Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dinner. Came back to car. Doors were still locked and.......Seems my JVC 3-disk in the dash grew a set of legs and vanished out of my car. By the way, I'm an American living in Belgium. Been to some real sketchy places so far and no probs. Parked 3 rows from the entrance. One of the few times I don't feel I have to take off the faceplate and now it's nothing but wires hanging outta my dash. No damage to my dash or my doors. Any ideas?????? Other than buy a new radio/cd changer and not go to the movies in Brussels....

[Modified by B5Bookman, 9:19 PM 11/23/2002]

<![CDATA[Went to the dinner. Came back to car. Doors were still locked and.......Seems my JVC 3-disk in the dash grew a set of legs and vanished out of my car. By the way, I'm an American living in Belgium. Been to some real sketchy places so far and no probs. Parked 3 rows from the entrance. One of the few times I don't feel I have to take off the faceplate and now it's nothing but wires hanging outta my dash. No damage to my dash or my doors. Any ideas?????? Other than buy a new radio/cd changer and not go to the movies in Brussels....

[Modified by B5Bookman, 9:19 PM 11/23/2002]

[Modified by B5Bookman, 9:21 PM 11/23/2002]

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Re: My cd changer grew legs......i think (B5Bookman)

I found this style of stealth to be the best:

http://www.snmptools.org/br5/roll01/medium/img_0892.jpg
http://www.snmptools.org/br5/roll01/medium/img_0895.jpg
http://www.snmptools.org/br5/roll01/medium/img_0896.jpg
http://www.snmptools.org/br5/roll01/medium/img_0897.jpg

when parked, it looks 100.0% stock. nothing for theives to be interested in.

when I get in the car, I flip off the face and get to the goodies behind it ;-)

it takes some work to mount like this but on a double din, its not so hard. even removing the face isn't hard at all (4 screws and it prys off without even damaging it!).

best way to keep your stuff is to never advertise it.

just remove the 'din can' from your head unit and mount it recessed in back. use velcro or something similar to stick it to the bottom of the din hole. that's all you really need. or you can screw it down if you really want to.

sorry for your loss. were you playing it loud before you parked? if so, don't ever do that again, either. always keep volume down when driving away or driving to a place. and try to flip up the faceplate (like mine) BEFORE you enter the parking lot. no need to let anyone SEE you do that.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Re: My cd changer grew legs......i think (linux-works)

Sorry Linux, but thats probobly the most hack looking thing I have ever seen. Dont get me wrong, if it works for you, all power to you, it is creative. I just couldent have my baby looking like that. But hey, ->thats just like my opinon man<--(Big Lebowski)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Re: My cd changer grew legs......i think (Espaz11)

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

or, rather, the deck that STAYS in the car is the most BEAUTIFUL one of all ;-)

I haven't done any work to clean the trim up. its pure functionality at this point. and the sound
is amazing. not to mention having 40gig (somewhere around 10000 songs) online, on demand.

but even if I left it in this raw state, its good peace of mind to be able to come back to your car and NOT find broken glass and a jimmied door lock and all your stuff inside gone.

I'll take ugly over pretty if it means I get to keep my stuff (and also deprive the theif of my stuff, its a double win).

discl: I'm certainly not the first to use a fake factory faceplate like this. but I did want to show how easy it is with the current model year double-din to pull this stunt off.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Re: My cd changer grew legs......i think (Espaz11)

not to put too fine a point on it, but please tell me how your setup (with a CHROME looking radio) looks nicer inside than my setup?

when I walk away from my car, it looks 100.0% stock. when you walk away from yours, you're essentially telling any onlooker hey, I have an aftermarket goodie here; maybe other stuff too! come take a closer look!

no thanks man! that nice wood trim you have 'fights' with the chrome Real Horror-show <----clockwork orange movie reference for ya ;-)

·
Registered
311 Posts

What did you gain with the aftermarket unit that you didn't have with that factory job?

I have that factory radio -- and, I guess I don't know how bad it is -- other than it's the best I've owned thus far.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Re: My cd changer grew legs......i think ('03 Tradewind)

>What did you gain with the aftermarket unit that you didn't have with that factory job?

the factory radio didn't have a convenient line-in (for my mp3 unit).

plus the factory radio was a PIG in that it 'stole' 2 full din holes. I'd be less offended if it took ownership of only 1. that way I could have my lcd/button controller take the other and I'd be almost ok with the factory head being there.

the factory head isn't totally horrible. and if I didn't want mp3 and an lcd controller up front, I could probably live with tapping into the rear changer cable for either an analog cd changer or a digital cdrom/mp3/analog changer (you can get both kinds, now).

the audio isn't the best from the factory head but its not totally horrible either. for me, the main reason to dump it was the fact that I couldn't solve my mp3 problem and have the factory radio there at the same time.

damn them [vw] for doing a double DIN!. autos should ALWAYS let the user have his choice over how he wants DIN hole #2 used ;-)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>not to put too fine a point on it, but please tell me how your setup (with a CHROME looking radio) looks nicer inside than my setup?

when I walk away from my car, it looks 100.0% stock. when you walk away from yours, you're essentially telling any onlooker hey, I have an aftermarket goodie here; maybe other stuff too! come take a closer look!

no thanks man! that nice wood trim you have 'fights' with the chrome Real Horror-show <----clockwork orange movie reference for ya ;-)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So sorry, didnt mean to start a war here. You see, to me, sound quality is much more importiant to looks for me, so instead of buying a Blau becuase it matches the interior of my car I went with a Pioneer becuase it sounds better. I only mentioned yours looks hack because when your IN the car it looks bad. Like I said, if it works for you, great. It doesnt work for me. Besides, I have an aftermarket alarm in addition to the factory, and I have inssurance. If you want to start shit on a board,go to Vortex......they seem to like fights there better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts