Noise: ok

Dunlop SP Sport A2 - 215/60/15
Worn out in 20,000 miles :thumbdow:
Dry handling: excellent :thumbup:
Wet handling: ok
Noise: ok through 15,000 - intolerable by 18,000 :thumbdow:

<EDIT>Bought the Turanza LS-H in 215/60/15
initial Impressions...
Dry handling: very good - as much grip as the SP A2, but with more sidewall lean-in
Wet handling: can't tell yet - seems okay so far.
Noise: quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet !!! :thumbup:
</EDIT>

Where do I go from here??? (Texas highway driving - fast&dry or fast&wet - no snow) I'm looking to match the Dunlop's handling with better treadlife and "normal" noise levels. I'd like to stay with the 215/60/15 size.

Potenza RE950?? Avid H4?? I want to avoid Michelin b/c of their cost. Suggestions Please...

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
Turanza-LS-H or LS-V. I have the H,nice ride,low noise
(at 15k so far). Just have to rotate often. They look almost
new. I expect to get 50K out of them. Non directional.
Ebinns has the LS-V,he is near your place. The H cost a lot
less than the V,not sure about the performance differences.
I will have the Konis in Monday if you want to take a ride
and try them out.
Paul.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PZ, looks like we're both night owls now... I post between feeding the twins.

Yeah, I'd like to take that ride w/ the Koni's in... Sat afternoon?

Are you sure the Turanza's aren't too soft to handle my driving style? I drove hard enough to scrape down the Dunlops in 20k.

Where do you get tires installed around here (DFW)? Do you use tirerack and a local shop to install, or do you go the NTB / Discount Tire route?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. - Accidentally hit "Submit" twice. :oops:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another vote for the Turanza LS-H --- love these tires. Very quiet, great on wet and dry roads, and I have no problems taking curves fast. I also considered the LS-V, but the price was too high.
Kevin

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you guys running stock sizes, or wider?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have 205/60/15s Turanza LS-Hs. I thought about the 215s, but I didn't want to sacrifice any more gas mileage, as I commute about 100 miles each day roundtrip.
Kevin

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
pete1 said:
PZ, looks like we're both night owls now... I post between feeding the twins.
Yeah, I'd like to take that ride w/ the Koni's in... Sat afternoon?

Are you sure the Turanza's aren't too soft to handle my driving style? I drove hard enough to scrape down the Dunlops in 20k.

Where do you get tires installed around here (DFW)? Do you use tirerack and a local shop to install, or do you go the NTB / Discount Tire route?
Actually I was at work at 4am.
I am headed out of town Friday,putting the shocks to good use.
The Turanzas seem to be wearing quite well. My wife has the Dunlops
and they are nearly shot with 20K on them. My Turanzas have 15k and
show only a little wear. I am happy with both the wet and dry grip. I
thought the Dunlops were great in the wet,but not that good in the dry.

I got the tires at Firestone. They beat Tireracks price before I asked. I
just told them I was shoppping around. With 15" wheels,I would get the
215/60/15. They fill the wheel wells better.

I will be back Tuesday,we can gtg then.
Paul.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Costco quoted me the best price on LS-Hs--$101 including everything except tax.

Also look into November, 2003, Consumer Reports. They compare 18 performance touring all season tires. The LS-H is best if you prefer top handling, the Falken 512 slightly out-points them if you need tops wet braking. The Falken 512 is about $75 for everything including tax at Big-O, or $35 mail order at Superlowtires.com!

The local "Expert Tire" shop, part of Bridgestone-Firestone, wanted to sell me Firestone LH30s for $79 or LS-Hs for $121. The Firestone LH30s were last on Consumer Reports' list...poor wet braking, poor handling, high rolling resistance.

Ken

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been meaning to get that Costco membership... now I've got one more reason.

@KLS - "Everything" means?
1) remove and dispose of old tires
2) balance & install of new tires
3) 4-wheel alignment check
4) balance and rotate for life of tire
5) road hazard warranty

I'm guessing 1 & 2 only for $101+tax. Please let me know...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest price quotes... (including 1, 2, 4, and 5 from above)

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
$550+tax from Firestone :thumbdow:
$425+tax from Costco :thumbup:

Yokohama Avid H4
$380+tax from Discount Tire

Looks like I'm gonna get a Costco membership. 8)

Last edited on 10/12

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's from Costco... $425+tax, as advertised. Nice! See top of thread for more info. They had to special-order - only three days to get in!!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Odd, my Dunlop Sport A2's are very quiet, offer only basic handling (no on center feel, no turn in response, but they do hold their line fairly well) and are horrendeous in any amount of water. I am running 225/50/16.

Even my wife, who knows nothing about cars, but drives with the hammer down, slows to a crawl in the rain with these tires on.

I am seriouslly contemplating selling these next year at a loss and getting the Continental Extreme Contacts.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda_to_VW said:
Odd, my Dunlop Sport A2's are very quiet, offer only basic handling (no on center feel, no turn in response, but they do hold their line fairly well) and are horrendeous in any amount of water. I am running 225/50/16.

Even my wife, who knows nothing about cars, but drives with the hammer down, slows to a crawl in the rain with these tires on.

I am seriouslly contemplating selling these next year at a loss and getting the Continental Extreme Contacts.
I don't disagree with you - tire experiences can vary widely. With the 16's, you probably have a V6 GLX? Maybe the greater weight makes the difference? I'm driving a 1.8T GLS Variant. Also, with 15's, there is only so much road feel I can get anyway... even a "V-rated" xxx/60/15 will have some slop in the handling compated to an "H-rated" xxx/50/16.

I did have to dial-in the tire pressue on the SP-A2's. 34psi=poor lateral grip, but good wet performance; 30psi=great grip, but lots of roll and wallow. Exactly 32 psi and everything worked fine. FWIW, my SP-A2's were very quiet until 15k, and then suddenly got very, very loud. I would not buy these tires again.

A 24.8" diam, 225mm wide tire has a pretty wide contact patch. The width/length ratio of the patch will affect wet performance when compared with the stock 195/65/15 or 205/55/16. You may want to play with your tire pressure and see how it affects your handling and wet performance.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
V6 GLS.

I know about the width = lower wet traction. I have played with air pressure as well, varying between 32 and 36. I am happiest with the handling at 36. Anything below 32 and it's just as you described - wallowing! Ride does improve on potholes as well - Buick style.

Not a 'recommended' tire on my list either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts