Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I wake up get in my car and drive to work everything is fine, then when I drive to the store at lunch time. my turn signals don't work :roll: then find out my horn doesn't either, did I mention a/c blower, and windshield wipers. When I turn on headlights only the corners light up, and you can FLASH the brights. so eventually we bypassed the relay 213 or 214 and voila, but the relay isn't bad it is the power supply to the relay.....is there a fuse or something, possibly my ignition switch ? Of course when I left the mechanics place the E brake light was on in the dash even though it was disengaged :mad:. IT NEVER STOPS. Any suggestions or help would be great :wink: TIA

Nick

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your headlamp issues are very likely tied to the e-brake switch. They are operating just like the e-brake is engaged. Since the e-brake indicator is lit up in the dash the switch may be stuck, or shorted.

I don't know what could be causing the rest, but it could be tied back to the e-break switch.

·
Registered
445 Posts
it is the power supply to the relay
Now is the time for a wiring diagrahm. I can't load my CD on my system for some stupid reason or I'd look for you. Trace that wire back and go from there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
atomicalex said:
I'm going for ebrake switch, too. You can't turn on the lights when the ebrake is on in a VW.

Good luck. Sucky problem!
Strange. Although I've pulled the DRL relay and am using a EuroSwitch, I do recall being able to turn on my headlights with the Ebrake on.

I'll have to double check.

-Craig

·
Registered
941 Posts
atomicalex said:
I'm going for ebrake switch, too. You can't turn on the lights when the ebrake is on in a VW.

Don’t make yourself nuts guessing electrical gremlins… :crazy:

Get a test light and check each fuse on the panel. This will help you pinpoint the problem(s). Then check each component related to that fuse or fuses. If you are not sure what to do have a technician look at it. Sometimes the smallest malfunction causes the most trouble. :wink:

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been looked at.... they checked the fuse panel and ultimately found that a couple relays weren't getting power, when he shorted them, one made the horn work, another made the headlights, wipers, blowermotor, rear defroster, and everything else work again, but when new relays were installed it didn't work :???: So I was told that the power to the relays is not there. And it is possibly my ignition switch, or something, so when I bring it back to them tommorow thats where there gonna start to look. It got late and I had to pull the car from em to get home before dark(headlights aren't working :roll: )

After they had checked everything and took the bottom dash panel off, I left then all of the sudden in addition to everything not working, the light in my dash that says brake is now always lit?( cant be ebrake switch because when car is started and I lift e brake the lights in the dash gets brighter as long as it is on. :???:

I just had alternator and battery replaced not too long ago and now intermitently when I start the car the battery symbol in this dash is lit, as soon as I hit the throttle and it revs above 2k light instantly is gone ( this actually was the first thing that I noticed a couple weeks ago.

Then the other day I unlocked the door using keyhole on the passenger side saw the little lock raise and the f-in thing would not open :mad: so I had to open passenger back door and open passenger front door from inside.

My actual questions

Is there any fuses under the hood on a 98 B5 ?
whats the damn battery light tryin to tell me?
whys my suspension still making that funny clunk sound?
whys my tie rod ends need replacement and my control arms :crazy: ?
Will this vicious cycle ever stop :weirdo:

Thanks for comments help and basically just letting me rant on :)
I love this car so much but feel it is still braking constantly I have replaced 75% of a lemon so far and dont think I have the strength to keep it up for the 25% stretch. even though it is beatiful and I cant resist :nervous:

Nick

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I have a '98, and there are fuses and fusable links under the dash. I would bet that your problem is either there or the ignition switch. You have to take off the bottom section of the dash on the driver's side to get to them. BTW, the headlights do turn on in a '98 reguardless of the E-brake position. Let us know what you find...

·
Registered
299 Posts
outrun said:
atomicalex said:

Strange. Although I've pulled the DRL relay and am using a EuroSwitch, I do recall being able to turn on my headlights with the Ebrake on.

I'll have to double check.

-Craig
Confirmed. The headlights work fine with the ebrake on (with the DRL relay pulled and a Euroswitch installed).

-Craig

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: My b5 at it again......PLEASE HELP (Me too!!)

Nick,

What was the final resolution to your problem? I experienced the same thing yesterday (no lights, wipers, horn, HVAC, etc.) Still scratching my head! :???:

Thanks!

BTW - sweet B5 bro! :bow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts