Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 1.8T with 95K miles on it and while driving the other day something went bad. While on the highway the engine just dismantled. The dealer told me that something shot through the block. He tells me that it was a piece of the connecting rod.

I just got the bad news and they want all of my work done on the car since new. I have changed my oil withing 3K miles with a few outside at around 5K. My question is this - I know I have most but I'm guessing I am missing a few receipts. I do all my oil changes since the dealer filled my engine with 6 cylinder amount on two seperate occasions. Do you think this will be a problem? I have had the car in for a number of maintenance issues and was just wondering if I need to provide them with paperwork like they are asking or if they have to prove I was neglegant. Don't get me wrong, I have kept the car up but the dealer already has me on the offensive.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Nah, they are just wanting to make sure before they buy/fix your engine and pay that money out of their pocket that you did not neglect your engine. I would provide them with as much as you can. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
turbochargedb5 said:
Your dealership should have all paper work on file. Every time I enter my dealership they enter my information, and the work they done on my car.

Good luck.
Bossman said:
I do all my oil changes since the dealer filled my engine with 6 cylinder amount on two seperate occasions.
I think this is the part that is giving Bossman the willies. The dealer didn't do all the work.

Bossman, I agree with the other comments, just rake up everything you can as evidence.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you have a friend that has a repair facility get him to give you some reciepts too that cover the "gaps" in your maitenance schedule. It is very important that you do not take any of this for granted, because I am pretty certain that they will not hesitate to deny you warranty. Make sure you CYA :thumbup: . Good Luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies!

I have used 3 different stealerships due to relocating and also poor service (imagine that). Even the place I bought it doesn't have me on file any longer because I have not used them for 1 year. So I am worried I won't be able to get paperwork from two stealers if I don't already have them.

........still gathering my papers.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Have you learned what caused this damage? That is, what can the rest of us learn from your exerience?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You should be OK showing the work done to it via a paper trail.

Make sure you only give them copies, though. I have had them 'loose' documents (copies) in the past.

As for throwing a rod, short of race engine (even rare there) you just don't hear about it much. They are very stout designs.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I threw a rod in my 1993 Toyota Tercel. Of course it was about 30 seconds after the large chunk of oil pan fell off the car and the head gasket blew at 80 mph.... That was a really bad day....

That's the day I learned the importance of A) changing your oil and B) avoiding potholes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bossman said:
I have used 3 different stealerships due to relocating and also poor service (imagine that). Even the place I bought it doesn't have me on file any longer because I have not used them for 1 year. So I am worried I won't be able to get paperwork from two stealers if I don't already have them.
I am not trying to flame, but getting things done by other people usually starts with respect. With the attitude of calling dealerships - "stealerships" ... I can see you might have a hard time getting them to help you at all.

Scuba2001 said:
Found the thread. Ever tried searching through over 7000 posts since November to locate the thread because the search function sucks?
On that same note..The ClubB5 staff does a GREAT job on this site. To say something sucks? What a slap in the face to them and thier efforts.

--Drew

ClubB5 SPECIAL!! -- http://www.drew-auto.com/links/clubb5 .... NO MIN ORDER!!, 20% off with coupon: ClubB5

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Sorry Drew... but I give alot of credit to the CB5 crew for keeping the site in line. Search around a little. Read through the Comments and suggestions forum. The moderators and admin's admit to a sucky search function. It took me prolly close to 2 hours to find that thread. Search for "Dealer says" by myself as the author. You will never find it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bossman said:
Thanks for the replies!

........still gathering my papers.
Don't worry about that. They can find your paper work by entering your VIN in their system. Any dealership can do this. It will give you a print out with mileage, dates and work codes which they can cross reference to find out what was done. I bought a 3 year old Jetta and wanted to find out what maintenace had been done on the vehicle. Just find a friendly service rep.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Trekie said:
Don't worry about that. They can find your paper work by entering your VIN in their system. Any dealership can do this. It will give you a print out with mileage, dates and work codes which they can cross reference to find out what was done. I bought a 3 year old Jetta and wanted to find out what maintenace had been done on the vehicle. Just find a friendly service rep.
Ummm, not necessarily.

My dealer generates nothing on the computer for service. Not the work order, not the final invoice, nothing. It's all on paper (just like when I drove a 1976 Dasher) and filed away in folders in file cabinets. That's why I keep everything (and I mean everything) related to our variant in my own big paper folder in my own file cabinet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts