Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I like simple so a nice set of rims - 16 or 17 inches and some lowering springs and better shocks would go a long way. Nice car.

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
Just for those who want to save their clicks ;)

I'd say drop it, get a fresh set of wheels, and clean it up with debadging in the rear and blacking out/removing the front chrome emblem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :) new wheels are definitely a huge priority, just so costly. Im not sure how to debadge and remove the chrome emblem, but i can probably find out how from a tutorial somewhere

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
You can find nice sets of Audi wheels (A4 Sports, RS4s, RS6s, etc) for a few hundred on craigslist. Just gotta keep your eyes out.

As for the badging, the front emblem pops out if you want to plastidip it black or you can buy a badgeless grill. The rear, the letters just pop off with fishing line. But that's all your call, looking forward to seeing what you do with her :thumbup:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
For the front, your options are to paint the emblem in place or to replace the grill with a badgeless one.

For the back, the letters on the right and left side of the trunk lid are held on with body-tape. On a hot sunny day (or with a hair dryer heating the area) use fishing line or dental floss to undercut behind the letters. With the letters off, the remaining tape adhesive can be rubbed off with your fingers or automotive Bug & Tar remover. The VW logo in the center of the trunk lid is recessed into a circular impression in the metal. If you remove that you'll end up with a round depression about the size of the badge. You're better off using a hair dryer than a heat gun. If you use a heat gun the wrong way, you could bubble the paint permanently.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Depending on the kind of wheels you get, I would leave the front emblem on there and chrome. I have a black one, albeit a B5.5. I plastic-dipped most of the chrome lining around and the chrome slits on the grille but I left the emblem chrome for a nice offset. Here is a photo for reference:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats gorgeous! Hopefully i an find some rims, i live in a pretty desolate area, but ill take a look around. How much does a lowering cost? Grrrr so many ideas! I wish i had more money

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Since yours is a "black one" then if your lowers are tired looking, try restoring them with Mother's Back to Black or Forever Black.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks guys, i also wanna get the windows tinted
This was THE first thing I had done to my car after purchase, have never regretted it once. Cheaper than rims and springs/shocks, more useful than debadged grilles/trunks. Really adds a touch of class to any car. Be sure to check your local laws concerning tint %.

Other than that, I like Keith's suggestion, touch up the lowers with some black polish. Good cheap starting points.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, ill be sure to go ask about the blacking stuff you speak of. And the legal percentage i 35% here, and itll cost me about 250 to have it done. Ill post more pics when i get it done :) Mine doesnt have any chrome on it, so there is really nothing for me to plastidip!

·
Registered
238 Posts
please, don't tint it, i.e. all around, like headlights, rear lights, windshield, rims.... too much, just keep her clean!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think the B5 needs headlights more than anything else.
Also, I went with a slightly different approach with the front emblem, I blackened the circle but left the VW untouched to give it a sharp look.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Definitely tint it. It was the first thing I did to my car.. if you have tan/light interior go for 20%, otherwise 35% is plenty dark for black interior. It really makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you want an even better product for restoring all the plastic and rubber bits, get 303 Aerospace Protectant. Stuff works like a dream.

Heres a find on the Vortex classifieds, badgeless grill if that's the route you would like to go: VWVortex.com - fs b5 passat fk badgeless grill $50

How to debadge (at least just the letters on the back): http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/244134-how-debadge-your-trunk-pictures.html

I dont mind stock looking wheels, but the Passat, even into the B5.5 models, have some pretty ugly ones... Montreal's look good though :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts