Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having lived in San Francisco for most of my life, I never had problems with being allergic to anything. :D

Then I moved to Sacramento about 7 years ago and as each year goes by, I'm developing a stronger and stronger allergic reaction to the pollens, molds, wind, flowers, etc. :mad:

This year is especially bad. I'm sneezing. My eyes, throat, and nose itch. My eyes are watering and so is my nose. I took Benadryl last week which almost knocked me out while I was at work. :oops: Then I switched over to Claritin and it's helping but still... it's drying out my nose and throat like crazy. :nervous: So to help with that... I'm drinking water like mad .. now I'm peeing like crazy!! :suspicio: Good Lord when will this allergy season end!!

Anyone else feeling my pain??? :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Allergies suck. I see people with them all the time here in KY. I've been fortunate thusfar and never been bothered with any.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
In the same boat as you. Been with this allergy crap for 3 weeks now. All the trees are blooming and the grass is growing etc. I actually went home early from work one day this week because of it.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
When I was young I was allergic to everything:
Eggs, cats, dogs, dairy, wheat, corn, potatoes, (gluten), cituric acid, peanuts, pennicillan, opiate derived pain meds, dust, grass, pollen, mold.

I stopped noticing the symptoms at age 24 or so and got tested for allergies last year (27 ). They doctor told me that I am allergic to only pennicillan... For many age brings on allergies that in youth were never an issue. For some age causes allergies to remitt. I got REALLY lucky with that...

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
Having lived in San Francisco for most of my life, I never had problems with being allergic to anything. :D

Then I moved to Sacramento about 7 years ago and as each year goes by, I'm developing a stronger and stronger allergic reaction to the pollens, molds, wind, flowers, etc. :mad:

This year is especially bad. I'm sneezing. My eyes, throat, and nose itch. My eyes are watering and so is my nose. I took Benadryl last week which almost knocked me out while I was at work. :oops: Then I switched over to Claritin and it's helping but still... it's drying out my nose and throat like crazy. :nervous: So to help with that... I'm drinking water like mad .. now I'm peeing like crazy!! :suspicio: Good Lord when will this allergy season end!!

HA! I saw this topic and said that must be someone in Sac.

Sacramento is considered one of the worst places in the country for allergies. I live out in Folsom which is really bad. The wind blows everything into the foothills. Roseville and Rocklin are even worse!

Between the Coastal range and those plants, the farmland, and Sacramento having more trees per capita then any other US City it gets BAD.

I lived in Seattle for a few years and when I came back I thought I was going to die from allergies.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I wish it was warm enough here to worry about allergies.
They are talking about snow here on Monday!!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Postman said:
OneGuyInCA said:

HA! I saw this topic and said that must be someone in Sac.

Sacramento is considered one of the worst places in the country for allergies. I live out in Folsom which is really bad. The wind blows everything into the foothills. Roseville and Rocklin are even worse!

Between the Coastal range and those plants, the farmland, and Sacramento having more trees per capita then any other US City it gets BAD.

I lived in Seattle for a few years and when I came back I thought I was going to die from allergies.
So true!! With all the nice sunny weather we've been getting, I can't complain... but hell... the end result of getting warm weather is a killer to my body!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
mine were so bad in Davis I had to use an inhaler a couple days out of the year.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
I had a few allergies in NJ,mostly tree pollen which is a very short (2 week) season. I got
down here in Oct 86,next fall I woke up with asthma. I had not had any since I was a little
kid and even then it was only in severe cold.
It had gotten worse over the next 15 years. I went to an allergist and have been getting
shots each week to build up immunity. After 3 years it is starting to work. I am allergic
to Bermuda grass,the most common kind here. From spring break until it hits 95 degrees and
then again in Sept until 1st frost I suffer.
Claritin did nothing for me. Zytec and Nasacort work pretty good. I carry an inhaler at all times.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I live in San Jose and I am going crazy! I have been trying everything...

In order of what I have tried...

1. Chlor Trimeton (good for light allergies)

2. Clarinex (took a few days, but this really helps)

3. Doctor put me on Nasonex... seems to be working.

Non-Medical things to do (I don't really like taking meds very long):

1.. HEPA air filter purifier for the bedroom (I have 2 dogs who sleep in there too... helps a bit...)

2. The latest and weridest thing to try out. Just got my kit yesterday.... Its called Jala Neti... check out this link, http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/neti.html take a look at the pictures, laugh your ass off, then consider trying it. Sutra Neti is just way to weird for me to try out :p It seemed to work pretty well... I am going to try it again today.

3. Wash your face and hands often...this really helps.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
InkBlue said:
2. The latest and weridest thing to try out. Just got my kit yesterday.... Its called Jala Neti... check out this link, http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/neti.html take a look at the pictures, laugh your ass off, then consider trying it. Sutra Neti is just way to weird for me to try out :p It seemed to work pretty well... I am going to try it again today.
That's wacked!! Actually what I've tried and works wonders is to breath hot steam. I get a pot, boil some hot water, grab a towel, and drape the towel over my head which is over the hot pot. Gotta be careful not to burn yourself with the hot steam though but it works like a charm. It's great therapy for people when they're sick. Cleans out the sinuses and everything.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Haha, it is pretty crazy, but its like a shower for your nose... I also tried the same steaming method you mentioned! That actually works well too! Its like a sauna for your nose! :p

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
anyone here try allergy shots? I talked to the doctor about it, and I'm debating it because my allergies are way bad. I just want to hear some experiences. Takes 1 year to work, and need to keep doing it for 3-4 years... going back MANY times for shots.. I estimated a good $500.00 out of my pocket to pay the deductibles over the next 3-4 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts