Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok well as EVERYONE on here probably knows intakes are a touchy subject. ABD always had the nicest design IMO, but they cannot seem to deliver, plus their heat shield is pretty awful from what ive read/seen. So i decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own intake. First the parts that were used:

1. Heatshield from 00black1.8t on Audizine (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89270): $90

2. 1 180 Degree Mandrel Bend from ECSTuning: 20

3. 1 90 Degree Mandrel Bend from ECSTuning: $20

4. Silicone Reducer (ideally it would be 2.75'' to 2.5'' to go from the MAF to the ECS Pipes, but i just used a 3-2.5 and it tightened down just fine.): $7-10

5. 2.5'' Silicone Coupling (i used a 3-3 because that is all Autozone had, ill probably order a better 2.5'' one from Hightempsilicone or hosetechniques soon to replace it though): $7-10

6. K&N Cone Air Filter (i had one on my MAF before i got the intake so mine has a 2.75'' ID, but you would want to get one with a 2.5'' one to match with the piping): $40-50

7. Small breather filter (if your car is equipped with a SAIP). They sell them at Autozone: $5ish

Total cost: $185, add shipping and everything and you are looking at about $200ish for an intake and heat shield :)

Ok, here is what i did:

1. Remove factory airbox
2. Bold up MAF to end of the turbo inlet pipe
3. Take the 180 degree bend and test fit in the car. It needs to be trimmed on both sides. I took off a little less then 2.5'' of each side and it worked out nicely.
4. Take the silicone reducer and attach to the MAF, then attach the newly trimmed 180 degree pipe.
5. Take the filter and place it as low as possible. It will rest on a little ledge down there.
6. Insert the 90 degree bend in the filter and measure where you need to cut on that one. I dont remember how much i took of, i think it was around 3-4''
7. Test fit everything, it takes a little work to get everything to fit right. What i did was half tighten everything then twist it around until it sat where i wanted it to.
8. Enjoy :)

Now for the good part. Pictures (please ignore the dirty engine bay and the fingerprinted pipes, i need to clean it all up some, but i think it turned out pretty nicely).

EDIT: New Picture with everything cleaned up

Let me know what you all think :)

-Jordan

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thats some nice craftsmanship. Do you notice any gains at all? That heat shield is no joke. I'm going to have to give this a try. Good Job.

·
Registered
353 Posts
3. Take the 180 degree bend and test fit in the car. It needs to be trimmed on both sides. I took off a little less then 2.5'' of each side and it worked out nicely.
4. Take the silicone reducer and attach to the MAF, then attach the newly trimmed 180 degree pipe.
5. Take the filter and place it as low as possible. It will rest on a little ledge down there.
6. Insert the 90 degree bend in the filter and measure where you need to cut on that one. I dont remember how much i took of, i think it was around 3-4''

No he did cut the pipes :poke:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Awesome work, looks professional. :thumbup:
Reminds me of what i did for my v6, although no where near as nice. I still want to make a heat sheild for it but havent got around to it.:banghead:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Any way of running dual temp sensors to see if the heat shield actually works?

Looks good.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

No he did cut the pipes :poke:
Eh...guess I didn't notice it my self...lol

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any way of running dual temp sensors to see if the heat shield actually works?

Looks good.
You can feel it...if i drive the car hard for 20-30 minutes, the turbo side is HOT and then intake side is barely warm. I cant touch the heatshield on the intake side after driving. It can get a little hot, but not nearly as hot as the turbo side is.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Got some constructive criticism Paul? Im always open for suggestions on how to make stuff better :)
don't take it as a bad thing jordan. i think you did a GREAT job on that intake other than the hosing which you said you were changing anyway, but in all fairness, the carbonio uses vacuum formed carbon fiber. that's just hard to beat. i will say yours looks WORLDS better thanany other intake i've seen, just not the carbonio.

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
don't take it as a bad thing jordan. i think you did a GREAT job on that intake other than the hosing which you said you were changing anyway, but in all fairness, the carbonio uses vacuum formed carbon fiber. that's just hard to beat. i will say yours looks WORLDS better thanany other intake i've seen, just not the carbonio.
Got it :) I agree though, the carbonio is probably the best out there as far as performance goes...if it wasnt so expensive i might have gotten it. I almost bought a the older version like 3 times over on AZ, but they either sold before i could pay or i changed my mind on it. Not sure why, but the i never really liked the look of the newer version with just a huge piece of CF over the whole side. Oh well, im pretty happy with how this turned out. I just need a new TIP since the stock one looks REALLY bad now :crazy:

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have a pic of only the heatshield showing the bottom side? I wonder how it's held in place.
Here are a couple pictures of the heatshield from before i installed it. It basically just sits there wedged between the oem heatshielding. Im thinking about cutting up the factory airbox cover to cover up some of the AC lines and stuff, if i do that im going to droll some holes in it and fasten it to the heatshield so it is a little more fixed in place. It doesnt move around now, it just isnt 100% sturdy where it is.

HTH

·
Registered
347 Posts
just ordered all the stuff to make mine... thanks for the inspiration.. gonna attempt to mod a new heat shield... ill post some pic up when im done

1 - 20 of 54 Posts