Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
  1. So I decided to make a dumb decision and buy a used car 11144 miles on the dash 300 miles in alternator gave out in miserable hot ass Texas, anyone tell me what the hell I jus got myself into with this miss my ford

2. I got this hunk almost service position any guides on removing this radiator or the belt diagram, trying to jus wing it but I鈥檓 having a hard time putting this vehicle in service position to gain access to my pulleys, I鈥檓 used to working on a ford truck this is my first VW. Any help or links or pictures would help, I got the lights the bumber the brace off, and the LC connect off.
  3. Not a lot of guides or information in general on this model, I can鈥檛 afford the book rn either, any information at all would help cheers.

Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
German cars in general are unforgiving of uninformed servicers (or operators). If you can't afford a Bentley manual, the Haynes book has a lot of useful information for one-sixth the price. As for online help, there are write-ups here for most procedures, if you look for them.

Just flailing at it will probably not end well.

Registered
Welcome to the forum. Having come from working on domestics ( Dodge and GMC trucks ), not being able to see the ground while looking down from the engine bay is a telltale sign that working on VWs will be a treat.

There are some good guides with photos at Blauparts : VW Passat Front Bumper Removal Service Position

I didn't watch this video, but it might help :

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
  1. I got the snap and the ground off the alternator BITCH with all the ac condenser lines there and the bolts are out but it won鈥檛 budge It jus moves I鈥檓 assuming I gotta pry it out

Registered
Prying anything on these cars is never a good idea. But if your suggestions prying the alternator case away from the brackets, be gentle.

Moderator/Administrator
It does take a little bit of persuasion to free the alternator (2.8 or 1.8T). Just be mindful of what you pry against and make sure nothing bends or gets pinched.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it鈥檚 jus stuck, is it impossible to free the alternator without removing the condensate lines on the underside of the alternator, that鈥檚 prolly what I鈥檒l do but space is so limited I tryed 4鈥 channel locks and 4鈥 vice grips to try and free the clamp but looks like some dipshit broke the tabs on the clamps on the lines, still trying get it free nothing is holding it there I guess it鈥檚 jus stuck

Registered
Where are you located? If you are near Dallas, I have a Haynes manual you can pick up for free.
Here is a timing belt writeup, but the service position is the same. I also have a dead V6 block and alternator you can see how they go together.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I got it off and the new one on, is there anything in particular I should have the technicians check out before I leave? I鈥檓 going on a 1600 mile trip that鈥檚 why I bought this Passat. Should have jus gotten a rental but I guess we鈥檒l see 馃槄 was gonna have them check the brakes and timing belt

Registered
At 11 thousand miles on the odo nothing needs checking other than fluids. If you mean 111 thousand then the timing belt is due to be changed IMMEDIATELY. if not already done and documented as done somewhere. Check if anyone placed a sticker in the engnine compartment or front shroud above fan area that indicates mileage it was changed. Sadly this is an 800 to 1000 buck job at indi shop and well worth doing as you risk bricking the engine when it breaks.

Registered
Yup, timing belt should be replaced if not already done. Have someone familiar with VW check the belt condition and hope you are lucky in that it was already done. Depending on the year of the vehicle the "recommended lifespan" can be 80,000 or 100,000 miles and it is really not something you want to put off doing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I noticed something while I was driving, I was cruzing and was going slow watchIng the rpms cycle and when the light went green I gave it gas and it went high rpm no cycle when I was pressing accordingly but wasn鈥檛 wanting to give power above 20mph, I switched to fourth and it started cycling and working normally, different rpm cycle but I wasn鈥檛 jus sitting holding up traffic, I switched back to drive and it worked normally again shortly after at another red light, I jus left the mechanic, and I also heard timing belts looking fairly new and still going out, I鈥檓 planning on taking a 1600 mile trip and can鈥檛 afford this repair rn, any chance I screwed with something, I hope not ;-; it鈥檚 working now like a dream parked getting food atm

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Bump because this was scary asf with my wife In the car and four lane traffic barreling towards you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts