Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What year is your car (and what month of manufacture - look at the drivers door jamb). If it's 98 or 99 it is most likely the TB tensioner, or the TB roller.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I advise that you change your timing belt immediatelly. Your car has the old style TB tensioner that is very prone to failure. With your mileage I bet the sound is the TB tensioner. It's about to fail, and if it does you will have to rebuild the head and maybe get new pistons as the 1.8T engine is no clearance engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boris said:
I advise that you change your timing belt immediatelly. Your car has the old style TB tensioner that is very prone to failure. With your mileage I bet the sound is the TB tensioner. It's about to fail, and if it does you will have to rebuild the head and maybe get new pistons as the 1.8T engine is no clearance engine.
I got my Timing Belt changed about 3k miles ago...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know what is the problem, but don't be sad mate!!!!

It surely can be fixed. :thumbup:

Seek for proffesional assistant. And when I say proffesional I don't mean the first garage you find in your way..............

It will be fixed!!!!! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.