Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I would like to get some info if you have on a problem that occured today.
After towing my boat to its winter dwelling my ´99 tdi started running on 3 cylinders i think (vibrations, worse when reving lightly). Looking under the hood I got the impression that compression might be leaking into the air intake as low thumping noise came from area of the airfilter. Got help to tow it to a VW service station nearby.

Story with this car is one of regular visits to the servicestation. After I bought the car it showed that it was losing coolant, this showed to be the head gasket after elliminating/exchanging close to 100% of the coolant system. Also a 1 year old coolant pump had seized in the meantime. At that time the mechanics said that the head was fine, only the gasket needed to be exchanged.

After this exchanging of the head gasket, by a vw shop, the car has run fine until today. My gretest worry is that the head has given out. Is this the likely answer or could I get these symptoms with only the gasket again?

Would appreciate encouraging answers...

Bo - Sweden

BTW - love it, when it runs...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You could have a compression check done on the cylinders. A little more involved with a diesel over a gas engine, but a worthy diagnostic. This would likely have identified the head gasket the first time around, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diesel engine post mortem....

Got a look under the valve cover yesterday, the 2:nd cylinder inlet valve had passed up through the pressure plate and was resting against the cam. Needless to say the entire cam axle was a pretty sorry sight. Debris had distributed evenly in the cam housing eating the axle alive...

Got the cylinder head removed today and the valves had not contacted the piston so I still have half of an engine to work with.

Now to the questions (I know most of you likely are petrolheads, but I try anyway), my engine is a 1,9 litre tdi (AFN)

1. If the piston hasnt touched the inlet valve, what makes the valve break through the top plate. Can this be regular wear and tear? The car has about 250.000km on it, and diesels are known to last for much longer in general.

2. I had the head gasket changed almost exactly a year ago, at which time the head was in good condition. Since then the car has run for 25.000km, can there be any connection or would that have shown much earlier? Im thinking metal filings from machining the head before replacement last time. I will likely not prove anything anyway, just cant believe that the same car can break down like this twice in a year... btw I drive it like a sissy :)

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You should talk to the folks at tdiclub.com They are more qualified to answer your questions. There are some serious "dieselheads" over there. :)

-mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts