Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I decided to make a thread about the visual and actually any mods (maintanence, etc) for my car. It will make it easier for people when they search.

I have been enjoying my 2003 Passat Wagon V6 for a while now but the suspension has really been annoying me as it's actually quite dangerous as it floats over bumps and continues to float and float and float.

I swapped out the tired old suspension for a fresh new Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni Orange suspension. The shocks/struts that came out of the car were totally blown - zero rebound...they just stayed put in the lowest position with almost zero "force" of your hand/finger. The new suspension has made a 1000% improvement! Now the car actually absorbs bumps. It doesn't float over them and continue floating and floating and floating. Massively reduced body roll, etc. I went with the Koni Orange shocks/struts because I do not track the car and I use it as my daily driver. I wanted a modern ride without having to adjust anything on a daily or even monthly basis so I went with the Orange shocks/struts. Same with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs - Daily driver with a more aggressive stance and I have used the Eibach's on my previous Jetta with very good results. Personally I liked the Tein H-Tech springs better than the Eibach's but I could not find the Tein H-Tech's for the 2003 Passat Wagon specifically (not the sedan, but the wagon specifically). But I honestly could not be happier with the Eibach/Koni combination. The car rides like new and body roll is massively reduced. But enough talk, onto the pics:

Before on top, after on bottom:

I really love the way it looks now. Before it was obviously taller but it had a larger gap on the front than the rear. Now that it's lowered with the correct Eibach Pro Kit springs it looks very level to me - not a good bit higher in the front, or a good bit lower in the rear.

For what it's worth here is the link for:

The Koni STR.T Orange shocks/struts: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/strt-shocks-struts-kit-set-of-four/82501001kt/

Eiback Pro-Kit springs: https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/vw-passat-eibach-pro-kit-12-00-05-wagon

The combo above fit perfectly and have a proper ride height. I might have mentioned it earlier but Modded Euro's has the exact spring kit specifically for our wagon's (Sedan springs have a different part number). When I was looking at pictures and threads of lowered Passat wagons some of them had noticably lower ride heights in the rear than the front (or the front a bit higher than the rear, etc) and I didn't want that. So upon searching and searching I started noticing that some sites that advertised that the Eibach springs fit a wagon the part number was the same part number as the sedan which explained the slightly sagging rear end pics so I was very pleased to find that Modded Euro's actually had the correct part number specifically for the b5.5 wagon and not the sedan.

The Koni STR.T's are absolutely perfect for a street driven car. I do not track the car - it is my daily driver and the suspension is finally proper. Absorbs the bumps well, not too harsh, massively reduced body roll in corners, It definitely looks better than stock, haha. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disclaimer: I know my car is not these cars but I LOVE how these cars look. The ride height, larger wheels, wheel stance (spacers), etc. I have one of these as my desktop background because I like the look so much. Here are the cars:

And

After I lowered my car the offset, or lack of wheel spacing, is more apparent now than ever before so I measured the spacing of the outside edge of the top of the tires to the edge of the wheel arches. I kept my factory 16" wheels but had new BFG T/A tires put on recently. In the front I measured 6 mm and the rear I measured 19 mm for a totally flush stance. I searched for hub centric wheel spacers on Amazon and found a combo 5 mm and 15 mm set with new bolts so I ordered them and they should be here early next week. I'll take before and after pictures from multiple angles and post them in this thread. Here are the spacers I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756N55QX/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
Lucky you, they only make these springs for the V6 B5.5 wagon, not the 4 cyl. They do however, make them for the B5 1.8t wagon. Interested in that measurement so I can determine whether I want to get the V6 springs or keep searching.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
Thanks for the measurements! Have you gotten the spacers on yet? It should look pretty good when you do.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
The only difference that I know of is that the B5s might have had a smaller stock shock diameter than the B5.5 and the valving is different to account for the difference in weight. That said, the B5.5 shocks/springs fit a B5 no problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I took a video after I put the spacers on one side of the car to get a very good before/after shot. In the beginning I wasn't thinking the spacers made a noticable difference but it showed up big time when I walked over to the stock side. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/o13JlNgWuiI

I am super happy with the wheel spacers. Hub centric, fit perfectly, and they came with longer bolts which I needed on the 10 mm rear spacers but not the 5 mm front spacers. Remember I posted a link to the spacers a few posts above with the pictures of the two Passat wagons. Ah forget that, here's the link to the four spacers I ordered, haha. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756N55QX/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before the spacers:

After the spacers:

And together in one pic:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I am going to check the tightness of the wheel bolts because there is definitely a vibration at higher speeds. It's not constant but after I knew, 100%, that there was a new vibration I took cruise control off and started experimenting with things trying to see what made it worse or better. The vibration is better when accelerating and the vibration comes back when I decelerate. The vibration is definitely there.

Yesterday when I took the car out for the first time after the spacers I didn't get above 50 mph. This time I went on the highway and the vibration is definitely noticeable at/above 60 mph, 70 mph, etc.

I'll keep the forum updated.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
I've been eyeballing those spacers for my A4. I have a feeling that your hub in the front isn't sticking out enough to engage the wheel center bore and unable to keep the wheel perfectly centered. Take off the front only and retest if you find that re-tightening does not solve. BTW 8mm fronts is perfect imo. They generally have a lip on them for the wheel to center.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking the same thing. The more I thought about the vibration - it is throughout the car, yes, but it is also in the steering wheel. I ordered longer wheel studs from Modded Euro's and when they get here I'll replace the factory studs with the longer studs and see where that leaves me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was talking about the vibration issue with my neighbor and I explained everything to him and when I got to the front spacers I told him that I think I put them on backwards. The beveled part of the ID of the spacers is facing inward towards the brakes, not outward towards the wheel. So tomorrow we are going to swap the spacers around so they are facing the correct direction and then go for another test drive. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took the front wheels off the car tonight and found that I only put one spacer on backwards. It might explain the vibration as the reverse spacer may not seat as well as the proper oriented spacer but obviously I swapped the backwards wheel spacer around and then put the wheels back on. We will see tomorrow if the vibration gets better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just realized the difference lol. I used turtle wax trim restore. holds up pretty well. super greasy/oily though
Haha. Thanks. :)

The vibration is still there. Definitely feels like if there was a tiny inbalance with the wheels before the addition of the spacers have made it accentuated so I'll bug NTB about re-balancing the wheels/tires.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
Haha. Thanks. :)

The vibration is still there. Definitely feels like if there was a tiny imbalance with the wheels before the addition of the spacers have made it accentuated so I'll bug NTB about re-balancing the wheels/tires.
Any update on this? Inquiring minds want to know. The price on those spacers is really attractive. Hoping not too good to be true.

Reactions: jale1
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.