of warranty. and no, 4 years is not at all reasonable service life. give em a call.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
JDigga: this is actually a problem on the older Neuspeed flex pipes. I bought mine around 11/99 and by the time it went out, it was only 2 years old at most. However, I talked to Neuspeed and New Dimensions (where I bought it from , with receipt) and promptly gave it to ND and they exchanged my old one for a new one.

It's guaranteed for life to the original owner. Hope you kept the receipt!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

IDriveB5: yeah, the whole system from the cat back is from Neuspeed.

UA_Variant: good link, thanks. Depending on how it goes with Neuspeed and Greedspeed, I may go that route as another option.

HermanH: I'm sure I have that receipt around here somewhere. Are you still running that replacement DP section? If so, is it holding up better than the old one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts