Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

My AEB and the hole in my wallet .. *sharky

2K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  PassatVariantPunk 
#1 ·
Well the less than gentle gentleman from VWVortex - TheFNman- has managed to jerk me around twice in this deal gone quite sour. The 150 turbo he promised would work is indeed deemed non-functioning by the dealership (White VW in Greeneville, SC). I will be in the works on recooping my money and being sure he gets his product back.

They have a suitable turbo, new in stock, for 720ish. I would get a new turbo, labor, the gaskets, new heat shielding, and supply lines for about 1300. I got to do it.

The cam seals are bad, and so is a check valve which I forget the name of right now.

Total if I wanted it ALL fixed, a mere 1900. Near 1/3 the cost of the car to me.

I am regretting this purchase.

#3 ·
At this point both. I will get my money back for the turbo. I will not get the money back for the car.

Hands down the WORST day possible ever in my life. I thank you Sharky, AtomicAlex, ScubaGLS, djaero, and a few others who have offered kind words, offered help, gifted me with parts, and talked me through this. I need all I can get cuase honestly, this is my first car and the first honest to God reason I have in my life to want to kick someone in the teeth.

#4 ·
That sucks man If I added all the Auto repair service orders I have paid for my car it would easy be 10,000 (including abs control, icm, clutch, flywheel, motor, all hoses ,timing belt, tensioner, mounts three different times, plus other belts vacuum lines turbo etc.... :( ) anyhow good luck man with the passat if you want to keep it maintained your in it for the long haul :roll: . But it is the nicest 4cyl sedan I have driven 8)

#5 ·
Yeah....sometimes used is good...sometimes not. Then again sometimes new is crap too. Look man, we all make decisions that in hind sight we would make differently. That amount of money sounds absolutely painful for a stock turbo tho. I mean a GT28R is about that same money, Of course there are adapters to buy, make, etc.

How much is the labor running you? If you lived closer, I would be more than happy to help ya with an install.

#7 ·
What happened to your AEB? The turbo failed. There is a GB for K04 going on here. You may want to consider that so afterall you are getting something better than before and therefore make yourself feel better. (esp. when you step on the gas hard) :wink:

Good luck, man!

#8 ·
K04 .. oh I do wish. But I can't spend one more dime guys. The turbo the dealer has on the shelf is brand new, ready to mount.. about 700 bucks he said. The 1300 is for new oil supply lines, labor, new heatshielding, and other necessary components such as banjo bolts and gaskets.

I mean the K04 sounds nice. But the wait too is tough to handle along with the stress the added HP/Torque, I frosee a problem on the weakening AEB.

Hha I love the idea in allhonesty. Would be great to boost this puppy up. I may not cry so much over the cost then if I get those extra numbers.. but again.. I got to be poor about my decision. The cost of the labor is just more money I can't afford then if I did go K04. Having no money forces one to make the right decisions I heard once in a song.

The car could be done as early as tomorrow afternoon.

X I would loved to have known sooner. I would be glad to make the trip to you.. what's another few quarts of oil :D

About the turbo you almostbought.. the guy Shuan Tjempka is his name.. spelled the last name wrong.. but.. he is pretty uncooperative. The funds transferred through paypal have been deducted once more. I will send the turbo back. He cn have it .And if it is not broken like he says, then should have no problem selling it.

Thanks for everybody's support. :thumbup:

#9 ·
Just a worm on a hook but you can look on the E-Bay for turbos' as well. They have them, but as always, just be careful who you buy from. Check their feedbacks and their return policies. In fact I think right now their are a few brand new K03's going for $200 or so....Wait one.

Yup! Check out auction: 2462122309 or 2462036340.

That's just an example, but they are out there. And if you buy one on there and use your credit card to pay: Your Covered!

Hope you get your situation improved! 8)

#10 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
K04 .. oh I do wish. But I can't spend one more dime guys. The turbo the dealer has on the shelf is brand new, ready to mount.. about 700 bucks he said. The 1300 is for new oil supply lines, labor, new heatshielding, and other necessary components such as banjo bolts and gaskets.

I mean the K04 sounds nice. But the wait too is tough to handle along with the stress the added HP/Torque, I frosee a problem on the weakening AEB.

Hha I love the idea in allhonesty. Would be great to boost this puppy up. I may not cry so much over the cost then if I get those extra numbers.. but again.. I got to be poor about my decision. The cost of the labor is just more money I can't afford then if I did go K04. Having no money forces one to make the right decisions I heard once in a song.

The car could be done as early as tomorrow afternoon.

X I would loved to have known sooner. I would be glad to make the trip to you.. what's another few quarts of oil :D

About the turbo you almostbought.. the guy Shuan Tjempka is his name.. spelled the last name wrong.. but.. he is pretty uncooperative. The funds transferred through paypal have been deducted once more. I will send the turbo back. He cn have it .And if it is not broken like he says, then should have no problem selling it.

Thanks for everybody's support. :thumbup:
If you are smart and have some time.....and another hooptie to frive around for few days......YOU WOULD DO ALL THIS YOURSELF!!!

I'll tell you right now....you will regret not getting a k04......and you should put this thing on yourself. Its really not that hard!!!

I have 105000 miles on my car spiking at 20 psi......K04'ed for 20k.....

I think K04 is more reliable then chipped 1.8t.....

Just do it!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#11 ·
Those ebay turbos dont seem to fit my AEB. Thanks though. That was another problem with the turbo, the guy said it wont fit anyhow. Is this true? A 2002 Passat turbo not fitting on a 98 AEB?

The K04 I know I know I wouldnt regret it. But the money is a HUGE issue for me. I dont have any of it! I still got to pay for rent, utes, insurance, car payment, and groceries..... I'm on my own at school. I do not see it financially feasable for a K04.

#12 ·
It is my understanding that all K03's and K04's will fit. They may be just curved differently. But the housing are the same. I would prefer to have newer model turbo as it might be curved just a little differently to make more HP. You may also have to change the orientation of the housing also (very easy, just take out some bolts, re-orient, tighten back up). I have an AEB with a later model K04.

the guy said it wont fit anyhow
If the dealership is telling you this, it's because they have to tell you this. Ask the turboguys and they'll tell you something different.

If any of this is wrong please let me know...

#14 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
Those ebay turbos dont seem to fit my AEB. Thanks though. That was another problem with the turbo, the guy said it wont fit anyhow. Is this true? A 2002 Passat turbo not fitting on a 98 AEB?
quote]

i feel like i have to explain myself here...... i sold him the turbo and it works fine, took it out of my friends 02 passsat to put in a Ko4

Here is the story...........

i placed the turbo for sale on vortex with every detail i knew of including the part number to it...... now that i see he has an AEB im sure the turbo wouldnt work on there... and this would be the reason i put the part number down....
Any way i accept payment on the turbo and the next day i promised to ship it out which i did.... now UPS comes to my job to pick up everyday and gives out a trackung number, the tracking num wont be avaliable till the part gets back to the warehouse which is the evening... So because the num didnt work right away and i wasnt sitting at my computer this jackass puts a complaint in with paypal and takes the money back out of my account. So the next day or even that night when the trackuing number was good he cancelled the complaint.. Now this turns into a hassle, i ending up bouncing 2 checks cause the money coming in and out of the account...
The turbo came out of a perfectly running car with like 40k on it jsut to upgrade and i would be more than willing to work with this guy but he has jsut been a huge pain since the whole tthing started, he talked me down on the price and made it a huge ordeal, so i got 150 for a working turbo minus 15 for shippping and 60 in bounced checks

thats my story so whatever this kid can go F off

#15 ·
Thanks for the eye buddy. I contacted my fellow B5 owner and PA resident. I hope to hear from him soon.

He mentioned about a new FPR, plugs, and chip. Now , I dont NEED these things do I guys? These upgrades just assure me of top performance yes? The car will run -albeit a little quicker than the K03 - with the K04 minus these parts, yes? What gaskets would I need for this too? Gaskets from the turbo manufacturer.. or the regualr gaskets from VW?

This K04 I would buy: it is less than 5,000 miles used, from a fellow AEB engine, costs much less than a K03 (albeit a minor 5,000 mile difference), and would of course attract me all the ladies .... :D

CLUBB5.. I really would be way out lost in left field if it weren't for yall. In my frustration and distress I might lose sight of things.. you guys help keep me squared away with your reasonable advice, generosity and awesome kindness. Thanks to each of you.

#16 ·
PVP,

I just read through the thread on Votex and I have to say I hope that if you can put something together with the seller from PA that you exercise more patience in your dealings with them. I understand the frustration of having a car that doesn't work and needing to get it taken care of but you've got to leave time for the seller to get the parts shipped out as well. If you had been a bit more patient you wouldn't have had to post the apology for accusing him of providing phony tracking numbers. Of course having read the thread in its entirety, it would appear that his post above isn't entirely accurate either :suspicio: . He did give an indication that the turbo would work on your car (although you should have done more homework as well - caveat emptor) when he posted that it would work for another owner with the same year and model, and HE offered the part for $150.00 and wasn't as he said, talked down to that price.

As for what else you'll need, I would recommend visiting a site that sells the turbo new and find out what they recommend. I've heard that new plugs is a good idea but as far as a chip/gaskets etc. I can't honestly tell you. I wish you luck on getting this resolved and getting your B5 going again. :thumbup:

#17 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
Hands down the WORST day possible ever in my life. ...

I need all I can get cuase honestly, this is my first car and the first honest to God reason I have in my life to want to kick someone in the teeth.

Hey man, you're young, but don't worry, there will be worse days ahead for you! This isn't the bottom yet... :roll: :wink:

As for the car giving you a reason to kick in someones teeth, don't blame it on the car. It looks like most of this situation could have been avoided with a little research and patience. It never hurts to ask a question or two of the folks here at CB5. I've been here since the very beginning of this site and have met some great folks here with lots of knowledge. In the future, if you don't know, ask first before you spend your hard earned money. It sucks to be a college student on a budget with a taste for expensive things. Like I said before, there are worse things that could have happened and or will happen to you in the future.

Chin up! :)

Hey, BTW, I've got this turbo out of a Saab that I'm almost 84.3% positive that will fit your car. It's yours for $75. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :roll:

#18 ·
Chas, so uplifting :lol:

Worst may have been a stretch..I was spazzing for sure... all days are pretty darn good my man.. I just let a little thing like this rob my joy and take my focus away from what truly matters. All will surely work out in the end. I am promised.

And to follow up on the comments per the first turbo sale, I am sure I could have done many things to make it go better. Hindsight is amazing like that. I like to think of people as all wanting to help out and be honest.. obviously not the case but Im not going to immediately take someone and form this bad wrap about them. No, instead leave it to them to earn it. Shaun and I talked a lot.. I am sure he was annoyed by the amount of asking questins. Research was done, things were promised. It is the best I can do short of going there to inspect the turbo myself.

Every prudent man acts out of knowledge, but a fool exposes his folly. Proverbs 13:16
Best to be prudent, Stephen.

#21 ·
A turbo out of a 2002 Passat is an exact fit for all Passat 1.8T U.S. engine codes, including AEB. The running changes to the K03 over the years do not affect the install. See this thread for model numbers and other info. http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59439&sid=b1bb2448dba599154d31a366a57ed5b4

Of course, if the turbo is shot, the fit doesn't matter. But if "verified to not work" means the part number doesn't match exactly, so a VW certified mechanic won't do the install because he thinks it won't fit, that would be an error.

Signed, A Fool. :shock:

#23 ·
So yall say the turbo does indeed fit. But if its like the guy said, broken, there isn't much I can do.

I have come to the conclusion there is no cheap repair.

After some though while PTing this morning, I think it is time to just toss in the towel to the dealer.. and say fix it. The K04 makes me drool but in time I will have a fast, stealthy, performance minded wagon....for being so young.. I got it good. My wagon, smokey as it is right now.. is a great ride and with a warranted repair such as this... I see no problem keeping the car for another 90,000. I will keep up wth maintence, taking care of it best I can.

My time will come when the good Lord deems it the right time. God since your listening, I like the RS6 Wagon and the M5 :weirdo:

Going to call the dealer NLT COB today to advance the plans. If there are any last minute revelations folks.. please don't hesitate to PM or post. :thumbup:

Being content, Stephen.

#24 ·
Out of curiosity, what makes this Turbo "Bad"? I think once again, they don't want to install it because it's not "numbered" for that vehicle. It's probably still good. You should be able to physically tell: loose, binding, etc. if it's bad.

#25 ·
The point everyone is trying to help with here is that dealers have a reputation for specifying/insisting on parts that they can sell and make a profit. Imagine that! See recent post on spark plugs if you need another example. Tough for a young guy trying to get his car fixed to figure out who to trust.

What is more likely though? A Vortexer with 3000+ posts trying to sell a part he claims was running fine when it came out of a late model car when the turbo was upgraded, but is actually fried, or a dealer claiming the part is bad, cannot be used and ready to sell a turbo for $720 which is probably remanufactured and a total service bill of $1300. Also, wasn't the heat shield and supply lines subject to a TSB and soft recall for no charge?

Dealers making money isn't a crime and installing used parts is problematic for any shop, but maybe they should just say that, I know I've heard it before.

#26 ·
ONE8T -

I do recall the heat shield being of recall material as well. Where could I look for this? I may start calling around today. I haven't paid for it yet so I will see when they charge me what they did incorrectly and what was fair.

The turbo, I mean no comments at this point. I don't have it in my posession. The part not fitting, I know is a line of crap. That is why I didn't argue with the dealer. Instead I moved onto the next point, is it broken? He assured me there is much play in it; deeming the purchasesd used turo useless even when it was installed. Funny to note he said it installed as if it would be no problem.. no problem to install a part that wouldn't fit two breaths ago? Honestly.... anyhow.

I am not arguing with any of the CB5ers here at all. All thier honest advice and assesments are taken with much appreciation. Sharky and Scuba have really been a huge help. As well as many others - noted by their wisdom and careful words- in the thread.

The number of posts I don't see as an indicator for trustworthiness or knowledge. I know as many foolish old people as I do young. And if you will note a key line above, then you will agree with me. PM me if you do not understand my referencing. If I put my head in the oven am I a muffin? What if I do it a lot?

The turbo, yes it will be remanufactured. I am confident in that. It will also come with a warranty. I will be sure to use that as well if need be.

What I would enjoy pursuing most from your post is the TSB/soft recall. Anyone with info on that? I am sure this would be a warranty type item; much like the recall on the tie rod ends. If it just doesnt work from the get go, they got to fix it on their own bill.

I hope to pick up the wagon Monday. The service was delayed due to the torrential pouring of snow this week in South Carolina. When I pick it up.. I will be sure to be breifed on all service performed. I will test drive it. I will let them do the speaking.. then ask questions. Prudence! If there are problems, they will be handled with accordingly. I am sure an honest dealership staff along with much patience, understanding and listening will fruit good things.

So heat shielding recall info?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.