Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming this thing has never been changed before. How often should they be replaced? Probably more frequently than the time it takes to turn black and fill up with leaves and shiite, huh?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Probably once a year. I do mine 2 a year.
Edit: You could probably check it and remove any large crap more often then that though.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You may have had a charcoal-laced filter. No way to check now, I think, but you may want to replace the filter with a charcoal-laced one to kill various smells you may drive through.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
mine...has never been changed :nervous:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm assuming this thing has never been changed before. How often should they be replaced? Probably more frequently than the time it takes to turn black and fill up with leaves and shiite, huh?
VW maintenance schedule recommends this be done every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
537 Posts
mine was in a right state too. looked like it was last changed in 1972. think it was responsible for the odour that has been in the car since I bought it - kind of mouldy smell :) Since changing the cabin filter it has gone :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any recommendations on where the cheapest ones are to be found? SASPOnline has them for $25 shipped.

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
I just changed mine last month, and it looked like it was the original :puke: . I took some pictures of it, if I can find them tonight I'll post them up. Also, I got mine from the dealer for around $17 or $18, it's not the carbon version but it should work for a while.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts