Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the 2k2 b5.5 v6...
aren't all cars in america by law required to have the trunk release lever (inside the trunk) ? o_O

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
What do you mean, 'it's missing'? Can you see where it's supposed to go but it's not there, or were you just expecting to find one there in place of a blank sheet of carpeting?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I have an early vin v6 02.
Lemme look, but I really don't think i have one.
Makes disposing of problems easier ;)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It's nice to have - I showed it to my son (4-1/2 years old) and explained what it was and how it works.
Hopefully he will never need to use it.
Or me, come to think of it...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I think most states call that child endangerment.
Not if you're standing right there, silly. Besides, by that definition, as a child my mother "endangered" me by letting me touch a lightbulb to find out what hot was, and my father "endangered" me by letting me take a drag on his cigarette so I would learn why smoking was bad. But of course, it wasn't "endangerment" for my mother to smoke the whole time she was pregnant with me.

The real danger to children in America is that they don't get to experience a damn thing that is actually bad until they turn 18, and so they have no concept of what "bad" really is. Getting hit in the head with a football is not "bad"; getting locked in a trunk IS "bad". Listening to angry music is not "bad"; taking a gun to school IS "bad". Without the experience of what these things can do to a person, though, some kid might think it's funny to close the trunk on their friend, or to wave a gun around during lunch.

What if the guy's kid really did get locked in the trunk of a car, and he didn't know how to get out because it's dark and he can't see and he's scared? I, for one, think that making the kid practice while someone's nearby to help is a far less dangerous experience.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What if the guy's kid really did get locked in the trunk of a car, and he didn't know how to get out because it's dark and he can't see and he's scared? I, for one, think that making the kid practice while someone's nearby to help is a far less dangerous experience.
thats why they make them glow in the dark:whistle: .. and that last part is not what you said to do....

You should take him outside when he's asleep and lock him in there just once, so he can practice using it in an emergency.
you basicly said to take the kid out of bed while they are sleeping and stuff them in a trunk in the middle of the night so when he wakes up hes traumatized for the rest of his life...

sure hope you dont have kids or plan to.:nervous:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
i'm assuming you're not serious and you said this as a joke and in that case it's pretty damn funny. imo.
It is a dash of being serious mixed with a generous helping of absurdity. Obviously the kid would be scared to death in that situation, and while that WOULD be the best way to simulate actually being trapped or kidnapped, it of course would not be the appropriate thing to do.

As for the handle glowing in the dark...do you happen to know if it's laced with Radium, or is it just coated in phosphorescent paint? Because unless it's radioactive, it's not going to glow for more than a couple of minutes at best.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I never said that you would lock your sleeping kid in the trunk AND WALK AWAY. No, even in my silliness it was implied -- though I guess you didn't pick up on it -- that you would stay there and make sure your kid was okay. Assuming you're actually stupid enough to lock your sleeping kid in the trunk in the first place, of course. You didn't really believe I was seriously suggesting traumatizing a child to such an extreme, did you? Are you, by any chance, one of those people who also believes that kids who play DOOM go around trying to shoot people afterwards? Because I gotta think it takes a similar level of hysteria to believe I was being completely serious before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I bought my '88 Jetta (new) the salesman showed me how to open the trunk from inside: in casy your wife locks you in there. I showed my kids how to do it. then started wondering if some public-spirited citizen saw me putting my kids in the trunk and shutting them in.... No cops arrived to arrest me and rescue the kids so either my neighbors didn't notice or just didn't give a damn.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts