Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TCM is failing on my 2000 B5 1.8T, made in 1999, now with 201,000 k . Check engine light is on, when stopped in idle the D on the dashboard gear indicator goes out and she shakes, but once on the gas she’s fine, except for the piercing alarm of Emission Workshop! on the dash.

This is the fourth time it’s been to the mechanic to have this looked at. The drains, including sunroof drains are clear of leaves, but the bottom of my windshield under the hood is rusted out. My mechanic has tried to patch it, but water keeps getting under the carpet and shorting the TCM. The bottom corner panels behind the front tires just above the plastic trim are also rusting, so I know the whole car is rusting away. I’ve asked my mechanic to relocate the TCM to beneath the passenger front seat, above the carpet. He says if the damp can’t be stopped I still need to worry about mould, to which I said I want this car to last until the end of 2022, then we can scrap her. It’s too bad, I really enjoy this car. The mechanic has been very fair with costs, not charging me to redo any previous work, but she’s soon to be a goner.

I like the B5, the last generation made in Germany I believe. Maybe I’ll look for another here in Toronto, Canada, though any local car will also have the rust. I had my Krown Coated every November since I acquired it in 2014.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I’ll help you arrange shipping for a German one - take your pick:

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
You should buy one from Texas. No rust on any of mine, but the interiors were all falling apart from the heat.
Another option is that Flex Seal stuff they sell on TV, it sticks to anything and makes it watertight,

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2001.5 V6 GLX and I live in Mississauga. I drive the car in the winter although for the last 6 years I have not. I have never Rust Checked the car and the only place I had a bit of rust was under the back license plate on the trunk. I sanded it and repainted it and have never had an issue again with rust there. My car is virtually rust free with very very minor rust on the underside of the car. Just curious why so much rust in those places ????? My car has 355K km on it and I am the original owner. Do you know where the car was before you owned it???

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,562 Posts
Rust is not a big problem on these cars, unlike 1970s General Motors cars (been there ... done that).

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Rust is not a big problem on these cars, unlike 1970s General Motors cars (been there ... done that).
Here Here.
My dad purchased a 1972 Buick Skylark in late 1976, you could already see through the doors and the trunk was so rotted he lost the spare tire one day going over a set of railroad tracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts