Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I'm particularly interested in people's experiences with dealers and VWOA with regards to the drivetrain warranty.

I was motoring over the nearly empty rural roads at about 60 mph or so, headed for a day of kayaking, when the car starts beeping and the check engine light comes on. I stop and shut off the engine as quickly as possible, but before that can hear what sounds like a cement mixer full of beer bottles. I figure this is less than optimal.

Next day, tow the car to the dealer. They determine that the timing belt jumped, and so the pistons and valves were interacting in an inappropriate manner. Today they'll pull the cylinder heads off "to see how the pistons look" they said.

What am I looking at here? The car is a 2000 B5 Variant, 59850 miles. Believe it or not, I was going to make an appointment this week to get the timing belt replaced. The service advisor said that in order to for the warranty to be in effect, I would have to show that I had performed the scheduled maintenance on the car. I had an independent garage do the 40k work, but since then I've changed the oil every 5000 miles myself. It's the one piece of maintenance I can do, and I'd much rather do it myself than let some Lube Monkey cross-thread the drain bolt. What does an oil change have to do with a timing belt tensioner anyway?

I figure there is no way the dealer can refuse to honor the warranty, but how likely are they to try? I am concerned that they may try to get by on the cheap by replacing the valves and leaving me with a damaged head, scored cylinder walls, etc. Is there a snowball's chance that they would supply a loaner car while doing this kind of work?

Your advice, suggestions and stories would be very welcome.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I figure there is no way the dealer can refuse to honor the warranty, but how likely are they to try?
Seems to me they are trying already. Please keep the board informed about how things work out. I can recall others here scrapping together their service documents under similar circumstances. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They will want to see receipts for all the services (or oil/filters you bought yourself) that are not in their computer, i.e. the 40k service.

If you have all that, you're golden.
Basicly, they are looking to make sure you were not neglegent in maintaining the car (no 10k mile oil change intervals, that sort of thing).

Same thing happened to me, and because I keep all my service receipts, I had no problems. Good luck on the loaner :lol:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=668710

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
If you can create a log book of reasonable veracity, you should be ok. In theory, you would have receipts for oil and filters, but these are hard to keep track of some times. When they pull your valve cover, it will be pretty clear whether you have maintained it or not, but the documentation is a good backup.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Oil changes have nothing to do with the timing belt! Looks like they are already trying to weazel there way out of fixing the engine for you!
They have to prove that neglete caused the timing belt failure. An oil change did not cause the timing belt failure for sure or any other 40K check up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you should be OK

My timing belt and tensioner broke at 85K. the powertrain warranty goes to 100K. the dealer replaced the whole valvetrain under warranty, and i never had to show them proof of maintenance. I do it all myself, and just jot it down in the book. maybe they just told VWOA that i had it done at their shop - i will never know.
my dealings with VWOA, however, have been...defensive. twice i have called them with Major, legitimate problems. they act like they could care less, and that whatever BS the dealer is saying is the undeniable truth. VWOA must get a lot of frivilous warranty claims, because they automatically assume that my call must be bogus. anyway, dont expect too mush ass-kissing from VWOA. you are just a potential liar to them. they really depend on the word of the dealership - and those guys will never admit to any wrongdoing or incompetence. sigh. i have vented.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
sandibert...so what happened? Are they stepping up to the plate or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.