Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I was driving in a residential area last night, poking along at about 30mph, and I heard a grinding noise and a THUNK! I pulled over to the side of the road, hit the hazard lights, got out of the car and took a look around on the road. I found these:

Sorry for the crappy image quality, but I took the pictures quickly, as I was actually on the way to a friends house to return the digital camera I had borrowed. :D The car drives fine, it's not leaking any fluids, no CEL... so I assume it's just some kind of shielding that had rattled loose over the 2850 (!) miles I have had the car. Note the one bolt I found and the chunck missing out of the larger peice where it got wedged between the bottom of the car and the concrete.

I drove the car home and climbed underneath to see what was missing. I couldn't see anything obvious (including any damage where they impacted - whew!)... of course I couldn't get very far under the car, and didn't feel like breaking out of the jack because it was getting late. Not sure I would have been able to tell anyways, as it was the first time I had really insepcted the underbelly of the car.

Any idea what the hell these parts are? Is it safe to drive the car without them? I called the part department this morning and gave them the number listed on the one part and it didn't come back with anything. I'm trying to get into the dealership today to get it taken care of, as I'm going out of town tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Abe

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
jasonmac said:
parts4vws.com (aka www.impexfap.com) lists the part as "Shield", nothing more; which engine do you have?
2 different places...www.parts4vws.com is different from Impex AKA www.vwparts.com.

Have you looked in the engine bay from the top, it could have fallen from there but I would bring it to the dealer if it only has 3K miles.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
As a brand new vehicle, GO BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP.

If anything you get it on record that it came off, and if you run into problems later, then it might lead back to whatever caused the shield to fall off in the first place.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dont worry bout what part it is. if you got a 04 1.8t SEND THE CAR BACK. ITS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE FOR THAT TYPE OF PEICE TO FALL OFF NO EXEPTIONS!!!

Seriously bro with no cap locks dont take any BS from the dealer. those parts are not supposed to fall off simple. tell the dealer you want an explanation asap and that you didnt buy an 04 vw to see parts like this fall off. i dont care if its just a shield of some sort this is totally unacceptable...

if this happened to me i would return the car park it in front of their show room and say i want another car asap cause this is completely bs....

Ganx14
:weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys! The first thing I did after I called the parts department was call the service department - had to leave a message for 'em because nobody would pick up the phone. I'm planning on taking it in this afternoon whether they have time for me or not. :evil:

Abe

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The dealer will tell you for sure, but it looks like the shield that covers the CV joint where it goes into the transmission. You could check by seeing if the one on the other side is still there..... It is basically a cover that goes over the top half of the CV joint

·
Registered
25 Posts
tschmidty said:
The dealer will tell you for sure, but it looks like the shield that covers the CV joint where it goes into the transmission. You could check by seeing if the one on the other side is still there..... It is basically a cover that goes over the top half of the CV joint
You are right, this is a shield sitting on top of CV joint, as I remember, connected to engine. I had the same problem when my axle unscrewd.

$33+tax from a dealer

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late update guys, but I went out of town yesterday. I brought my car into the dealership Friday afternoon after talking with one of the service reps in the early afternoon. You guys were right, it is the heat shield sitting on top of the CV joint (it also protects the starter wires). They recommended that I not drive the car, so they ordered the parts to do the repairs under warranty, and put me in a loaner for the weekend (brand new Honda Accord EX - pretty nice). I gotta give the guys at Don Jacobs here in Lexington, Ky a big "thumbs up" for the great service they have always, and continue, to provide to me!

Abe

·
Registered
712 Posts
abegetchell said:
Sorry for the late update guys, but I went out of town yesterday. I brought my car into the dealership Friday afternoon after talking with one of the service reps in the early afternoon. You guys were right, it is the heat shield sitting on top of the CV joint (it also protects the starter wires). They recommended that I not drive the car, so they ordered the parts to do the repairs under warranty, and put me in a loaner for the weekend (brand new Honda Accord EX - pretty nice). I gotta give the guys at Don Jacobs here in Lexington, Ky a big "thumbs up" for the great service they have always, and continue, to provide to me!

Abe
I would've taken the Accord as an insult. "First parts fall off and now this?!?!" I'll walk! :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe... yeah, I'm sure they were expecting that from me actually, given my reputation around there. I actually don't mind the Accord too much. It's actually a much more "balanced" car than ours (stock) - I think it handles better and feel more "lively" around town, but get it out on the highway and it feel like you're driving a coffee can when you get to speeds above 80mph.

Abe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts