Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my own oil for the first time today! Here's how it came about: I had my belly cover come off (front screws only) because the a**#01e that changed oil/filter before didn't put it back properly. I went to VW and got 3 new screws ($14.99 each! OMFG! stealers! they also charged me $10 for 1.8t oil filter!), but after changing oil today (which I usually do @ 5k, but since I wanted to put cover back on and I have a friend visiting this week I did it @ only 4100 miles today) I saw that the holes were ripped apart in the front and it was useless.

Questions: 1. how much does it cost? I imagine it's at least $100, which is a lot for me for a piece of plastic right now. Also a matter of princile principle (go ahead, alugh). 2. Is it really bad driving with it off? I live in SoFLA, but will be taking a trip to NYC and back (to get the rest of my stuff) end of this month - hopefully I won't encounter snow and it's buddy, salt. Other cars don't have covers and, although I can't see it hurting in any way, I thing it's also not absolutely needed. Unless they designed the engine after the cover, so that it needs it. 3. if the answer to 1 is "a lot" and 2 "yes", what are my options? I don't know any junk yards around here (do they even exist in SoFLA?), and shipping would probably kill any savings I would get from an online retailer.

P.S. To whomever recommended using a 1 gal Ziploc bag over the old filter when removing it - awesome tip, thanks a bunch! W/o this I would've spilled so much more oil! Needless to say, I replaced the filter from above.
P.P.S. I have verified it, the drain plug on my 2000 1.8t is 19mm in size. I got a 20-piece set with a 3/8" drive wrench with both metric and "SAE" sockets, but you can get a dedicated high-quality combination wrench (both opened & closed) for about $11 @ Sears (they also have combo closed 17mm & 19mm, probably more useful).
P.P.P.S. It was a bit messy, although also probably attributable to my newbieness. I will be looking into extractors, if just to be informed. If I do replace my belly cover, it will become more important :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i used an oil extractor just last week, and it worked really well. you have enough top access to get to the oil filter from the top (once you move the coolant tank) on my '00 1.8t. i picked up (5) Mann OE filters for under $5 a piece (excl. ship) at ecstuning.com

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, no new washer. But here's the dirt:

1) Mann OEM filters, W719/30, come with a washer _in the box_. The ones I ordered from parts4vw did. Not sure if brass/crush, cuz I wasn't doing my own.
2) I specifically told the last shop (the ones who cost my my belly cover) to put the washer on. They were like "yeah, we know about washers." Yeah, right.
3) The filter I got from Borton VW of Delray Beach, FL last week, for which they charged me $9.95 + tax, did _not_ come with a washer in the box! It looked identical to the Mann OEM I had gotten previously (which I couldn't get this time, cuz I would not contribute to the stealers if I can avoid it), but it didn't say Mann anywhere on box or filter (box was full of small Audi/VW print, similar to European currency), nor was a crush washer included.

I left the old washer on, which didn't look very crushed (and it certainly didn't look like it was made out of brass, as you suggest). But, does this mean that VW itself doesn't care, or did they sell me an incomplete filter at 300% markup? I can't imagine these things costing more than $2.50 to buy in bulk (which should say something about them - or about the engine, that it's meant to use these filters and it does just fine with them :) ).

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
thats some bs right there

the new screws ive found for about 6 bucks ( to the belly pan) ( im looking for the sight now)

i got a new oem filter and plug for 9.95 at my dealer ( not the best price but pretty good)

the belly pan is mostly to keep dirt and crap out of your engine compartment ( its not going to do to much since its plastic in the way of protection

i hear it adds some mpg to the average but thats been up for debate

also the timeing belt is a little close to the ground but if your hitting stuff that hard then your go problems already

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
MasTRE said:
P.S. To whomever recommended using a 1 gal Ziploc bag over the old filter when removing it - awesome tip, thanks a bunch! W/o this I would've spilled so much more oil! Needless to say, I replaced the filter from above.
Holy crap am I a dope. I never thought of using the ziplock bag! Could have saved me a small fortune in kitty litter over the years. :oops:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
My belly pan ran me $120 when my wife hit a traffic cone. However, it would have really sucked if bits of cone had gotten up into the belts at 70mph, and I figure the $120 was cheap at the price. Amazingly, even though the belly pan was cracked in several places, I didn't lose a single fastener.

In the future, either ECStuning.com or autobahnfluids.com can sell you OEM filters for a heck of a lot less than $10. ECS tuning will even toss in a new plug/washer for a buck.

SirWired

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
yea but then you pay 5 bucks in shippnig and wait a week

so i still think its cheaper to pay the 10 bucks

but now im going to get the nappa #1333 supersized filter im not sure how much

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Not recommended to drive with it off:

1) Your wheel liners with aerodynamically get sucked into the tires causing a "V" to be worn into them.
2) It is the first line of defense for your accesory belt, oil pan, and tranny pan.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
rpaller said:

1) Your wheel liners with aerodynamically get sucked into the tires causing a "V" to be worn into them.
2) It is the first line of defense for your accesory belt, oil pan, and tranny pan.

Yeep what he said ^^^^^ listen to him

·
Registered
402 Posts

Heed this good advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last time I checked it costed much more to replace the oil and or tranny pans than it was to purchase the plactic belly cover. A VW mechanic convinced me of that in just a few minutes after telling me stories of leaking oil pans etc and the worst -- complete oil loss. Even though it is plastic, it does provide some protection even though it can be a pain when changing oil.

It's up to you
SL

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah - it protects you from seeing you have a leak. Thanks, but no thanks - I'll drive w/o it. Most other cars don't have them, so unless they specifically designed the engine to fail w/o it, it should do fine.

Do Bimmers and Benzes have it? Honda, Toyota, Nissan?

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
MasTRE said:
Yeah - it protects you from seeing you have a leak. Thanks, but no thanks - I'll drive w/o it. Most other cars don't have them, so unless they specifically designed the engine to fail w/o it, it should do fine.

Okay, good luck with that then. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Last time I check VW included an oil dipstick and transparent fluid containers for all other critical fluids for visual inspections. You shouldn't have to rely on your or garage floor driveway to find leaks.

Volvo's at one time had a nearly enclosed engine bay and may still do so. Aside from the first line of defense pitched here, I am sure it provides for better airflow under the car to help attain the rather low drag coefficient.

You might want to work on securing your wheel liners because they will shred and look terrible in not time at all. Or you could simply remove them too. :wink:

If you have lowered your car, I would exercise extreme caution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My benz has a belly pan. But its alot easier to remove then the one on my b5.5
Using an oil extractor that I bought from griots garage makes life a lot easier when dealing with belly pans.

Dan

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
MasTRE said:

All good justification I am sure for removing an engineered item. Lets see .. we should have a lottery to see how long before the first post saying " My wheel well liners have holes worn in them .. what causes this? Or I just flipped up a 2" rock today and it destroyed my oil pan.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
For billions and billions of years, since the Earth's crust was first cooling, cars have roamed around the planet without ridiculous plastic belly pans.

Cheers to those who purchased a car so fragile it requires a thin piece of plastic to hold it together.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sharky said:
For billions and billions of years, since the Earth's crust was first cooling, cars have driven around without ridiculous plastic belly pans.

Cheers to those who purchased a car so fragile it requires a thin piece of plastic to hold it together.
Sharky,
How many Passats have you seen damaged because they didn't have a belly pan and how many Passats have you seen damaged with a belly pan?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
THe only damage I've ever seen to Passat due to a missing belly pan is to the front fender liners like they've already talked about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts